Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riding fitness

My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest weight training during the winter to maintain and increase leg
    muscles and strength (calfs, quads and hamstrings). There are any number of good leg exercises.

My strategies: Doing body weight exercises such as push ups and pull ups also really helps my cycling abilities. I also try to keep my body weight to 2.1 pounds per inch of height. I am 5'8". I am 66.

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMan View Post
    I would suggest weight training during the winter to maintain and increase leg
    muscles and strength (calfs, quads and hamstrings). There are any number of good leg exercises.

My strategies: Doing body weight exercises such as push ups and pull ups also really helps my cycling abilities. I also try to keep my body weight to 2.1 pounds per inch of height. I am 5'8". I am 66.
    This would work great for me, if only I were 8 feet, 4 inches tall.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMan View Post
    I also try to keep my body weight to 2.1 pounds per inch of height. I am 5'8". I am 66.
    At 63 and also at 5'8", I'd NEVER get my weight that low. I think I was 165 when I was in high school running track & cross-country, and at 177 right now, I'm struggling to get the weight down to 164!

I might suggest, Doug (if you have access to it) TRX suspension training. It can be a really intense full-body workout that gets all the muscle groups including upper body, lower limbs and core. If you're the disciplined type, the equipment is relatively dirt cheap and you can do it at home. I'm not that disciplined, so I take a 1-hour TRX class each week over the winter...
    Last edited by Steve Sawyer; 04-05-13 at 01:12 PM.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing inherently wrong with being tired after a ride. As the season progresses so will your fitness. I'm sure you already know that. Keep enjoying your biking and running.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a 'fartlek' advocate since my running days......let your mood decide your workout

" There is no predetermined schedule to follow, but instead the athlete will set her/his own interval lengths and pace in response to their own feeling of the workload. An advantage of Fartlek is that the athlete can concentrate on feeling the pace and their physical response to it, thereby developing self awareness and pace judgement skills. Also the athlete is free to experiment with pace and endurance, and to experience changes of pace."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12