Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Cold ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold ride.

Suffering with a cold but got dragged out by a neighbour on a short ride yesterday. He had a work colleague down that wanted to see how good the neighbour was and was a cocky young 40 year old. Should have seen how good he was as the bike was a Cervello C'F' with some "Bling" wheels on it. Didn't pay much attention to the bike as all I saw was the rear tyre from about 20 yards away for the first 10 miles. Then after coffee it was time for the first slope. Only 8% for about a mile after a 3 to 5% for a mile. Me and the neighbour know this slope and if you hit the 3% hard- you have to be fit for the 8%. That gentle intro is deceptive for what is to come. So off went the other two and I just paced myself up. Got to the 8% and they were not in sight round the first hairpin. This is what we call the Zig Zags so plenty of bends. Got to the top and I would normally take the fast Downhill before setting on the way home.

But got to the top and the "Friend" Seemed to be breathing a bit hard even after the couple of minutes rest I had given him. He admitted that he doesn't normally do hills and had tackled it a bit fast and that most of his rides are fairly flat. Red Flag and Bull came to mind as I worked the route home. Time to try a real hill. Only about 3/4 mile long at 16%. I was fair and warned him to take it easy and off we went. I have finally found someone that is slower than me up this one. He sat on my wheel all the way up. My neighbour was off into the distance as usual. Got to the top and normal route is home Via another good downhill but took a faster downhill to give him a rest. This road leads to yet another hill and I struggle on this one in middle ring and YES- I had the bike with a triple and 30/25 as my lowest gear. I had already noted that his lowest was going to be 34/25 and if he struggled up the last hill- this one was going to finish him. Not that steep at 10% at worst but with tired legs you will struggle and the cold headwind was not helping either.

Can't say I enjoyed the ride- Not feeling great and too cold for a sensible ride but I did enjoy showing a flat Lander what slopes are really like.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously if you had done nothing to only riding once per week, the spinning kept a level a fitness. Do you think the spinning you've done for a while now influenced your climbing/riding on this ride--better, worse, similar level?
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think the spinning has helped as I did the 16% in NOT the lowest gear. Think I was trying to show the other rider that I still had gears left and he didn't but still managed to climb seated and and at a Cadence higher than 70 Normally struggle at around 60 cadence in lowest gear on this one. But that is the third time I have done this hill this year--and only rides since Christmas. That is 3 times more than last year. The hill is still hard but not daunting any more.

BUT IT IS COLD. Sun shows itself occasionally but with a temp around freezing and that 20mph wind I am cold. And finished the ride with a water bottle that rattled. Lungs were not good thanks to the cold weather on a blocked chest but they got a clear out. Taken a rest from the Gym this week but Spinning booked for Thursday. May not get out on another ride for a few weeks as the Cold is still forecast till after next weekend.

What I would have been like without the gym is frightening.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I suppose any ride is always better than no ride at all. I got feeling cold just reading your post, Doug. The gym and spinning must have saved more than you are letting on, you are doing climbs and not stopping completely. Glad that you did get a ride in and feel better about doing the ride. Take care of that cold, don't let things get out of hand and get set back really bad.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Can't say I enjoyed the ride- Not feeling great and too cold for a sensible ride but I did enjoy showing a flat Lander what slopes are really like.
    Ah, so there was some joy in the ride!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831