Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bibs & a question

Last week my wife and I went over to Pittsburgh to buy cycling "stuff''. We made a stop at Aero Tech Design Cyclewear and as I need some new shorts. So I decided to go with my first set of bibs. Now a question for the guys. I am not sure but I thought the sales guys said that bibs have a way of "holding everything up" better than just shorts. So is this the case? Though I have not yet ridden with them I do like the way they seem to hold everything up".
    Comments?
    Thanks!

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never found that to be the case, although I suppose some might. Holding everything in place is largely a function of basic fit and how well the shorts stay up, and that might be improved for some guys due to the straps on bibs. For me, the sloppiness in short fit isn't in the waist down, but the waist itself, which tends to roll down on me due to my, um, impressive physique. Bibs eliminate that issue for me.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Tom View Post
    Last week my wife and I went over to Pittsburgh to buy cycling "stuff''. We made a stop at Aero Tech Design Cyclewear and as I need some new shorts. So I decided to go with my first set of bibs. Now a question for the guys. I am not sure but I thought the sales guys said that bibs have a way of "holding everything up" better than just shorts. So is this the case? Though I have not yet ridden with them I do like the way they seem to hold everything up".
    Comments?
    Thanks!
    It's the way that Aero Tech bibs fit. That's one of the reasons why I buy them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend on the fit and is one reason why I have settled into Giordana bibs. Always just bought the cheapest that felt right (Always try before you buy) but got talked into paying more than double what I used to for a bit of "Bling". Bling or not- Quality pays in comfort. All I need now is the overdraft to buy "Assos"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely find bibs more comfortable for wearing in an all-day situation due to not having tight elastic around my waist -- especially for those of us without a narrow waist to help hold shorts in place. I've been happy with mine in the $120-140 range and like both my Garneaus and Sugois. YMMV.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started wearing bib shorts about 3 years ago, and love wearing them. I ride about 62 miles every Saturday with the club, and will ride several centuries and at least 1 double century every year. As has been mentioned I like bibs for long rides, and for when you stand to pedal.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bibs. They lift and separate.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick with Duct Tape XD
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    For me, the sloppiness in short fit isn't in the waist down, but the waist itself, which tends to roll down on me due to my, um, impressive physique. Bibs eliminate that issue for me.
    I find that to be true for me as well. I no longer have the "gut" I had as recently as a year ago, but still find that non-bib shorts still tend to roll down an inch or so. I think you have to be REAL trim to avoid that, and I'll probably never be that slim, even when I lose the last 11 lbs I'm working on...

I've always been lucky and have managed to buy my bibs for well under $100, even the name-brand ones. Unfortunately I have two pair that are really too big for me, and could probably use one more pair in the right size. Nashbar has a sale on Cavalo Selle Nero Bib Shorts for $50 that I just dropped into my cart...