Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   An alternative to conventional helmets? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/882757-alternative-conventional-helmets.html)

Steve Sawyer 04-07-13 08:10 PM

An alternative to conventional helmets?

In watching the video that someone posted recently about the "clean rider" in the Tour de France, I was thinking how cool those old cycling caps that bicycle racers and wannabes used to wear Back In The Day...

Well, maybe that velo-fashion sense can be resurrected??

http://www.upworthy.com/the-invisibl...believe?c=ufb1

Zinger 04-07-13 11:10 PM

Lol

Is this for real or another april fools joke?

I've always rode with just a sweatband until I just started back from an 11 year layoff. My hat is about a 20 year old Nashbar unit that I bought to ride a century when they started requiring them. It's nerdy alright but it doesn't invite jerks to toss beer cans at me quite like the new duck-tailed ones probably would, lol. I live on the Idaho Washington border and find myself cycling eastward a lot because Idaho doesn't have a helmet law. It's a gamble though to ride without.

Burton 04-08-13 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer (Post 15482352)
In watching the video that someone posted recently about the "clean rider" in the Tour de France, I was thinking how cool those old cycling caps that bicycle racers and wannabes used to wear Back In The Day...

Well, maybe that velo-fashion sense can be resurrected??

http://www.upworthy.com/the-invisibl...believe?c=ufb1

The 'helmet' exists but I can't see people lining up to buy it. There's a basic contradiction in the dipiction of two young pretty girls riding older pedal bikes with rusted steel rims while wearing a use-once-only 399 euro airbag incorporating an electronic black box and trying to promote a 'back to basics' message.

One reason I personally wear a helmet is sun protection.

Dan Burkhart 04-08-13 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton (Post 15483415)

One reason I personally wear a helmet is sun protection.

I wear one to get a really cool tan pattern on top of my bald head. :lol:

cplager 04-08-13 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton (Post 15483415)
The 'helmet' exists but I can't see people lining up to buy it. There's a basic contradiction in the dipiction of two young pretty girls riding older pedal bikes with rusted steel rims while wearing a use-once-only 399 euro airbag incorporating an electronic black box and trying to promote a 'back to basics' message.

I wouldn't get one either. That being said, you can find 400 euro helmets and they are also "single use"...

CommuteCommando 04-08-13 07:54 AM

Delete

CommuteCommando 04-08-13 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15483452)
I wear one to get a really cool tan pattern on top of my bald head. :lol:

And if you have hair like I do, it gives you this really cool Velociraptor thing going on.:thumb:

Bikey Mikey 04-08-13 02:35 PM

Seen it posted here before. Price is really high.

As for one time use, so is a regular helmet. If you have a crash with a regular helmet, you need to get it replaced.

BlazingPedals 04-08-13 05:44 PM

So, people who don't like helmets because they're expensive and big, won't mind an even more expensive, big, and sweaty collar.

Must be a fashion thing. I wish 'em well but I ain't buying one.

CrankyFranky 04-08-13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 15486558)
So, people who don't like helmets because they're expensive and big, won't mind an even more expensive, big, and sweaty collar.

BUT... Their dogs will absolutely love them for it!

IBOHUNT 04-10-13 01:30 PM

An airbag/collar bike helmet would so "cool" on a hilly century like Mountain Mama or Mountains of Misery.

<end sarcasam>

NOS88 04-10-13 03:36 PM

:lol: You used "fashion" and "sense" in the same sentence. My experience as been that these two words never belong together.

Gravity Aided 04-10-13 04:45 PM

Maybe someone could make a poncho out of air mattresses and co2 cartridges. Full body airbag, wouldn't look any sillier, and could also be marketed as a sleep system for the cycle tourist who is also a restless sleeper.

Burton 04-10-13 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 15483455)
I wouldn't get one either. That being said, you can find 400 euro helmets and they are also "single use"...

:lol: yup! Heck - I ordered in a couple Giro Air Attacks for the girls - but their bikes don't have rusty steel rims!

Burton 04-10-13 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 15485836)

As for one time use, so is a regular helmet. If you have a crash with a regular helmet, you need to get it replaced.

Thats sorta true but 'normal' helmets have uses other than safety in the event of a crash. In the winter, the downhill ski helmets I use help keep my head warm. In the summer the ones I currently use offer some sun protection. The ones I have on order incorporate a face shield for bug protection as well as sun protection.

So 'normal' helmets kinda double as 'hats' too. That inflatable thingie doubles as a scarf - and I never wear a scarf.

CommuteCommando 04-10-13 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 15495351)
:lol: You used "fashion" and "sense" in the same sentence. My experience as been that these two words never belong together.

My sentiments exactly, but I will never tell my wife that.

irwin7638 04-11-13 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 15485836)

Speaking as one who has fallen on his head (most won't be surprised at that), I think 400 euro ($600) is reasonable. I fell on my head, the helmet probably saved me from fracturing my skull, but I still suffered a serious concussion and was lucky my neck wasn't broken. I'll be ordering an air bag as soon as they release the large size.

Marc

fietsbob 04-11-13 09:45 AM

Saw a picture years ago , the black Beret look in a bike helmet.. no holes,
so probably better in the cooler months.

None seen 1st hand.