Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-13, 09:52 AM   #1
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why Does It Take So Long?

I'm trying to figure out why it takes so long for my legs, specifically my thigh muscles to loosen up during a ride. Yesterday I was half way through a 23 mile ride before my legs felt comfortable. During the week, exercising on a stationary bicycle for an hour off the seat, the first half hour is tough but after that my legs loosen up. Is there a way to get loose quickly? This happens almost all the time I ride or exercise.
Frankfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 10:19 AM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Because you're old, like the rest of us.
Old 04-08-13, 10:56 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Nope, when you get old it's your eyelids that hurt.

You wear out from the bottom up. The legs are the first to go. Then your chest sags down into your stomach. Eventually the eyes lose some of their acuteness and you have to wear glasses. The mind goes next and lastly, the hair.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 11:28 AM   #4
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
nonsense. my mind went long ago...
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 11:35 AM   #5
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They say when you get old you will lose your mind but what they don't tell is you won't miss it very much.

Charlie
ps i wish i had thought of this line but its a quote from somewhere.
Ursa Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 11:50 AM   #6
Frankfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
That's what I thought.
Old 04-08-13, 11:53 AM   #7
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Retro has it right, we are just the lucky ones, we can ride across town, lots of folks our age can't get out of the car when they get there!
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

You wear out from the bottom up. The legs are the first to go. Then your chest sags down into your stomach. Eventually the eyes lose some of their acuteness and you have to wear glasses. The mind goes next and lastly, the hair.
gracehowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 11:54 AM   #8
Frankfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

No, my hair went first, then my eyes, then my hearing. We won't go any further.
Old 04-08-13, 12:01 PM   #9
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Starting when I was forty, my feet have grown three sizes, and I have shrunk an inch.

Welcome to old.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 12:12 PM   #10
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
No, my hair went first, then my eyes, then my hearing. We won't go any further.
You are getting a lot of light hearted answers and to a degree they are true. When we get older it takes longer to warm up. How much longer depends on you. For me the winter months take maybe 10 or 20 miles. In the summer it might be a few as five. The warmer the weather the less times it tend to take. Remember energy the body uses to warm up tend not to be available for sprints or climbs. Not that you will not have any energy only that you will not have as much before you are warmed up. I liken it to turning on the AC in your car while climbing a long grade. You can still do it but your acceleration is less.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 12:31 PM   #11
GFish

Bikes:
Certainly no straight answers here......

Getting back to the original question. There was a thread a few months ago, about how long it takes to warm up. I remember (I think), the general consensus was, an half hour to warm up. Then an article I read, stated that warm-up time can be affected by muscle mass and body composition. Generally, more mass equals more warm-up time. Think sprinters (mass) vs climbers (rail thin).

As for myself, if I'm just riding along with no goals, it'll take me apx. 10 miles to warm up, or 40 to 45 minutes, even longer if it's cold out. To shorten this time, I found that spinning low gears at over 100 rpm's helps reduce the time, maybe by half.

When I'm commuting, a 28 mile round trip, I often don't feel warmed up until I'm a couple miles from home.
GFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 01:01 PM   #12
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Warmup does not detract from the actual ride or reduce top end capability. However, that assumes one is strong enough to actually ride long enough to warmup before becoming too tired to continue.

Generally, I am not ready for an effort for at least 20 minutes. And I like to start out really easy, spinning slowly, gradually increasing power and cadence. This allows my blood vessels to dilate and my heart rate to ramp up to support added power. Too much power early on uses anaerobic capability which adds to fatigue and is a total waste of the that important power producing system.

Our track warmup consists of a 5 to 10 minutes of rolling around the inside of the track (not on the banking) slowly 10 to 15 mph and then going on the track at 18 mph (minimum speed required not to slide off the banking). We do a 60 lap warmup at 18 to 24 mph and then a motor cycle comes on the track and we do another 20 laps at 30 to 36 mph with the motor cycle leading the group. Upon completion of the that, we do a couple of 100 meter jumps and 2 to 3 three lap accelerations. That concludes our warmup and we are now ready for the workout.
Old 04-08-13, 01:21 PM   #13
Frankfast

Our track warmup consists of a 5 to 10 minutes of rolling around the inside of the track (not on the banking) slowly 10 to 15 mph and then going on the track at 18 mph (minimum speed required not to slide off the banking). We do a 60 lap warmup at 18 to 24 mph and then a motor cycle comes on the track and we do another 20 laps at 30 to 36 mph with the motor cycle leading the group. Upon completion of the that, we do a couple of 100 meter jumps and 2 to 3 three lap accelerations. That concludes our warmup and we are now ready for the workout.[/QUOTE]

Wow! What are jumps?
Old 04-08-13, 04:40 PM   #14
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Our track warmup consists of a 5 to 10 minutes of rolling around the inside of the track (not on the banking) slowly 10 to 15 mph and then going on the track at 18 mph (minimum speed required not to slide off the banking). We do a 60 lap warmup at 18 to 24 mph and then a motor cycle comes on the track and we do another 20 laps at 30 to 36 mph with the motor cycle leading the group. Upon completion of the that, we do a couple of 100 meter jumps and 2 to 3 three lap accelerations. That concludes our warmup and we are now ready for the workout.
Wow! What are jumps?[/QUOTE]

A jump is when one starts at the top of the banking, using the slope to increase speed and accelerates as hard as possible for 100 meters.
Old 04-08-13, 06:40 PM   #15
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I have found that my warmup time can be compressed if I have been regularly stretching in the evenings. I don't stretch before riding, but I try to make a habit of doing so after a workout and before bed, and the more I stretch the better I feel at the outset of the next ride.

Do it slowly, no bouncing. Hold to discomfort and repeat.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 02:40 PM   #16
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Bikes:
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Is there a way to get loose quickly? This happens almost all the time I ride or exercise.
Yes there Is, I had that problem but now I get 'Loose' before I ride and stay that way until my legs give up the ghost when I Crush them hard at the end of my rides.
I am 54 so I am just an 'Old Fart In Training'

1) NO fast foods, ever ! Mc doogles will kill you. Stop eating processed meats, can you say Cancer ?
2) No more than 4 cans of soda a week,,, 2 would be better.
3) Potassium daily, then pre ride and post ride, Bananas and O.J. etc

4) M O S T IMPORTANT !!! Learn to hydrate CORRECTLY ! Most people do it wrong !
4B) The water you drink today will only help you the NEXT DAY !
4C) Electrolytes,,,think 2 parts water to 1 part Gatorade, Ever watch football players on the side lines ??
4D)Don't drink too much water and no Gatorade...
4E),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Getting the picture ? Hydration Is key to,,,,Proper stretching !!

You like most people probably need help stretching correctly. It may be wise at this point to seek a pro and PAY him for his time !
Learn and move on....

When I get to the last one or two MILES I pour on the coals and pump till I have nothing left, sometimes I make it only a half a mile, no biggie.
You see, the thing is I am now doing this IN THE DIRT !
Sugar sand jeep trails and some of it is very soft, not for everyone but if you want it bad enough pain becomes your friend.
I ride the to the end at full power and always until I cannot lift myself off the seat even an Inch,

In this I gain and I love it..

I lost about 5 lbs in four months on my LWB recumbent Tour Easy...
I lost 5 more in ONE Month on my Mountain Bike...

Ok I'm done XD

Last edited by osco53; 04-12-13 at 02:52 PM.
osco53 is offline   Reply With Quote