User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appetite Increasing

It seems the more I ride, the hungrier I get. I feel I could eat all the time. I go on 30-40 mile rides several times per week, with hills on my Hybrid Sirrus Elite Disc. I've probably gained 5 lbs in the last 6 months to 205lbs. It feels like when I was a swimmer in high school and ate a big meal after practices. Is this normal for a 64 yr old?

Lars

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 500km a week and find I eat twice as much and still main
    tain a stable weight. More energy out needs to be balanced by more on.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that 500km a week come from dodging bullets coming from Kim Il Nun?

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah.. they are all hot air. 12 years and the same empty threats every year.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more energy you expend, the more you want to eat to replace that energy. If you exercise, you can also gain muscle mass. So unless you are able to cut down on the amount of food you eat, relative to how much energy you expend, you aren't going to lose weight through exercise.

Think of the phrase, "I'm working up an appetite."
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    BH Crystal & hoping to get my own MTB soon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm experiencing the same thing myself and it find it very disturbing. i was doing fine when i was running (bcos for me somehow running acts as a natural appetite suppressant) but after a foot injury i started cycling more and altho i hv hit 100km and higher, and i hv tried to match the same level of intensity to that of my running, i still end up hungry. i wonder why?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try eating apples. Apples are relatively low cal and filling. Better to eat a couple of apples than a burger or other junk. Also, chewing sugar free gum is another way to help not eat. But, make sure you are eating. You need to eat. Don't think, "Okay, I just burned off 1000 calories and I'll make sure I only eat the 1800 calories that I'd need maintain weight without cycling." You need to eat some of those lost calories.

Bananas are good too, but not quite as filling as an apple--but bananas have some needed potassium. Make a fruit salad with an apple, a banana, and a few grapes, strawberries, or blueberries.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found I can eat enought to offset any amount of riding I do. When I avoid sugar, gluten, eggs, dairy, and focus on fish, lean red meats, fruits and vegetables, I do much better at feeling satiated without putting on the weight.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if my artificial sweetener (Splenda) in my coffee every morning is what's causing my appetite increase as well. They are known to do this.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the problem?

If weight loss is one of your objectives then eating to compensate for the calories lost is a problem. I don't have this situation but one thing I do is eat while on long rides. Rarely get to the end of a ride feeling hungry but weight gain does depend on what I eat on the ride. Expend 1.000 cals and eat 1500 on the ride and then have a big meal afterwards and I WILL gain weight.

But a 2 hour ride and I rarely eat. May have an energy drink in the bottle and carry a gel for emergency but that is all. I have breakfast before hand that is high in carbs but not a big one. Lunch will be something light but Evening meal is something substantial.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Halstrom View Post
    It seems the more I ride, the hungrier I get. I feel I could eat all the time. ....... Is this normal for a 64 yr old? Lars
    Same for me @ 62. An hour after a long ride I consume waaay too many calories.
    When the schedule & weather cooperate I try to split 1 long ride into shorter morning and evening rides.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazingly my appetite has subsided! I think I was just overcompensating subconsciously for the increase of cycling activity. Whew! I ran across some interesting research on exercise, fasting and eating on two videos on the www.PBS.org website with Michael Mosely, a journalist and physician from London. Each video is an hour and streamed. Sound isn't synched perfectly but acceptable.

Lars