Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The bike was a hit! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/880601-bike-hit.html)

Wooden Tiger 03-30-13 04:57 PM

The bike was a hit!

Just wanted to thank the folks who helped with some advice when I asked about a bike for my dad, who just turned 70 today.

So I wound up getting him a real nice Schwinn Signature Series Panther. He was definitely surprised and his reaction was a bit hard to read but I think he was pretty excited. He just hopped right on and took off down the street. I caught up with him where he had met my mom, who was at an easter egg hunt with my two nieces.

After everyone had left the easter egg hunt, my dad, my wife, and I took off for a nice spin. My wife stopped off at the house and Dad and I continued to ride for a while. It was a good time. :thumb:

It was pretty funny when we gave him the bike. The neighbors were out and they all came over to chat and he was showing off his new bike like a 12 year old. He was pretty funny. Some of the neighbors were like, "When did you start riding a bike?" My dad said, "Today! It's my new bike!" Everybody thought it was a really cool bike and commented about how classic it looked. :thumb:

qcpmsame 03-30-13 05:20 PM

This is the best thread of the year by a mile. I am really happy your dad was excited about his new bike and that he is enjoying riding it. How about some pictures if you get a chance, and he does not mind.

Bill

NOS88 03-30-13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15449418)
This is the best thread of the year by a mile. I am really happy your dad was excited about his new bike and that he is enjoying riding it. How about some pictures if you get a chance, and he does not mind.

Bill

+1

John E 03-30-13 05:47 PM

While visiting home during my college years, I fixed up my old 9-speed (3-speed Sturmey Archer with 3-speed Cyclo hybrid conversion kit) for my father and presented it to him on Fathers' Day. It brought us full circle from a few years earlier, when he had bought my friend's Schwinn for me.

rubic 03-30-13 05:51 PM

The bike was a hit!

:thumb:

GeorgeBMac 03-30-13 06:11 PM

I'm real glad he enjoyed it... It looks like you made a good choice...

But I'm curious: Am I thinking of somebody else -- or is this the dad whose wife said "No Way!"? If it is, how did it go over with your mom -- especially as you surprised her at the easter egg hunt?

Wooden Tiger 03-30-13 06:22 PM

I had my doubts he would be excited so I sort of prepared myself for it, but the reaction was great. Unfortunately, he was in the middle of watching the "Delaware game," so he was in a bit of a rush. I sort of presented it as needing help getting stuff outta the car. Between the luggage, my wife's bike, and my bike, he failed to notice the nice, matte-black Panther with the red bow on the seat. :lol:

When he came out, I said, "Happy birthday, Dad!" His response was, "C'mon, hurry up, the end of the Delaware game's on!" Then I had to say it again and that's when he noticed the bike. He said, "OOOOH, WOW!" He got this real wide grin on his face and said, "I'll be out right after the game's over!" A few minutes later the game was over, he hopped on, and was off to the races around the block! Rachel (my wife) said, "Ummm, you better go get after him, cuz I don't think he's comin' back!" I ran inside, grabbed my coat, and sprinted down the road after him when I found him around the block. Everyone was asking about his bike and just kinda laughed about it. He was talking about how his birthday was today and people were asking him what he got. He said, "I GOT A BIKE!" He just kinda smiled as he proudly showed it off.

So, I think he's really excited about the bike. We messed around with the seat and handlebars a bit as he felt like he had some strain in his upper shoulder and his triceps. After making a few adjustments he was good to go. While Mom isn't overly thrilled about it, she's not tripping out over it either. Dad has a buddy who's really into biking so I'm sure the bike will come up in conversation the next time they talk. I had my doubts how excited he'd be so I felt it was necessary for BOTH, my wife and I to ride with him. I figured if he had a FEW people to ride with he'd be a bit more into it and feel like he was more involved in something, which I think worked.

Strava results weren't great today as we traveled no more than about 1.6 miles at 4.4 mph but that's okay, as he hasn't been on a bike in nearly 30 years. After riding with him I took my five year old niece out and we did almost a mile. While it wasn't the highest calorie-burning ride ever, it wasn't really about that, but more about fun. I guess after we get home we'll have to get back to some quicker rides and get back into the swing of things. :thumb:

Wooden Tiger 03-30-13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 15449580)
I'm real glad he enjoyed it... It looks like you made a good choice...

But I'm curious: Am I thinking of somebody else -- or is this the dad whose wife said "No Way!"? If it is, how did it go over with your mom -- especially as you surprised her at the easter egg hunt?

Yes, I'm the guy you're thinking of. My mom was not thrilled about it but surprisingly didn't flip out. She actually took the whole thing quite well, all things considered. I just hope the bike gets some usage and doesn't just collect dust while my wife and I aren't around.

Dan Burkhart 03-31-13 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15449623)
Yes, I'm the guy you're thinking of. My mom was not thrilled about it but surprisingly didn't flip out. She actually took the whole thing quite well, all things considered. I just hope the bike gets some usage and doesn't just collect dust while my wife and I aren't around.

Next up, a bike for mom?

GeorgeBMac 03-31-13 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15453043)
Next up, a bike for mom?

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

(Trouble Maker!)

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

(I LIKE that idea!)

GeorgeBMac 03-31-13 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15449623)

Good Job! That was a tough sell -- and I suspect you should receive hazardous duty pay for taking on your mom! I would have been in full retreat...

Wooden Tiger 04-01-13 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15453043)
Next up, a bike for mom?

Yeah, I wish! :lol: She's just not going to go for that. It's a shame, too.

My mom is the type of person that if she doesn't like something, nobody else can, either. She's never been on a cruise ship, yet claims she won't like a cruise because "she could drown" or wind up without plumbing. She knows my wife and I enjoy them and whenever there's an "issue" with a cruise ship, she's always sure to point it out. :twitchy: When it's my time to go, it's my time to go, and I'm going to leave this Earth whether I'm on a cruise ship or walking down a flight of stairs. I'm not going to live my life in fear of what may happen.

My brother got sick on a fishing boat when he was young. He wanted to go on a cruise UNTIL my mother, who has NEVER been on a cruise, convinced him that he'd be as sick as a dog and stuck in the middle of the ocean, vomiting for a week. I've had a hell of a time trying to convince him otherwise. I suffer terribly from both, IBS and acid reflux, and if I can get on a cruise ship and not have any worse issues than the usual, I know he, who seems to have an iron gut, can do it, but at the same time, I love roller-coasters and he gets sick on them.

My dad wants to go on a cruise. She refuses. Now, I don't want to sound disrespectful here or negative, but at 70 years old and having a family who doesn't tend to live much past 75-80 years old, time is running out for him. She'll get on a plane and fly to Italy if it's something SHE wants to do, but damned if HE wants to do something. She is all about her. :mad: My dad brought up a good point and told her, "Well, you'll get on a plane without a parachute..." I'm very tempted to book him on the next cruise my wife and I take. My dad really needs to put his foot down and tell her, "Well, This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and I'm going to, whether it's with or without you," and then he just needs to do it.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 15453291)
Good Job! That was a tough sell -- and I suspect you should receive hazardous duty pay for taking on your mom! I would have been in full retreat...

Well, it wasn't so much "sold," per se. I knew she didn't approve but I went ahead and did it anyway. He hates going to the gym and just spinning away on some dumb machine, so now he has a bike where the scenery will change. His best friend of over 50 years rides and this is a good opportunity for him to get some exercise and enjoy hanging out with his buddy. :thumb: