Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Margaret Thatcher Separation Thread (Pulled out of the AnnetteThread

. . . and here I thought you were going to be talking about Margaret Thatcher . . . I must be older than I think.

Rick / OCRR

PS: Margaret was a Great One too!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annette and Maggie Thatcher on the same day? SAD!!!
    The world will never be the same.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the TV news, her death was reported before Margaret Thatcher's.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    . . . and here I thought you were going to be talking about Margaret Thatcher . . . I must be older than I think.

Rick / OCRR

No disrespect meant, but this was the first thing that popped into my head when I read of her death.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Navy tech schools back then. We would march double time back to the barracks to watch the MMC and Annette.
    May she rest in peace. And as mentioned may the great lady Margaret Thatcher rest in peace also. This is one of the sad parts about getting old!!!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The local paper carried such tasteful editorial cartoons on the passing of the Iron Lady.

Gee, if you can't say anything respectful about a political opponent at the time of his or her passing, it's best to keep your trap shut.

That's what I think.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is one of the reasons why I subscribe to foreign english speaking news services on the internet. One reason is that news is about the only thing I would watch much on TV anyway so $5 a month is cheaper than cable news. The other is that US news is full of s**t about ourselves.
    Last edited by Zinger; 04-11-13 at 02:45 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't say I agree with Mr. Conason but at least his article was respectful. Good on him.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I subscribe to foreign english speaking news services on the internet. One reason is that news is about the only thing I would watch much on TV anyway so $5 a month is cheaper than cable news. The other is that US news is full of s**t about ourselves.
    One day about 20 yrs. ago we had a young Russian woman come to live with us for a few months. She was an exchange teacher who was at the Univ. of CT. She had been living with us for awhile when we were watching TV and she remarked that she didn't realize that there was so much propaganda in the US. My thought was, "What are you talking about?" But it made me look at our media more thoughtfully and over time I realized that being Russian she knew what propaganda was and she saw it much more clearly than I in our society. It's all around us and we have been so immersed in it that we don't see it. Unless of course we step back and get out of the Conservative-Liberal or Democrat-Republican "game" that keeps us from really seeing what the real game is.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Let's not hijack the Annette Thread with Maggie. Both deserve their own threads. Let's keep this ine as nonpolitical as is possible so I don't have to move it to P&R.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Let's not hijack the Annette Thread with Maggie. Both deserve their own threads. Let's keep this ine as nonpolitical as is possible so I don't have to move it to P&R.
    Agreed and thank you. My comments are not intended to be political in the traditional "pick a side" sense. In fact that is exactly the thing I hope we can all stop engaging in.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Agreed and thank you. My comments are not intended to be political in the traditional "pick a side" sense. In fact that is exactly the thing I hope we can all stop engaging in.
    Which is exactly why you felt compelled to link an article written by Joe Conason

Puleeze. You're welcome to your opinion but don't insult the intelligence of everyone else.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I appreciate your intention, but it is impossible to do that with Thatcher because she was such a divisive figure. There will be street parties celebrating her death (I'm not kidding) at the same time as her grossly extravagant taxpayer-funded funeral is in progress - that's how polarised opinion is in the UK about her "legacy". She forced people to pick sides, constantly asking the question "is he (it was usually a he) one of us?" and referring to the propertied middle class as "our people".

"Ding dong, the witch is dead" - the Judy Garland song - is near the top of the charts here this week. People in their tens of thousands are downloading it as a protest against the hagiography that is going on in the right-wing press.
    Last edited by chasm54; 04-12-13 at 08:37 AM.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Which is exactly why you felt compelled to link an article written by Joe Conason

Puleeze. You're welcome to your opinion but don't insult the intelligence of everyone else.
    The point, which I understand you don't care to acknowledge, is that she was an extremely polarizing figure who was not thought of as "great" by many if not most of her countrymen. You seem to be one of those people who is locked in to an ideology so I don't expect much from you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping it light here.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    IZip Express, GT Sanction 2.0, Schwinn beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    I appreciate your intention, but it is impossible to do that with Thatcher because she was such a divisive figure. There will be street parties celebrating her death (I'm not kidding) at the same time as her grossly extravagant taxpayer-funded funeral is in progress - that's how polarised opinion is in the UK about her "legacy". She forced people to pick sides, constantly asking the question "is he (it was usually a he) one of us?" and referring to the propertied middle class as "our people".

"Ding dong, the witch is dead" - the Judy Garland song - is near the top of the charts here this week. People in their tens of thousands are downloading it as a protest against the hagiography that is going on in the right-wing press.

Yep!
    As Linda Ellerbee used to close with... "and so it goes."

She brought the full weight of the British secret service upon the unions. What a great gal indeed.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annette Funicello=Margaret Thatcher? So many similarities I hardly know where to begin.....

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post

Yeah I just heard that.....on Al Jazeera. Was hearing some interviews with miners families in northern England on Sky News the other day and they were pretty much of that opinion. Quite a bit of difference from what you hear on FOX news here in the states even though Murdoch is partial owner of Sky.

Pretty good round-table talk on France 24 News where they seem to have both sides of the history of the union strikes and Fauklands war there.
    Last edited by Zinger; 04-13-13 at 04:08 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-13 at 03:01 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems that pols don't quite get the tears, grief and sentimental send off that teen heart-throbs get, lol

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Just to be understood, I wasn't making a political statement about Margaret one way or the other, just saying she had a great impact on the world and obviously the U.K. in particular. Whether you feel that she was right or wrong . . . I don't want to go there.

Rick / OCRR