Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's happening again N+1

After my bike fleet dropped by a couple frames and 5 bikes last season (to finance a bent trike) I thought N would stabilize. Then I picked up an awesome Lemond frame and lots of bike parts at the Westminister show. N+1

Pondering the parts I realized I had everything but a frame and crankset. Somehow I found a decent external berring BB and double compact crankset for sub $50. Then a new double butted Leader steel frame appeared for $114 shipped on Ebay that would match my full carbon Litespeed fork. The frame arrived today - very nice. Frame and fork are 6 1/4 lbs.
    N+1

Sure, even killer deals still add up to real money but I can usually recoup most of the cost. The fun of building and riding unique frames is a blast. Money from flipping bikes (usually C&V) covers any shortfall.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-04-13 at 10:23 PM.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and it sounds like you enjoy building them as well as riding them. Enjoy!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You thought N would stabilize? You of all people should know better. Eagerly awaiting the mandatory photos.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. I'm convinced that eliminating three bikes from my stable will just make room for four more. N+1 is inevitable. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the barrel adjusters today and ordered the bar end shifters and CF compression plug for Wednesday. I have to downgrade the Lemond to a FSA crankset and 9 speed STI by then. I'll ride both then offer one to my Volvo dealer. The choices are 9 speed STI, 9 speed friction bar-end or 10 speed indexed bar end.
    The weather has finally turned and I have to start putting some miles on the bikes. Hopefully I can ride the Lemond to work in a couple days.

BTW - from an internet search it seems the Lemond is a 2000 TREK re-badged for the Veloce team. Let me know if I'm blowing smoke.

The bike I keep will run a 9 speed titanium cassette and my high flange Specialized Roval wheelset. The Rolf wheels shown on the Lemond (before mods) are going back to the Colnago, and I'm selling the Ultegra crankset and 10 speed STI.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-08-13 at 08:03 PM.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking build, which is consistent with your other builds.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Nice bike Robtown, I like the Brooks saddle, classy touch that adds some snap, to me. The colourway is close to the Molteni schemes that Merckx rode, I like that shade. Which ever set up you choose it should be a nice ride for you. What length is your stem?

Bill
    The stem is a Ritchey WCS wet black 130mm that I got at the show for $15. I got 4 other Ritchey stems for $20 total.

I've put the FSA cranks on the Lemond tonight and am halfway through installing the 9 speed STI. I'm not sure if I want to put a road cassette on the Roval wheels or try out the cheap wheelset/cassette/tires I bought for the whichever bike I'm selling.

I hope to retire in 7 - 10 years and already am stressing about trimming down the herd. I end up selling a number of new builds but once they get tenure it's very hard to dispose of them. I have to give the Lemond a fair chance (i.e. get back to riding trim) and suspect that I'll love the Leader. Maybe I'll have to set my selling price a couple hundred higher
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running too late (and too worn out) to ride her to work today - but this is essentially the final state of my Lemond. I may swap in some black Look pedals from another bike.

Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need I say more??bicycle_430.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
    Need I say more??bicycle_430.JPG
    Impressive!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
    Impressive!!
    That was taken over a year ago......there are at least three more more complete bikes and a frame or 2 hanging now.
    Every now and then this bargain comes along...................

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Leader mostly built. It needs tape, cables, chain, and bar end shifters installed. The only black drop bars I have are a bit short and are not oversized. That limits my choice of stems to a couple shorter Ritchey Pro. Since the bike is XL I'm hoping I can get the fit correct. Pictures to follow - soon.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some 10 speed DA bar end shifters for the Leader - with the plan of using them in friction mode for the 9 speed cassette. These are the only DA bar end shifters that are index only! I just ordered some 9 speed DA. I'd have considered buying a cassette but the alternate RD I used doesn't look like it will index properly.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That frame looks to be the same as an early OCLV from Trek. Is that correct?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
    That frame looks to be the same as an early OCLV from Trek. Is that correct?
    I believe it is a rebadged 2000 TREK 5200.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Leader is done. I'm commuting to work on her today.

Korval is Ships

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Rob, post a ride report about the first commute when you get back home.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Look at that chain! That cassette! I have drivetrain envy.

Does that frame have a replaceable hanger?
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Look at that chain! That cassette! I have drivetrain envy.

Does that frame have a replaceable hanger?
    The frame does not have a replaceable hanger - but it was $114 shipped. The Cutter 9 speed chain was $19, and the SunRace cassette $20. I have a placeholder RD until the MircorShift I bought arrives and I can try inedexed shifting. The "Cannondale" boxed wheels with tires were under $100 shipped - they are a bit heavy. Despite the insanely cheap prices I paid for both new and used I'm still into the bike for over $500.

The ride to work was good. The chain jumped a couple times, I attribute that to the used RD and the shifter not being adjusted tighter.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-24-13 at 10:40 AM.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, it looked like it was non-replaceable. My CR-1 has a non-replaceable hanger, and that's been a PITA.

I thought about getting a break-away bolt like this, but in my case, I think it's too late and I doubt it would make a difference.

http://www.bikesonline.com/acros-rea...tion-screw.htm

Sweet bike though!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's updated pix IMG_1108.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1110.jpg
    of the Home Fleet

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's updated pix IMG_1108.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1110.jpg
    of the Home Fleet
    They look to be my size. I count 7 bikes and many more wheels than I've ever had.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    They look to be my size. I count 7 bikes and many more wheels than I've ever had.
    There are actually 11. Most are 63cm Cannondale SR's.
    There are 2 Cannondale 27" ST's, a 66cm CAD3, and a 65cm Leader LD-717R. Those are the ones on the front row right-to-left.
    The 3 hanging behind the big work table are all 63cm 'Dales, one a completely original Black lightning (except for tires and h'bar tape.)
    In the stand is a 67cm custom touring bike built by Rodney Moseman of Levitz,Pa.
    Many of the hanging frames are Cannondale SR'. with a 27" ST, a 25" ST, a dented 66cm CAD3, and another 65cm Loader (couldn't pass up the deal.)
    There are a few later 'Dales in the mix as well, and I have a few more (4) hanging at a remote storage shed.
    I also keep one in Atlanta and one in Texas at my kids' homes so I don't get bored when visiting!
    It is FUN to have a FLEET !! (But, I'm ALWAYS looking.....)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much bigger than mine, which top out at 61 ctc. I don't have any Cannondales my size.

I thought I was good after trimming down to 8 but then I got the deal on the Lemond. I'm hoping to sell the Leader - just had most of the parts and wanted to see what it'd be like. With better wheels it'd be a keeper, but not as bike 10. I'd have a hard time identifying which bikes to sell of my nine since they cover lots of important niches.

There are actually 11. Most are 63cm Cannondale SR's.
    There are 2 Cannondale 27" ST's, a 66cm CAD3, and a 65cm Leader LD-717R. Those are the ones on the front row right-to-left.
    The 3 hanging behind the big work table are all 63cm 'Dales, one a completely original Black lightning (except for tires and h'bar tape.)
    In the stand is a 67cm custom touring bike built by Rodney Moseman of Levitz,Pa.
    Many of the hanging frames are Cannondale SR'. with a 27" ST, a 25" ST, a dented 66cm CAD3, and another 65cm Loader (couldn't pass up the deal.)
    There are a few later 'Dales in the mix as well, and I have a few more (4) hanging at a remote storage shed.
    I also keep one in Atlanta and one in Texas at my kids' homes so I don't get bored when visiting!
    It is FUN to have a FLEET !! (But, I'm ALWAYS looking.....)
    Korval is Ships

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast