Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-13, 04:41 PM   #1
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Yay! Flew the flag today...

...or rather, wore the jersey.

First day of the year where I could ditch the coat. Ditched the tights and booties too.

Shorts and my heavier kneewarmers on the bottom, armwarmers, a long-sleeved wicking t-shirt and my 50+ jersey on top. The weather finally went 50+ today as well. The afternoon high was 53F.

I'd planned one last ride around the bay before they open the swing bridge for marine traffic until November (thereby closing it to wheeled traffic, except maybe Evil Kinevil), but the wind off the lake had a heck of a bite. I was damned if I was going to turn around for a jacket and tights.

Instead, I headed inland to the hills of horse country. Rode just shy of 30 miles, my longest single ride to date this year. My face feels funny too, like got either a little sun or a little windburn.

Rain tomorrow, snow Monday and Tuesday, but sunny and mild later in the week, with 60s (gasp!) for the following week.

Spring just may have reached the North Coast.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 04:52 PM   #2
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Glad you had some nice weather for a change there, TSL, I hope this is the start of spring, finally. I am sure everyone in the Midwest and Northeast is sick and tired of cold, snow and ice all the time. A trainer or the rollers are fun for only so long when you have to use them or do without. Even with Billydonn's Velogarage thread to encourage us and entertain the forum trainers and rollers finally wear on me after a few months.

I just finished my Saturday afternoon ride, it was really nice, stiff south wind on the home-bound leg but the weather was otherwise pleasant. I still managed to hold 20 mph into the winds and only dropped down to 13 mph on the steepest hlii of the route. For me this is really an accomplishment.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 04:58 PM   #3
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Us Southern Califorornianians can only be very happy for your, finally, good weather.
rubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 05:39 PM   #4
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
...or rather, wore the jersey.

First day of the year where I could ditch the coat. Ditched the tights and booties too.

Shorts and my heavier kneewarmers on the bottom, armwarmers, a long-sleeved wicking t-shirt and my 50+ jersey on top. The weather finally went 50+ today as well. The afternoon high was 53F.

I'd planned one last ride around the bay before they open the swing bridge for marine traffic until November (thereby closing it to wheeled traffic, except maybe Evil Kinevil), but the wind off the lake had a heck of a bite. I was damned if I was going to turn around for a jacket and tights.

Instead, I headed inland to the hills of horse country. Rode just shy of 30 miles, my longest single ride to date this year. My face feels funny too, like got either a little sun or a little windburn.

Rain tomorrow, snow Monday and Tuesday, but sunny and mild later in the week, with 60s (gasp!) for the following week.

Spring just may have reached the North Coast.
You lucky South-Siders!!

I finally got a chance to blow some dust off my bike today, but due to other commitments I couldn't get out until 15:00 (03:00 p.m.). Well by then the lake breeze was in full swing making the shore area upper forties feel like the middle of a January storm. The numbing wind combined with 25 pounds of extra winter insulation around my waist made for a rather unpleasant 10.5 mile grind for this saddly out of shape old body.

Oh well, it was better than playing computer. I have an early morning ride scheduled for tomorrow and than a full 40 hr. week at the hospital. Hoping for dry weather next weekend....
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 05:50 PM   #5
Road Fan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
We got out today, but not until 4 pm. Rode out Huron River Drive west to the next town, Dexter. Round trip about 20 miles, but I didn't have an odo, speedo, or a decent stopwatch. Lots of fun, found a good saddle position, but might not be good for knee pain. Weather was nice, sunny, no wind, mid-50s, so all body parts were warm save a chilly ... well.

Just tried a Specialized Toupe 143, coming back to it after a few years on AnAtomicas - nice shape and size, good width, but a hard perch - sit-bones hurt.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 05:59 PM   #6
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Pittsburgh was beautiful... But I still wore a reduced version of my winter outfit... And got in a nice 27 miles -- including a section of the trail I haven't seen since last fall...

But, best of all, the sun was out!

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow for a short ride -- I need 6 more miles to make it an even 400 for the month... (Had I realized how close I was I would have kept going -- but I didn't check until everything was put away and the bike was hanging from the back of the car)...

All told, I have 822 miles for the year -- which is a whole lot more than I had expected -- especially considering the winter we've had...

Yeh Spring!
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 06:36 PM   #7
Blues Frog

Bikes:
Glad to hear you got out and enjoyed it. We had a big thunderstorm and I was glad to not be out in that lightning! Then as it neared time to go to a family Easter meal it got really nice. I'll catch it next Saturday. Blues Frog
Blues Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 08:07 PM   #8
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
It was a gorgeous day across the lake from you too, but no time to ride today.

WANTED: Dead or broken gearhubs for failure analysis.

Like the shop
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote