Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   So I went by the bike shop today (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/882149-so-i-went-bike-shop-today.html)

jppe 04-05-13 02:15 PM

So I went by the bike shop today

Dropped off the Prince to get the cables replaced. I normally do my cables but I've never figured how to feed the cables through the Campy 11sp shifters without crimping them......

LBS guy and I start talking and he shows the Trek Domaine (?) I think it is. Says it's as sweet a ride as he's ever ridden. Supposedly the Dura Ace 9000 has the great shifting feel of the 7800's that are buttery smooth and still in high demand. Starts giving me prices. Showing me color options..............

What in the heck would I do with another road bike???? My newest is barely 6 months old.......

stapfam 04-05-13 02:19 PM

So when do you pick it up for the test ride?

John E 04-05-13 03:28 PM

I wouldn't know, since my newest road bike is 30 years old, and my mountain bike is just about to turn 25 in June.

BikeWNC 04-05-13 03:48 PM

I was talking to Fabian last week after Flanders. He really seems to like his. :)

BikeWNC 04-05-13 03:51 PM

And... I would buy these types of things before you retire. There is something about having to live on a fixed income, however generous, that makes one not want to be extravagant. Not that I am in that situation just yet, but I can see the future.

Rwc5830 04-05-13 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 15474613)

What in the heck would I do with another road bike???? My newest is barely 6 months old.......

I'm sure someone on BF could take care of your bike that is only six months old ;) Either that or stay out of bike shops!!

So what size is your "old" bike so we can start drawing straws.

Zinger 04-05-13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John E (Post 15474831)
I wouldn't know, since my newest road bike is 30 years old, and my mountain bike is just about to turn 25 in June.

That's inspiring for me since I've had the same ride for 30 years myself.
I don't exactly have a first name basis with bike shops myself. I'm the guy who comes in for 20 5/32" bearing balls and asks for something like Phil Wood freewheel oil that they don't carry.
Then I go to look at the clincher tire prices, say "jeez" then "have a good ride guys" and leave.

NOS88 04-05-13 04:05 PM

My guess is you would ride the daylights out of it.

qcpmsame 04-05-13 04:41 PM

JPPE,
Go ahead and reserve space in the forum for the next N+1 thread you are fixing to post now, before the spring rush.....

Bill

billydonn 04-05-13 08:21 PM

Resistance is futile.....:lol:

overthehillmedi 04-05-13 09:12 PM

When I read the thread title my thought was that it sounded a lot like "But, Mommy, it followed me home" :lol:

Retro Grouch 04-06-13 05:55 AM

Quote:

The formula is simply n+1. There is no age factor.

My worst nightmare is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was. I feel an obligation to leave them with a little more interesting legacy than that. Sorry, kids, the last check from my checking account is going to the undertaker and it's going to BOUNCE.

qcpmsame 04-06-13 08:45 AM

I think your other thread circulating right now speaks to the actual reason for the angst right now................... Admit it, you need to start with "Hi, I'm jppe and I'm a bikeaholic................"

And we could all answer'Hi, jppe....................." (too many dots after the words, whew.)

Bill

Dudelsack 04-06-13 10:03 AM

Hi, I'm Dudelsack, and I just bought and assembled a Hollywood hitch mount bike rack.

But none of my cars have a hitch? Yeah, that could be an issue.......but dang, the bike rack sure looks cool, sitting on my garage floor.

(I sense an intervention is in order).......

drorgo 04-06-13 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15477052)
Hi, I'm Dudelsack, and I just bought and assembled a Hollywood hitch mount bike rack.

But none of my cars have a hitch? Yeah, that could be an issue.......but dang, the bike rack sure looks cool, sitting on my garage floor.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a new car.

Dudelsack 04-06-13 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drorgo (Post 15477155)
Sounds like a good reason to buy a new car.

Um, I did, so I could put a hitch on it. Please, somebody, help me.........

Rwc5830 04-06-13 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15477394)
Um, I did, so I could put a hitch on it. Please, somebody, help me.........

I have two trucks with hitches but you'll have to come a LONG way to get one ;) Look it up on the map!

We're just all envious that someone else might be getting another N+1.

stapfam 04-06-13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwc5830 (Post 15477604)

It is a bit more definite than "Might Be"

fietsbob 04-06-13 01:59 PM

Hell, I dont, but rarely ride my current roadie bike, because It does not have Mudguards .

Or bags to carry my Rain Gear , when I'm not wearing it.

is this submitting to some N.C. race club Peer Pressure?

True, .. it's cheaper than Lamborghini envy..

Dudelsack 04-06-13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwc5830 (Post 15477604)
I have two trucks with hitches but you'll have to come a LONG way to get one ;) Look it up on the map!

Been that way before. Used to be stationed at Ft. Sam and drove down to South Padre Island a few times.

tsl 04-06-13 03:14 PM

Quote:

LBS guy and I start talking and he shows the Trek Domaine (?) I think it is. Says it's as sweet a ride as he's ever ridden. Supposedly the Dura Ace 9000 has the great shifting feel of the 7800's that are buttery smooth and still in high demand. Starts giving me prices. Showing me color options.............

Make sure you test ride one with tubeless tires. Not just plain tubeless ready, but actual took-the-ready-and-made-it-tubeless tubeless. From what I've seen, you won't be able to get the plastic clear of your wallet fast enough.

I started working at a shop recently. Every Domane that's been test ridden has either been sold on the spot, or the customer comes back and says something like, "Okay, now on mine I want it with..." I wasn't on the schedule today, but I stopped by this afternoon, as two more--his and hers, a pair of 4.5s--went out the door. There's two that I won't have to pump up the tires on Monday.

Fortunately for me, we haven't been able to keep them in my size in stock long enough for me to test ride one myself. And frankly, with my budget, they scare me. With any luck, Trek will sell out completely before I get a chance to test ride one.

tsl 04-06-13 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15477052)

I own a Saris Bones 3 trunk rack and a Yakima Hold-Up 2" receiver hitch rack.

I own exactly zero cars.

Go figure.

jppe 04-06-13 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 15477857)
Make sure you test ride one with tubeless tires. Not just plain tubeless ready, but actual took-the-ready-and-made-it-tubeless tubeless. From what I've seen, you won't be able to get the plastic clear of your wallet fast enough.

I started working at a shop recently. Every Domane that's been test ridden has either been sold on the spot, or the customer comes back and says something like, "Okay, now on mine I want it with..." I wasn't on the schedule today, but I stopped by this afternoon, as two more--his and hers, a pair of 4.5s--went out the door. There's two that I won't have to pump up the tires on Monday.

Fortunately for me, we haven't been able to keep them in my size in stock long enough for me to test ride one myself. And frankly, with my budget, they scare me. With any luck, Trek will sell out completely before I get a chance to test ride one.

Totally agree with the tubeless. I now wish I'd gone tubeless with my most recent wheelset but hey, wheels are cheaper than bikes!!!!

Sounds like the Domane with tubeless wheels would be a really great ride for week long supported tours. Hmmmmm

qcpmsame 04-06-13 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 15477932)
Totally agree with the tubeless. I now wish I'd gone tubeless with my most recent wheelset but hey, wheels are cheaper than bikes!!!!

Sounds like the Domane with tubeless wheels will be my new bike for week long supported tours. Hmmmmm

FIFY:rolleyes::roflmao2:

GFish 04-06-13 04:37 PM

Quote:

LBS guy and I start talking and he shows the Trek Domaine (?) I think it is. Says it's as sweet a ride as he's ever ridden. Supposedly the Dura Ace 9000 has the great shifting feel of the 7800's that are buttery smooth and still in high demand. Starts giving me prices. Showing me color options..............

LBS guy, working on commission.... or at least knowing what drives his paycheck. Nothing personal, you're just another potential customer.