Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leg opposing muscle exercises?

I think the quads are overtaking the hamstrings and supporting cast, as I'm getting some tight IT band sensations, and tendency to hamstring and also foot, cramps. Been riding mostly once a week on the road- 60-80 miles with some hills and some intensity.

Got any strengthening/ stretching routines to recommend? Prefer non gym machine approaches, but I have a bench, resistance tubing, and a few weights.

Thanks.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 to 80 miles in one hit is a good mileage. Throw in some hills and effort and you would have worked hard. But that is all you are doing. I am thinking over stress on that ride without any other exercise to relieve or bring the intensity down at some point.

I know that 60 miles is within my reach but that is only part of my riding. I also do a couple of 20 milers- up hills or a flat ride with a bit more speed- so the muscles are not suddenly thrown into giving effort from a weeks break.

So my suggestion is to get more shorter rides in just so the legs are "Trained" and kept in trim before doing those longer harder rides that push them to the limit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamstring tightening (and various other muscle imbalances) is a normal consequence of riding. Article posted by NOS88 will help. Length of ride has nothing to do with muscle imbalance, it's your total mileage. When I was riding 200-250 miles/wk, I'd go to yoga class and could barely get my legs flat on the floor. Leg elevations were a joke - my knees had about a 30 degree bend.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try foam rolling your IT band. Works wonders. Painful the first few times to be sure as the muscle adhesions breakdown.