Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New bibs & a question (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/880862-new-bibs-question.html)

Tandem Tom 04-01-13 07:10 AM

New bibs & a question

Last week my wife and I went over to Pittsburgh to buy cycling "stuff''. We made a stop at Aero Tech Design Cyclewear and as I need some new shorts. So I decided to go with my first set of bibs. Now a question for the guys. I am not sure but I thought the sales guys said that bibs have a way of "holding everything up" better than just shorts. So is this the case? Though I have not yet ridden with them I do like the way they seem to hold everything up".
Comments?
Thanks!

CraigB 04-01-13 07:26 AM

I've never found that to be the case, although I suppose some might. Holding everything in place is largely a function of basic fit and how well the shorts stay up, and that might be improved for some guys due to the straps on bibs. For me, the sloppiness in short fit isn't in the waist down, but the waist itself, which tends to roll down on me due to my, um, impressive physique. Bibs eliminate that issue for me.

mprelaw 04-01-13 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 15454320)
Last week my wife and I went over to Pittsburgh to buy cycling "stuff''. We made a stop at Aero Tech Design Cyclewear and as I need some new shorts. So I decided to go with my first set of bibs. Now a question for the guys. I am not sure but I thought the sales guys said that bibs have a way of "holding everything up" better than just shorts. So is this the case? Though I have not yet ridden with them I do like the way they seem to hold everything up".
Comments?
Thanks!

It's the way that Aero Tech bibs fit. That's one of the reasons why I buy them. :thumb:

stapfam 04-01-13 01:22 PM

It does depend on the fit and is one reason why I have settled into Giordana bibs. Always just bought the cheapest that felt right (Always try before you buy) but got talked into paying more than double what I used to for a bit of "Bling". Bling or not- Quality pays in comfort. All I need now is the overdraft to buy "Assos"

DougG 04-01-13 02:57 PM

I definitely find bibs more comfortable for wearing in an all-day situation due to not having tight elastic around my waist -- especially for those of us without a narrow waist to help hold shorts in place. I've been happy with mine in the $120-140 range and like both my Garneaus and Sugois. YMMV.

az_cyclist 04-01-13 03:14 PM

I started wearing bib shorts about 3 years ago, and love wearing them. I ride about 62 miles every Saturday with the club, and will ride several centuries and at least 1 double century every year. As has been mentioned I like bibs for long rides, and for when you stand to pedal.

Dudelsack 04-01-13 03:54 PM

Bibs. They lift and separate.

osco53 04-01-13 05:49 PM

I'll stick with Duct Tape XD

Steve Sawyer 04-02-13 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by CraigB (Post 15454383)
For me, the sloppiness in short fit isn't in the waist down, but the waist itself, which tends to roll down on me due to my, um, impressive physique. Bibs eliminate that issue for me.

I find that to be true for me as well. I no longer have the "gut" I had as recently as a year ago, but still find that non-bib shorts still tend to roll down an inch or so. I think you have to be REAL trim to avoid that, and I'll probably never be that slim, even when I lose the last 11 lbs I'm working on...

I've always been lucky and have managed to buy my bibs for well under $100, even the name-brand ones. Unfortunately I have two pair that are really too big for me, and could probably use one more pair in the right size. Nashbar has a sale on Cavalo Selle Nero Bib Shorts for $50 that I just dropped into my cart...