Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode a 2 Speed Pinarello Today

As it usually happens my RD shifter cable broke 20 miles from the house. So out of 22 gears I was left with 2..........Thought about tying the shifter cable to a bottle cage to see if I could get a little easier gear but just rode it back in. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but having a compact crank with 50/34 certainly helped. I found myself standing a good bit even on the flats when in the 50/12. I think I averaged about the same speed and time as I always do. Go figure.

Reminds me of the time I played in a golf tournament for 18 holes with all 14 clubs. We then played 9 more holes but were only allowed to take 3 clubs and one had to be a putter. I took a 3 wood and a 6 iron shot 3 strokes better with 11 fewer clubs.........I made putts from all over and won the 9 hole event!

Maybe you've seen the commercials on tv with the gentleman and 4 kids sitting around with him asking........"so kids, what's better, more or less??" AT&T maybe???
    Ride your Ride!!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trained human body is remarkably adaptable isn't it?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere (maybe hear )it is rare for a cable to break.How old and what do you think happened.Oh and where did it break.I have a bike with a cable that is less than 2 years old,its a back up bike.Kept inside my house 68* relative humidity 38% and the cables are rusting.Never ride in the rain, on purpose anyway.I bet its the cheap Chinese metal.Be happy it wasn"t a brake cable when you needed it.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    As it usually happens my RD shifter cable broke 20 miles from the house. So out of 22 gears I was left with 2..........Thought about tying the shifter cable to a bottle cage to see if I could get a little easier gear but just rode it back in. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but having a compact crank with 50/34 certainly helped. I found myself standing a good bit even on the flats when in the 50/12. I think I averaged about the same speed and time as I always do. Go figure.

Reminds me of the time I played in a golf tournament for 18 holes with all 14 clubs. We then played 9 more holes but were only allowed to take 3 clubs and one had to be a putter. I took a 3 wood and a 6 iron shot 3 strokes better with 11 fewer clubs.........I made putts from all over and won the 9 hole event!

Maybe you've seen the commercials on tv with the gentleman and 4 kids sitting around with him asking........"so kids, what's better, more or less??" AT&T maybe???
    Better that what happened to one of our group riders. After a big downhill and about 10 miles from his car the DI-2 shorted out. One gear maybe 52X12? It became a single speed. But he had to go back over that hill so his time was down.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I read the thread title and thought, "Hmmm, maybe a new N+1. Let's check this out." Big tease!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Ah, I read the thread title and thought, "Hmmm, maybe a new N+1. Let's check this out." Big tease!
    Don't even get me thinking!!! I just did the N+ late last year and scratched that itch. But my new carbon wheels for the Pinarello should be arriving within a couple weeks.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't even get me thinking!!! I just did the N+ late last year and scratched that itch. But my new carbon wheels for the Pinarello should be arriving within a couple weeks.
    Carbon wheels on a steel frame ?
    ride long & prosper

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I read somewhere (maybe hear )it is rare for a cable to break.How old and what do you think happened.Oh and where did it break.I have a bike with a cable that is less than 2 years old,its a back up bike.Kept inside my house 68* relative humidity 38% and the cables are rusting.Never ride in the rain, on purpose anyway.I bet its the cheap Chinese metal.Be happy it wasn't a brake cable when you needed it.
    That's the only time a brake cable will break. It's not under much tension at other times. This is one of the reasons I have two rim brakes and a powerful disc brake on my tandem. Any single brake will stop the bike under almost all conditions, but an emergency would call for two, so I want three.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    Carbon wheels on a steel frame ?
    Why not? Besides, his Pinarello isn't steel.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it usually happens my RD shifter cable broke 20 miles from the house. So out of 22 gears I was left with 2.....

Happened to me 3 times. Only I wasn't anywhere close to home. Once was on Skyline Drive. Once was on a century ride near Cumberland, MD (the hilly part). The other time was on our locally infamous Rt 601 (Mt Weather).

That was enough. Now I use Di2 shifting
    Last edited by JimF22003; 04-04-13 at 05:52 AM.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I read somewhere (maybe hear )it is rare for a cable to break.How old and what do you think happened.Oh and where did it break.I have a bike with a cable that is less than 2 years old,its a back up bike.Kept inside my house 68* relative humidity 38% and the cables are rusting.Never ride in the rain, on purpose anyway.I bet its the cheap Chinese metal.Be happy it wasn"t a brake cable when you needed it.
    I haven't pulled the cable out but I'm sure it was near the button at the end of the cable in the shifter. There were not any early warning signs so I'll be curious to see if it's frayed or the button popped off. I'm thinking I had the cable replaced about a year ago.
    Ride your Ride!!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't pulled the cable out but I'm sure it was near the button at the end of the cable in the shifter. There were not any early warning signs so I'll be curious to see if it's frayed or the button popped off. I'm thinking I had the cable replaced about a year ago.
    Weird... never have any stuff like that happen to me. My LBS recently put some special cables on a bike for me.... "Angora" or something like that. They have Teflon in them and slide like things a gentleman never mentions. Expensive and hard to get in the US these days but I like them.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot