Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was different.

It must be getting old, But it seems that there is always something new happening with my body.
    I did an easy ride with my wife saturday afternoon, 15 or so mile, pretty slow. It was the first ride in a couple of weeks, and it felt pretty good to be out riding.
    Fast forward, later that night, I got in bed, moved my leg and; WHAM-O, I got a cramp in my calf. It came on so sudden, and was so painfull, I lost the power of speach. After my scream of course. My wife, who has a tendency to go straight to panic, then started with the "whatswrong?whatswrong?whatswrong?" I couldn't say anything to tell her what it was, except 'oo oo oo oo'(kinda like Horshack from Welcome back Cotter). It only lasted a minute or two(time also stopped) until I got it streched out, but man, did it hurt. In all my years of running, cycling, etc., I can only remember two times that happened. I'm really happy thats all.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens to me if I get too dehydrated and over do it. It can be very painful. Reminds me to drink plenty of water while riding. Something I have wondered about, this usually happens to me when I ride in the wind. Does riding into the wind dry you out more than similar effort on a hill?
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    It must be getting old, But it seems that there is always something new happening with my body.
    I did an easy ride with my wife saturday afternoon, 15 or so mile, pretty slow. It was the first ride in a couple of weeks, and it felt pretty good to be out riding.
    Fast forward, later that night, I got in bed, moved my leg and; WHAM-O, I got a cramp in my calf. It came on so sudden, and was so painfull, I lost the power of speach. After my scream of course. My wife, who has a tendency to go straight to panic, then started with the "whatswrong?whatswrong?whatswrong?" I couldn't say anything to tell her what it was, except 'oo oo oo oo'(kinda like Horshack from Welcome back Cotter). It only lasted a minute or two(time also stopped) until I got it streched out, but man, did it hurt. In all my years of running, cycling, etc., I can only remember two times that happened. I'm really happy thats all.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't say anything to tell her what it was, except 'oo oo oo oo'(kinda like Horshack from Welcome back Cotter).
    Now that was funny! As making said, you might have been dehydrated or even low on salt if you had sweat quite a bit. I've had the occasional cramp after hard rides. I'm still cramping some after yesterday's half marathon.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Goats blood works wonders for that.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dehydration is only one possible cause of nocturnal leg cramps. Since I suffer occasionally from them, I am also trying coconut water for electrolyte replacement.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could've been worse. It could've happened during intimate congress.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Could've been worse. It could've happened during intimate congress.
    Wow, I didn't know congress ever....

oh never mind.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either you were dehydrated or over-hydrated and needing electrolytes that the excess water flushed out of your body. Seems I need extra potassium after many rides so I always consume something with plenty of it, like dates, yogurt, V8, or Mortons Lite salt on a salad or veggies.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.
    2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens to me all the time, usually on longer harder rides (100+ miles or so.) Nothing I've tried helps. Hydration, no hydration, electrolytes etc. It is amazingly painful, until it just... isn't any more. But while it's happening you think it's never going to end. ugh. My least favorite part of cycling.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be careful with the potassium intake unless you know you:
    1. Don't have any kidney disease
    2. Are without any signs of hypertension
    3. Don't have Addison's disease

Here's a link to an evidenced based study on treatments for muscle cramps: http://www.neurology.org/content/74/8/691.full

Unfortunately, there's little that seems to work across the board.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there on a ride. Instant cramp and lockout in my calf. Most pain I've felt in one place bar none. A quick can of powerade and 10 minutes stop put all to rights. I think I was just drinking too much water and not replacing minerals fast enough.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I have to say it, pics or it didn't happen,
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Keep a jar of pickle juice in the fridge, I hear it works on cramps.
    I tried that once, and while the cold felt nice on my legs, it was smelly and messed up the sheets.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get occasional foot and calf cramps but now...get this...I get THIGH cramps, too! Painful to the point that while it's happening it's literally disabling. My reading tells me * most common in women over 60. Ah! Another "perk" associated with aging!
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    was so painfull, I lost the power of speach

Are you sure it's gone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Are you sure it's gone?
    The cramp? Yes, it' gone.

The power of speach? Not so sure, as most married men know.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power of speach? Not so sure, as most married men know.
    Just shelved. If you don't want to spend 2 hours talking about something trivial its sometimes better not to say anything sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you suggesting a cramp is trivial?! I find one debilitating. I've experienced all of those described herein, and would love to know a sure-fire treatment. it's not to stop cycling - I get them, seemingly, at random - even when not having 'overdone' anything. the only time I clearly associated leg cramp with cycling was during the last third of a fifty-mile early-season charity ride (when I could not even dismount - had to fall over - walk a few miles, and only ride home in lowest gear (though the last miles were quite flat). went to a doctor to ask about the trouble. he said, "what are you doing - bragging? what you need is exercise." HE ought have informed me about hydration/electrolyte/salt issues, or so it seems now (I'm 67 - I was much younger then. AHH, THE TIMES I'VE SAID THAT). he, too, seemed to view cramp as a trivial thing.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sodium, potassium & magnesium. take them regularly especially before long rides.

if you want a special treat fill the tub and soak your legs for 20min minimum with a lot of epsom salt and a dash of Spearmint & eucalyptus oil bath soap. the magnesium in the epsom salt is a natural muscle relaxer. that, plus a glass of red wine ... very nice, just don't drown if you nod off! walmart has the best prices for epsom salt, and I get this stuff at our local Christmas Tree Store but it can be found elsewhere: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Teals-Foami...als+eucalyptus
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting