My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay! Flew the flag today...

...or rather, wore the jersey.

First day of the year where I could ditch the coat. Ditched the tights and booties too.

Shorts and my heavier kneewarmers on the bottom, armwarmers, a long-sleeved wicking t-shirt and my 50+ jersey on top. The weather finally went 50+ today as well. The afternoon high was 53°F.

I'd planned one last ride around the bay before they open the swing bridge for marine traffic until November (thereby closing it to wheeled traffic, except maybe Evil Kinevil), but the wind off the lake had a heck of a bite. I was damned if I was going to turn around for a jacket and tights.

Instead, I headed inland to the hills of horse country. Rode just shy of 30 miles, my longest single ride to date this year. My face feels funny too, like got either a little sun or a little windburn.

Rain tomorrow, snow Monday and Tuesday, but sunny and mild later in the week, with 60s (gasp!) for the following week.

Spring just may have reached the North Coast.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you had some nice weather for a change there, TSL, I hope this is the start of spring, finally. I am sure everyone in the Midwest and Northeast is sick and tired of cold, snow and ice all the time. A trainer or the rollers are fun for only so long when you have to use them or do without. Even with Billydonn's Velogarage thread to encourage us and entertain the forum trainers and rollers finally wear on me after a few months.

I just finished my Saturday afternoon ride, it was really nice, stiff south wind on the home-bound leg but the weather was otherwise pleasant. I still managed to hold 20 mph into the winds and only dropped down to 13 mph on the steepest hlii of the route. For me this is really an accomplishment.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us Southern Califorornianians can only be very happy for your, finally, good weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    ...or rather, wore the jersey.

First day of the year where I could ditch the coat. Ditched the tights and booties too.

Shorts and my heavier kneewarmers on the bottom, armwarmers, a long-sleeved wicking t-shirt and my 50+ jersey on top. The weather finally went 50+ today as well. The afternoon high was 53°F.

I'd planned one last ride around the bay before they open the swing bridge for marine traffic until November (thereby closing it to wheeled traffic, except maybe Evil Kinevil), but the wind off the lake had a heck of a bite. I was damned if I was going to turn around for a jacket and tights.

Instead, I headed inland to the hills of horse country. Rode just shy of 30 miles, my longest single ride to date this year. My face feels funny too, like got either a little sun or a little windburn.

Rain tomorrow, snow Monday and Tuesday, but sunny and mild later in the week, with 60s (gasp!) for the following week.

Spring just may have reached the North Coast.
    You lucky South-Siders!!

I finally got a chance to blow some dust off my bike today, but due to other commitments I couldn't get out until 15:00 (03:00 p.m.). Well by then the lake breeze was in full swing making the shore area upper forties feel like the middle of a January storm. The numbing wind combined with 25 pounds of extra winter insulation around my waist made for a rather unpleasant 10.5 mile grind for this saddly out of shape old body.

Oh well, it was better than playing computer. I have an early morning ride scheduled for tomorrow and than a full 40 hr. week at the hospital. Hoping for dry weather next weekend....

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got out today, but not until 4 pm. Rode out Huron River Drive west to the next town, Dexter. Round trip about 20 miles, but I didn't have an odo, speedo, or a decent stopwatch. Lots of fun, found a good saddle position, but might not be good for knee pain. Weather was nice, sunny, no wind, mid-50s, so all body parts were warm save a chilly ... well.

Just tried a Specialized Toupe 143, coming back to it after a few years on AnAtomicas - nice shape and size, good width, but a hard perch - sit-bones hurt.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pittsburgh was beautiful... But I still wore a reduced version of my winter outfit... And got in a nice 27 miles -- including a section of the trail I haven't seen since last fall...

But, best of all, the sun was out!

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow for a short ride -- I need 6 more miles to make it an even 400 for the month... (Had I realized how close I was I would have kept going -- but I didn't check until everything was put away and the bike was hanging from the back of the car)...

All told, I have 822 miles for the year -- which is a whole lot more than I had expected -- especially considering the winter we've had...

Yeh Spring!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you got out and enjoyed it. We had a big thunderstorm and I was glad to not be out in that lightning! Then as it neared time to go to a family Easter meal it got really nice. I'll catch it next Saturday. Blues Frog
    " If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a gorgeous day across the lake from you too, but no time to ride today.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1