Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: vacation pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vacation pic

This is from a picture taken last week in Joshua Tree National Park, where we hiked, scrambled and biked for 4 days. The effect is from one of those pencil sketch apps on my phone. The bike is a BikeFriday New World Tourist, which I traveled with for the first time. It will be the bike I take to Ride the Rockies in June. It was a fun trip (especially the hot springs about 15 miles from the park--where we stayed an additional 2 days )

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're riding a folder in the Ride the Rockies ride???
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    You should have seen what he rode last year in RtR. It was much heavier and with shifting problems that his new ride. And we had some really good climbs........Independence Pass, Trail Ridge Road.........
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    A good folder is almost as good as a regular bike. Last year I had a Dahon Speed P8 at RtR, and as jppe mentioned, I had some shifting problems, and a desire for higher gears for the flats/downhills and lower gears for the long climbs. The BikeFriday is a more solid feeling bike, and this one has a 3 speed internal hub and an 8 speed cog--so the gearing problem should be rectified. It is also about 5 pounds lighter. It also fits into a suitcase, so if you are travelling with a bike, you don't pay the outrageousj fees associated with shipping bikes. It flies with you.

Why did I change bikes? well, I had a bad experience with teh Dahon where the frame broke right next to the weld with the hinge in it. I wasa riding it at the time, and the result on my knee was not good. The frame was replaced, and it is now being ridden by my son-in-law who only uses it for a relatively flat commute--does not take it like I did to long rides, mountains etc. The Friday has a design I like better, because there is no hinge on the main tube. It doesn't fold as quickly or as compactly as the Dahon--not as good for getting to the metro, folding it and going, although I have done that. It is more of a 'transportable' folder--not a quick folder. But the ride is much more like my road bikes.

train safe-