Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling Jackets Anonymous

OK, so as I've said before, I've slowly come to the epiphany that I am the Imelda Marcos of cycling jackets. I truly have more than I need, but there is something satisfying about having just the right jacket for just the right conditions at just the right time. It would make more sense if I felt that way about cycling shorts, but pretty much all of them seem to work fine for me.

To me, the ideal jacket is waterproof, windproof, breathable, has a two-way front zipper, velcroed cuffs and pit-zips or some equivalent. Oh, and it is packable enough to roll into a jersey pocket or a seat bag, is bright, has reflective material and is made to last a long time. Oh ... and it can use a waterproof hood, but that hood must be removable.

So I'm curious what other people are using and what you think of it. Here is my embarrassingly large stable:

Showers Pass Elite

It has it all, but it is not packable.

Showers Pass Double Century

It has it all but is not made to last a long time.

O2 Cycling Rain Jacket

Amazingly breathable, waterproof, and cheap. But almost disposable, not packable, and has none of the features listed above.

O2 Primary Jacket

Waterproof, but not terribly breathable nor packable. No two way zipper. Integrated hood, but not removable.

Canari Eclipse:

Not at all water proof. No velcroed cuffs. Not all that packable. Nice removable sleeves though ... makes a decent vest.

Triple Crown: (Voler)

Two-way zipper. Not waterproof. Wind-resistant, but not windproof. No velcroed cuffs. No pit zips. But very packable and the side panels are made of jersey material. Quite breathable.

Gore Phantom O2: (sorry for the big pix)

Not waterproof. No two-way zipper. No velcroed cuffs. No pit-zips, but sleeves are removable. Very breathable.

Pace Windbreaker:
    (so old, there IS no picture). Very light windbreaker. Open mesh all along the back side of the sleeve all the way to the cuff and a HUGE amount of open mesh at the back.

. and probably 3 others too
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Felt X-City2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Showers Pass Elite & Double Century- when only the best will do!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, Pearl Izumi ELITE BARRIER CONVERTIBLE JACKET. I like that it has all the qualities of a shell jacket. When the weather warms up a bit, but not too much, it converts into a vest, just unzip the sleeves.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I have to agree that they are both great jackets. The DC really rocks for weekend rides ... it has all the required features, and is very packable. It was on sale recently for something like $60 and that was a steal.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    KHS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a running jacket from MEC that I use. It's breathable and windproof, thin and surprisingly warm.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a Showers Pass Portland, last summer , green check-tweedy with a self lined fabric that is a bit of insulation

XL fits the 'mature' girth , but the sleeves are for someone with longer arms ..

just got the Portland cap , but the one size is small for my head., just barely sits on top.
    It would be coming off with the Helmet.. rather than stay on when you took the helmet off

Think I'll put the tag back on it and put it on the sales Display.

Winter coat is Carhartts safety gear.. parka.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just don't wear them all at once.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 50+ wind shell fulfills the criteria you listed with our mild temps here. Pit zippers, folds up small enough to go in my seat bag or jersey pocket, wind and waterproof (to a point, good enough for my needs,) had a back zippered pocket and a draw string waist, too. I also have a Pearl Izumi Pro wind shell my wife gave me for Christmas that does the trick. those are my only jackets, so I am no threat to Imel.....er.. Vic, in the jacket hoarder contest.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I distinguish between warm jackets and rain jackets. I have a fairly heavy Biemme winter jacket, a lighter Louis Garneau "wind tex" jacket and an MEC waterproof with pit zips. Right now I'm switching back and forth between the Garneau and arm warmers.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Convertible jackets for the wife & I. My primary purpose was a roll-up rain jacket, and haven't tested them for that purpose yet, but they seem to work great as a windbreaker, at least for weather in the 50's and some light layering underneath. Really well ventilated with mesh all across the shoulders under a cowl. No pit-zips, two side pockets and a large pocket in the back big enough for a pump.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only water. Well, and everything else that get deposited rotting on the roadways. I actually enjoy riding in the rain but we only get it in warmer (than freezing) weather seasons in Toronto. I just wear vests and arm warmers but admittedly am wet at the end of a rainy ride. I don't mind that. The winter temperatures guarantee rain isn't going to be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an REI fleet running jacket that I wear in mild to cool weather. Very packable, windproof to 40 mph, water resistant (suitable for fine mist/drizzle) and highly visible. Not cycling specific, not equipped with pit zips, and has only one chest pocket. I got it on sale at half off and coudn't pass it up for mild rides with the family. Probably would let heavier rain in since the seams aren't sealed.
    a27f4c01-7439-4a8a-8086-947f88b134e9-148x148.jpg

I also have a Showers Pass Touring jacket for colder rides - very water resistant, well-designed to handle ventilation with a large back vent, pit zips and sleeves that can be cinched open or closed, good pockets on the sides and chest, cut extra long in the back with an additional fold down rainflap, but not conducive to packing very well. It could be a brighter shade of yellow and could have less black on the back (the newer version called "Transit" addressed the black issue), but I like it very much. Large enough to deeply layer underneath, if necessary. I bought it for around $99 on sale at REI.
    touring-yellow_0.jpg
    Last edited by Altair 4; 04-01-13 at 11:14 AM.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I am up there with you on the jackets front, in terms of sheer numbers. Some of them are too old to be pictured, so I am adding no pictures, to keep things fair to the ones that are not too old:

Gore Phantom 2.0 in neon yellow. This is my latest purchase, and I've fallen in love. It's perfect for the commute, and I feel very visible on the road. And if it's warm on the way home, I can zip off the sleeves and ride home in a short-sleeved jersey.

Castelli windstopper jacket. This one is also comfortable down to around freezing, and it regulates heat very well indeed. But what idiot designed a black jacket with a white collar that's impossible to get clean?

Sugoi Versa jacket. This is a wind shell that converts amazingly easily to a vest, because there are no zippers, just magnets to attach the sleeves. It has side pockets as well as rear pockets, which is also sort of useful. In theory I could wear the top as a bolero without the vest. But the colors are sort of meh. I bought the purple, and am already getting fed up with it.

Bright yellow Goretex jacket from Mountain Equipment Coop, which is perfect for rainy days when it's sort of chilly out there. It's maybe 10 years old, and still going strong. Waterproof, and breathes relatively well. But it doesn't pack particularly small.

Bright red MEC wind shell. I don't like this one very much -- it has pit zips, but I still get hot when I wear it. I should just give in and take it to the Goodwill.

Sugoi hydrolite jacket. I actually have two of these in two different sizes. I find them both waterproof and breathable. But they don't have pockets, and they don't fit very well over a jersey with bulging pockets.

Oh, and I have two wind vests (one black and one neon yellow) and one fleece vest.

I think that's it.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the same way with camera bags
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Sugoi hydrolite. Fairly waterproof, ventilated and easily packed, but no pockets. Lots of people wearing them around here these days.sugoi_71102u.whs_09_m.jpg

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe we are confusing two and possibly three types of clothing here: 1. Cold weather jackets. 2. Rain jackets. 3. Wind jacket/vests. And some fashion photos are definitely in order.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I believe we are confusing two and possibly three types of clothing here: 1. Cold weather jackets. 2. Rain jackets. 3. Wind jacket/vests. And some fashion photos are definitely in order.
    I'm as ignorant as they come, and dumb as a post, but don't many of these actually work in multiple roles?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    I'm as ignorant as they come, and dumb as a post.
    Yeah, but I bet you have a great pair of legs.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure when the old Showers Pass company became the new Showers Pass, with an explosion of new offerings, and apparently moving its headquarters from N. California to Oregon. I do know that I wasn't happy with the Century jacket, which I had to return for a stitching problem, and then, not long after, I discovered the jacket was no longer "waterproof." It looks like the current jackets are great.

Of the rain jackets I've worn, those that were waterproof and supposedly breathable made me sweat too much.

I'm down to one jacket I use for cool weather and rain, my Rapha wind jacket. It's decently water repellant and definitely works when it's cool and windy or when I'm going downhill in chill temperatures (a ride last year down Tioga Pass, in California, comes to mind). I don't worry about a hood, as I don't like being confined that way.

I do have a stable of jerseys, though.

This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Yeah, but I bet you have a great pair of legs.
    I do! Always considered them to be my best asset (even if they're a bit hairy)! However, you're gonna get yerself in trouble if you keep making those kinds of associations...

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm as ignorant as they come, and dumb as a post, but don't many of these actually work in multiple roles?
    Yes, of course.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do! Always considered them to be my best asset (even if they're a bit hairy)! However, you're gonna get yerself in trouble if you keep making those kinds of associations...
    I was referencing the IQ thread, where I made the bold assertion that one can have a massive intellect or massive legs but not both. It stands to reason that if you're as dumb as a post, you must have great legs.

It certainly is the case with me.

My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal favorite go to jacket is my J & G waterproof, breathable, jacket(although it doesn't have a hood).
    2008 Kona Fire Mountain/Xtracycle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Cycling well IS Cycling Advocacy
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a day when I always took a couple of large black trash bags if bad weather threatened. They served a great, inexpensive purpose. Now I also have way more covers than I ever imagined. But mine also double for golf. Another 4 letter distraction.

REI.com has a clearance section with about 15 good covers on clearance, nicely reduced.

One for the ladies

http://www.rei.com/product/840940/ca...-2011-closeout

One for the gents

http://www.rei.com/product/856757/lo...-2012-closeout
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Showers Pass Double Century: Great in the rain and cold temps (well, as cold as it gets here) but not a small enough fold. Otherwise fine.

2. Voler CAL Trple Crown Jacket: Great for cool days, folds really small, well ventilated . . . but not even close to water-proof.

3. OC Rebel club jacket, no side vents so a tad warmer than the CAL Triple Crown jacket, folds really small . . . not even close to water-proof.

4. Sugoi, not sure what model, warmer than any of the above, not a very small fold, w/reflective bits so good for commuting which is what I use it for mostly. Water rssistant . . . but not water proof. Resists water for quite awhile but eventually soaks through.

Rick / OCRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast