Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-09-13, 04:10 PM   #1
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of 2013

I would not say I am a dedicated rider. In fact I really just started back riding on any normal schedule last year. As the winter got colder I quit. Last night the weather made me want to get out and ride. I know it's nothing to you guys here that are dedicated but I rode 20 miles, felt good although I must admit I am sore today. But when I look around at most of my friends, there is not a one that could do that. It makes me feel good that even after a heart attack a few years ago, I am in better shape than my peers. I got to get back to a normal riding schedule.
Piratebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 04:23 PM   #2
volosong 

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome back (on the road). The winter lay-off has been really hard on me and my fitness. The time changed right after Halloween last year and it got cold at the same time. My mileage really dropped off, and as a result, I gained about 15 pounds. As you attest ... it feel real good to be back on two wheels.

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 07:36 PM   #3
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Welcome back to the riding world, sounds as if you have built up some fitness and aerobic capacity that is sticking with you now. Just keep riding as much as you can and the soreness will go away as your body gets used to riding and the extra activity.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 10:08 PM   #4
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I love this time of year - the anticipation of more riding - I just wish it would quit raining long enough to get out and ride. (I'm a fair weather cyclist)

OP Good for you to get back riding again. I went with my 60+ yr old brother-in-law to buy a new bike last weekend. His first since the Gitane his dad bought him when he was a teenager. It's looking like it will be a good year for cycling.
h2oxtc is offline   Reply With Quote