Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Did a nice ride with my 13 y/o grandson today. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/882299-did-nice-ride-my-13-y-o-grandson-today.html)

RonH 04-06-13 02:42 PM

Did a nice ride with my 13 y/o grandson today.

2 Attachment(s)
I did the Cycle for Education ride in Chiefland, FL with my grandson today. This was his first "long" ride. We rode from Chiefland to the bridge over the Suwannee River. At that point he said he was ready to turn around.
He made sure we stopped at the three rest stops we passed. He's a growing boy. :)
I broke my computer last week and my CycleMeter app for my iPhone wasn't working (poor reception up in the sticks) so I have to estimate the distance. I think it was ~8 miles to the bride so the total ride was 16 miles. The longest he's ever ridden. :thumb:

Stopping to rest between stop #2 and #3. :)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=309016

Finally got to the bridge. Whew.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=309015

stapfam 04-06-13 02:59 PM

Can't wait to get my two Grandchildren out for a ride but luckily they are a bit young and can't ride bikes yet. Reckon by the time they do get to take me out for a ride- it will be me wanting the rest stops.

Just hope the grandson learnt some lessons so he can kick yout butt on next years ride.:innocent:

John_V 04-06-13 04:56 PM

My oldest grandson, who's now 17, won't ride with me anymore since he bet me $200.00, two years ago, that he could beat me. I dropped him like a hot potato and then came the excuses. I should have kept him to his word on the bet.

Dudelsack 04-06-13 05:10 PM

Nothing beats riding with the fam.

overthehillmedi 04-06-13 09:45 PM

Want to bet he remembers the ride for the rest of his life.

capejohn 04-07-13 03:07 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if he got hooked on riding and started doing regular rides with you. Maybe even a week long tour. BTW I noticed you ride a Felt. Me too.

GeorgeBMac 04-07-13 04:09 PM

that's great... You obviously enjoyed yourself and I hope that he did as well...

Were there any parts that he liked better than others? That might be a good way to get him coming back for more.........

John V had good system going -- but he blew it by beating him. Your grandson is only 13 -- so maybe give him a handicap headstart...

qcpmsame 04-08-13 06:17 AM

Sounds like a great way to spend time with your grandson, Ron, time well invested for both of you. I hope he decides riding is worth sticking with as time passes, that would be a feather in your cap, but regardless he will treasure time with you, regardless. Good for you!

Bill

John_V 04-08-13 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 15481385)
John V had good system going -- but he blew it by beating him. Your grandson is only 13 -- so maybe give him a handicap headstart...

At that time in his life, my grandson was a big trash talker. He was involved in several sports and always bragged about how he could outdo anyone in the family. He rode with me and the wife on several family rides with his parents and still does (on certain occasions), but he won't ride with me one on one. One day, I called him on it and told him I would give him $20.00 if he could beat me, as he claimed he could. So being the trash talker that he was, he bets me $50.00 that he could beat me within the first mile and I called him on it. Then he shows his butt again and raised it to $200.00. I told him I would give him the $200.00 if he was able to ride one 7 mile loop of the park at my speed. He didn't have to beat me, just keep up for the entire loop. He said he could do it with no problems so one day we went and I let him use my Defy, so he was also on a road bike. On the way to the loop, I told him when we approach the loop, that is when we start the challenge. We got to the loop, I took off and he was nowhere to be seen. I stopped and waited for him and when he showed up, I got the million and one excuses. When we got done with the ride, at a really slow pace, I gave him the original amount of $20.00 just for coming out and riding. Now, that he has a car, you can't get him on a bike unless you threaten him with his life.

Artmo 04-08-13 09:19 AM

Our 13 year-old, 6ft tall(!) grandson will be spending a few days with us this week, so I'm hoping one of my bikes will fit him and we'll take a ride somewhere. That will be a first, for him on a road bike, so I hope he will take to it.

JoeMan 04-12-13 12:39 AM

Man that's the good life! I love riding with my adult children and grand children.

climberguy 04-12-13 08:05 AM

Hey Ron, that sounds like a great time with your grandson--low key, no pressure, a nice ride. Hope you can continue it with him.

I have fun riding with my sons, ages 7 and 9, though they are still on mountain bikes and we stick to sidewalks and a bike path. I packed a lunch once and we stopped at a picnic shelter near the bike path, ate, and came back. Less than 10 miles but they were tired. Riding with the kids--it's all good.