Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I haven't had a free dry evening for a practice ride for about three weeks! I think I may join you on the short ride. Keep in touch!
    I was kicking myself for not having given you a call on Saturday. It only occurred to me after the wheels were rolling, but it sounds like you may not have been available anyway. My brother came up with an interesting variation on that ride to Milford through Kensington, starting on the Huron Valley trail instead of the state park. The advantage is it works in that nice hill over the "landfill mountain" south of the I-96 freeway. I hope to do that tonight. I meant to do that yesterday but I was riding with the wife who hasn't been on her bike since last September...

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done it yet this year, but I occasionally ride circuits of the park road at Island Lake. It's a drive for me, though -- 45 miles to the park entrance.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These don't seem to be official, but they claim to be maps for the 2013 MGST:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2360818

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2361084

My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2010 Raleigh One Way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the official Maps and Cue Sheets for Sunday's MGST. http://www.lmb.org/dcc/mgst/mgst2013mapsandcues.pdf Looks like great weather. See you there!!! P2
    Last edited by pinsonp2; 05-03-13 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Corrected URL
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Here are the official Maps and Cue Sheets for Sunday's MGST. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-...item5d3e696f3a Looks like great weather. See you there!!! P2
    Uhh.....thanks, Penny - but that's a link to a saddle on eBay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats funny!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2010 Raleigh One Way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that, one of those senior moments. I updated the link, but here goes again: http://www.lmb.org/dcc/mgst/mgst2013mapsandcues.pdf
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Sorry about that, one of those senior moments. I updated the link, but here goes again: http://www.lmb.org/dcc/mgst/mgst2013mapsandcues.pdf
    Thanks!

So - did you bid on that saddle?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Thanks!

So - did you bid on that saddle?
    no, it was for a friend to see.
    P2
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Chuck! If you're up in Holly, you are already used to some big hills for Michigan! I went riding there once with a friend from the Genessee club, and it was quite a ride. Started in Linden, I think and went west from there.
    Sorry, started in Lennon! So not REALLY close to Holly.

I'd call OHR newb-friendly. You get a good map with turn by turn, access to SAG assistance nearly immediately, a club organizing it that has handled this route for over 30 years, a well-marked road, assistance from local police at critical intersections, food stops, (did I say food stops sometimes have music?), lots of AABTS people riding and assisting along the route, and enough diversity of participants that anyone from toodler-level to near-US-pro can find someone at their pace.

It's wise for slower riders to keep right. Courtesy to other riders is always requested and is the standard, but people being what they are, faster riders will sometimes whiz past without announcing their presence. And there are cars permitted on the route - we're riding past places where people live.

It's a far cry from "we're all going to back of Jerry's Farm, that's where the food is! Follow the guys who know the route! Good luck, y'all!"

Showers/restrooms, water, bike rinsing, bike techs at the start point and at some of the rest stops. The hills ARE significant, this is river-and-lake country.
    Last edited by Road Fan; 05-04-13 at 07:38 PM.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I was not able to make MGST after all! My mother-in-law had some discomforts and 'twas decided to take her to the ER. Those who have been through this know that it's usually an all-day affair.

It was a relatively minor issue, but we don't take chances at her age.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip.... My mother-in-law had some discomforts and 'twas decided to take her to the ER. Those who have been through this know that it's usually an all-day affair.

It was a relatively minor issue, but we don't take chances at her age.
    Yep on the all day, been there done that, my mom just turned 84, heart problems at times. You chose well, you have the right priorities.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Yep on the all day, been there done that, my mom just turned 84, heart problems at times. You chose well, you have the right priorities.

Bill
    Thanks! She's 92.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone trying the Detroit Monday night slow rolls around Corktown?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyager, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
    Anyone trying the Detroit Monday night slow rolls around Corktown?
    Got a link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd call OHR newb-friendly.
    Thanks for the good information. I have early registration day marked my calendar and unless something comes up, I'm planning to do the metric century ride at OHR. It will be my first event. Should be fun!

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got a link?
    They're on facebook, but I am not a facebooker.

SlowRoll2013_2.jpg
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyager, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to bump this up - OHR is in just a few weeks, 7/13.

Who's probably in? Add your name. If you are staying overnight Friday or Saturday, let's get together for a bite to eat - Brewpub, Thai, American, ice cream cone, whatever; maybe even grilling at Chez Road Fan, on the magnificent 20+ year old Weber Kettle.

In past years some folks were interested in twinning OHR with the Ann Arbor Art Fair, but that is the next weekend 7/21. On that weekend Mr. and Mrs. Fan are considering going Up North for Ride Around Torch.

One Helluva Ride
    Road Fan
    Mrs. Road Fan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in and registered - planning on doing the 75-mile route, but I'm also doing my first metric this weekend at the Tour di Lago in Port Austin, so we'll see how that goes.

No need for me to stay overnight, as it's only a 40-minute drive from Livonia, but eating is always an option.

Also, if anyone else is going to Port Austin this Sunday, let me know - wouldn't mind some company on the ride as long as I'm not too slow fer ya...

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to bump this up - OHR is in just a few weeks, 7/13.

Who's probably in? Add your name. If you are staying overnight Friday or Saturday, let's get together for a bite to eat - Brewpub, Thai, American, ice cream cone, whatever; maybe even grilling at Chez Road Fan, on the magnificent 20+ year old Weber Kettle.

In past years some folks were interested in twinning OHR with the Ann Arbor Art Fair, but that is the next weekend 7/21. On that weekend Mr. and Mrs. Fan are considering going Up North for Ride Around Torch.

One Helluva Ride
    Road Fan
    Mrs. Road Fan
    I won't be making the OHR this year, our club has an event scheduled that weekend. I am considering the Ride Around Torch though. I was up there last year as part of a trip across the state, it looks like a great ride.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    I won't be making the OHR this year, our club has an event scheduled that weekend. I am considering the Ride Around Torch though. I was up there last year as part of a trip across the state, it looks like a great ride.
    I'm planning on doing the RAT metric, Marc. I agree - that does look like a great event.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have finally gotten in the saddle and done a few adjustment rides. Today we went 23 miles and my butt survived, so I'm pretty sure I can do SOMETHING on One Helluva Ride this year!

I think we'll target the 39 mile route, and if we feel well improvise some extensions to do a 50-something (50+?) ride.

Steve, how did your metric go up in the Thumb area? I hope you're still planning on OHR, I saw you were concerned about some physical stuff.

I don't know yet about RAT. Mrs. Road Fan was going to check with her friend about borrowing her cabin in the Chum's Corner area, but we don't know if that can happen.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The metric went OK. I've got a writeup 'round here somewhere.

I decided I'm tired of riding alone, so I'm joining some of my family on the 39 mile route at OHR, so our paths might cross. My brother & I am going to do an out-and back on the Border-to-Border trail tomorrow am if the weather cooperates.

I'm registered for RAT. I hope we have good weather for that.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    I'm planning on doing the RAT metric, Marc. I agree - that does look like a great event.
    If we have good weather it will be one of the more beautiful rides you can have. I rode part of the course on my way to Charlevois last year.
    I will be riding the metric as well, perhaps we can get together and ride for a while.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, when are you starting? Maybe Mrs Road Fan and I can join your family pace line?

for the OHR, still not sorted out on RAT. Have you found lodging near Torch?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast