Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 108
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO

  2. #27
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,197
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    Rainy days are the days I can't draft anybody, they're all drafting me!

    Marc
    Marc, I should have fenders for that ride, so if you can keep down the pace, feel free to draft me!

  3. #28
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helluva is on my list every year. But I live close enough that if it's going to rain, I stay home. More often than not, heat and the UV index are the issues, not rain. I can't say that I have THE distinctive recumbent anymore; but I CAN say that we're all in the same group.

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you saying B.P. you ridin a diamond frame now?

  5. #30
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    What are you saying B.P. you ridin a diamond frame now?
    Nope, but last year when I rode my highracer, someone else showed up with a similar one. There's probably less than a dozen or so in the States, so figure the odds??? There were also a few faired contraptions, from a velomobile to a couple of F-40s. So I'm not the ONLY fast recumbent anymore. We all know each other, though.

    I'm doing some extensive bodywork on the carbon lowracer in my avatar. I sure hope I can get it on the road this year, but there's a lot of work to do!

  6. #31
    Senior Member irwin7638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Posts
    2,446
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had an obligation come up and won't make it for the May 5th ride, but probably will for One Helluva Ride, I plan to make the Torch Lake ride this year also, I was in the area last year and it looked like that will be a beautiful way to spend a day.

    Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

    "I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

    "You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

  7. #32
    Senior Member Steve Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Livonia, MI (suburban Detroit)
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep yer fingers crossed - weather is looking Ok for the MGST at the moment - partly cloudy and 68.

    I indicated my intent to do the 45-mile ride, but considering the 27 miles I did last Saturday is the most I've done in one shot all season, I'm not sure I'm ready for the 45. On the other hand, the 27 had lots of little hills, and I understand MGST is pretty flat. I'm hoping to get a quick 20 in tomorrow after work, so we'll see how I feel about things on Sunday.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to a new ride that's just starting up this year Gran Fondo Grand Rapids It's new, so I know nothing about the route or how well it's organized but I'm going to try to make it if I can.

  9. #34
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just visited the AABTS site. What's interesting is they make a mass migration down to Kentucky for the Horsey Hundred on Memorial Day weekend. Come to think about it, there always seems to be good representation from MI on the major local rides.

    Looks like a fun ride. Probably a tough sell for the anchors. Any good outlet malls up there?

  10. #35
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ping jockey View Post
    Here's a link to a new ride that's just starting up this year Gran Fondo Grand Rapids It's new, so I know nothing about the route or how well it's organized but I'm going to try to make it if I can.
    Holy Moly, I know it's for a good cause, but they better serve Perrier at the rest stops for that kind of fee.

    I could borrow a University of Louisville bike jersey for that one. I'm sure I'd be warmly received.

  11. #36
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did horsey last year. Went alone. You can see me sidling around the corner at 37 seconds, here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8Bf...yer_detailpage

    Not going this year, but maybe next year.

  12. #37
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I did horsey last year. Went alone. You can see me sidling around the corner at 37 seconds, here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8Bf...yer_detailpage

    Not going this year, but maybe next year.
    Wow. Last year was unseasonably hot and strong riders said to hell with it and cut it short.

    Unfortunately the ride always falls on my anniversary so there's little chance I'll be given the OK for that one.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holly, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I'm a noob training for a 5 day/250 mile tour in August. The 64 mile OHR ride might be a fun fit into my schedule. Is it rookie friendly?

  14. #39
    Senior Member Steve Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Livonia, MI (suburban Detroit)
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Holy Moly, I know it's for a good cause, but they better serve Perrier at the rest stops for that kind of fee.
    I dunno - you can pay an entry fee of $25 to something like the Tour de Cure and be required to raise something like $300 to ride, or you can do something like this and just pay the $50. They do give you an option of raising $500 which completely waives the registration fee.

  15. #40
    Senior Member Steve Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Livonia, MI (suburban Detroit)
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHubbert View Post
    Hmm, I'm a noob training for a 5 day/250 mile tour in August. The 64 mile OHR ride might be a fun fit into my schedule. Is it rookie friendly?
    I've never ridden the OHR, but the events I've been to thus far are extremely relaxed - you get folks out with their dogs in trailers and in baskets, kids on their bikes with training wheels, teenagers in shorts and t-shirts on 20" bikes, recumbents, trikes, guys on $3000 road bikes in full kit. Half the fun is checking out all the different bikes and the people riding them!

    I'm planning on doing the metric at the OHR.

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holly, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    I've never ridden the OHR, but the events I've been to thus far are extremely relaxed - you get folks out with their dogs in trailers and in baskets, kids on their bikes with training wheels, teenagers in shorts and t-shirts on 20" bikes, recumbents, trikes, guys on $3000 road bikes in full kit. Half the fun is checking out all the different bikes and the people riding them!

    I'm planning on doing the metric at the OHR.
    Thanks, it's on the calendar!

  17. #42
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least for the Tour de Cure: Hampton roads, the minimum that had to be raised was $175 in addition to the registration fee. The Capital to Capital ride in VA is dependent on the distance you register for and the time at which you register(see below).

    2013 Registration for the Cap 2 Cap 2013 ride

    RIDE & DISTANCE BEFORE
    1/1
    BEFORE
    4/16
    BEFORE
    5/9
    RIDEDAY
    SyCom Century
    (100 mi)
    $55 $65 $75 $80
    Sands-Anderson Half Century
    (50 mi)
    $50 $60 $70 $80
    Busch Gardens Quarter Century (25 mi) $50 $60 $70 $80
    Youth (under 17)
    (any above ride)
    $35 $35 $35 $50
    Eco-Discovery Park Fun Ride
    Williamsburg
    (15 mi)
    $30 $35 $35 $40


    The website for full details. http://virginiacapitaltrail.org/cap2cap-ride/

    But back on topic--it looks like a good event.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  18. #43
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which tour ya doing, Chuck?

  19. #44
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, I do bike tours because I like to ride; and if they contribute some of the proceeds to a cause so much the better. Some of the 'charities' seem to have turned the tables, though. They want you to fund-raise until it hurts, and to reward you for your efforts they offer a bike ride. Those rides I don't do. If I want the charity to get money, I donate; if I want to ride I can go elsewhere.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holly, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Which tour ya doing, Chuck?
    A charity thing - you can read about it here: wheelsovermichigan.weebly.com For me it's an adventure that has the huge bonus of a cool (to me) cause, and it's helping me to lose weight.

    Ludington to Mackinaw City mostly up the coast; there are no hills, right?
    Last edited by ChuckHubbert; 04-30-13 at 03:16 PM.

  21. #46
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,197
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    I've had an obligation come up and won't make it for the May 5th ride, but probably will for One Helluva Ride, I plan to make the Torch Lake ride this year also, I was in the area last year and it looked like that will be a beautiful way to spend a day.

    Marc
    When is Torch Lake?

  22. #47
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,197
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Keep yer fingers crossed - weather is looking Ok for the MGST at the moment - partly cloudy and 68.

    I indicated my intent to do the 45-mile ride, but considering the 27 miles I did last Saturday is the most I've done in one shot all season, I'm not sure I'm ready for the 45. On the other hand, the 27 had lots of little hills, and I understand MGST is pretty flat. I'm hoping to get a quick 20 in tomorrow after work, so we'll see how I feel about things on Sunday.
    I haven't had a free dry evening for a practice ride for about three weeks! I think I may join you on the short ride. Keep in touch!

  23. #48
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,197
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHubbert View Post
    A charity thing - you can read about it here: wheelsovermichigan.weebly.com For me it's an adventure that has the huge bonus of a cool (to me) cause, and it's helping me to lose weight.

    Ludington to Mackinaw City mostly up the coast; there are no hills, right?
    dunno if you're kidding, but just fyi, there are a lot of hills. The road does not always hug the beach. When it leaves the beach on the western side of MI, it rises. Then you come back to the beach, and leave it again.

  24. #49
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,197
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHubbert View Post
    Thanks, it's on the calendar!
    Welcome, Chuck! If you're up in Holly, you are already used to some big hills for Michigan! I went riding there once with a friend from the Genessee club, and it was quite a ride. Started in Linden, I think and went west from there.

  25. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holly, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    dunno if you're kidding, but just fyi, there are a lot of hills. The road does not always hug the beach. When it leaves the beach on the western side of MI, it rises. Then you come back to the beach, and leave it again.
    I was kidding. And I think about those hills almost every day as I'm dropping tonnage, which was part of my motivation to commit to this ride.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •