Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-08-13, 04:06 PM   #1
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Margaret Thatcher Separation Thread (Pulled out of the AnnetteThread

. . . and here I thought you were going to be talking about Margaret Thatcher . . . I must be older than I think.

Rick / OCRR

PS: Margaret was a Great One too!
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 04:59 PM   #2
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Annette and Maggie Thatcher on the same day? SAD!!!
The world will never be the same.

And Jesus looking upon them saith, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 09:38 PM   #3
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
On the TV news, her death was reported before Margaret Thatcher's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 10:01 PM   #4
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
. . . and here I thought you were going to be talking about Margaret Thatcher . . . I must be older than I think.

Rick / OCRR

No disrespect meant, but this was the first thing that popped into my head when I read of her death.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 07:40 AM   #5
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
I was in Navy tech schools back then. We would march double time back to the barracks to watch the MMC and Annette.
May she rest in peace. And as mentioned may the great lady Margaret Thatcher rest in peace also. This is one of the sad parts about getting old!!!!
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 03:16 PM   #6
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
The local paper carried such tasteful editorial cartoons on the passing of the Iron Lady.

Gee, if you can't say anything respectful about a political opponent at the time of his or her passing, it's best to keep your trap shut.

That's what I think.
Old 04-11-13, 11:46 AM   #7
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
http://www.nationofchange.org/her-te...rld-1365688684
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 12:57 PM   #8
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
This is one of the reasons why I subscribe to foreign english speaking news services on the internet. One reason is that news is about the only thing I would watch much on TV anyway so $5 a month is cheaper than cable news. The other is that US news is full of s**t about ourselves.

Last edited by Zinger; 04-11-13 at 02:45 PM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 02:16 PM   #9
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Can't say I agree with Mr. Conason but at least his article was respectful. Good on him.
Old 04-11-13, 05:37 PM   #10
bruce19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
This is one of the reasons why I subscribe to foreign english speaking news services on the internet. One reason is that news is about the only thing I would watch much on TV anyway so $5 a month is cheaper than cable news. The other is that US news is full of s**t about ourselves.
One day about 20 yrs. ago we had a young Russian woman come to live with us for a few months. She was an exchange teacher who was at the Univ. of CT. She had been living with us for awhile when we were watching TV and she remarked that she didn't realize that there was so much propaganda in the US. My thought was, "What are you talking about?" But it made me look at our media more thoughtfully and over time I realized that being Russian she knew what propaganda was and she saw it much more clearly than I in our society. It's all around us and we have been so immersed in it that we don't see it. Unless of course we step back and get out of the Conservative-Liberal or Democrat-Republican "game" that keeps us from really seeing what the real game is.
Old 04-11-13, 08:54 PM   #11
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Let's not hijack the Annette Thread with Maggie. Both deserve their own threads. Let's keep this ine as nonpolitical as is possible so I don't have to move it to P&R.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 07:12 AM   #12
bruce19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Let's not hijack the Annette Thread with Maggie. Both deserve their own threads. Let's keep this ine as nonpolitical as is possible so I don't have to move it to P&R.
Agreed and thank you. My comments are not intended to be political in the traditional "pick a side" sense. In fact that is exactly the thing I hope we can all stop engaging in.
Old 04-12-13, 08:16 AM   #13
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Quote:
Agreed and thank you. My comments are not intended to be political in the traditional "pick a side" sense. In fact that is exactly the thing I hope we can all stop engaging in.
Which is exactly why you felt compelled to link an article written by Joe Conason

Puleeze. You're welcome to your opinion but don't insult the intelligence of everyone else.
Old 04-12-13, 08:24 AM   #14
chasm54
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
I appreciate your intention, but it is impossible to do that with Thatcher because she was such a divisive figure. There will be street parties celebrating her death (I'm not kidding) at the same time as her grossly extravagant taxpayer-funded funeral is in progress - that's how polarised opinion is in the UK about her "legacy". She forced people to pick sides, constantly asking the question "is he (it was usually a he) one of us?" and referring to the propertied middle class as "our people".

"Ding dong, the witch is dead" - the Judy Garland song - is near the top of the charts here this week. People in their tens of thousands are downloading it as a protest against the hagiography that is going on in the right-wing press.

Last edited by chasm54; 04-12-13 at 08:37 AM.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:08 AM   #15
bruce19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Which is exactly why you felt compelled to link an article written by Joe Conason

Puleeze. You're welcome to your opinion but don't insult the intelligence of everyone else.
The point, which I understand you don't care to acknowledge, is that she was an extremely polarizing figure who was not thought of as "great" by many if not most of her countrymen. You seem to be one of those people who is locked in to an ideology so I don't expect much from you.
Old 04-12-13, 10:03 AM   #16
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Keeping it light here.
[video=youtube;3aAW5822Otg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aAW5822Otg[/video]
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:53 AM   #17
pursuance

Bikes: IZip Express, GT Sanction 2.0, Schwinn beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
I appreciate your intention, but it is impossible to do that with Thatcher because she was such a divisive figure. There will be street parties celebrating her death (I'm not kidding) at the same time as her grossly extravagant taxpayer-funded funeral is in progress - that's how polarised opinion is in the UK about her "legacy". She forced people to pick sides, constantly asking the question "is he (it was usually a he) one of us?" and referring to the propertied middle class as "our people".

"Ding dong, the witch is dead" - the Judy Garland song - is near the top of the charts here this week. People in their tens of thousands are downloading it as a protest against the hagiography that is going on in the right-wing press.

Yep!
As Linda Ellerbee used to close with... "and so it goes."

She brought the full weight of the British secret service upon the unions. What a great gal indeed.
pursuance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 07:14 AM   #18
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Annette Funicello=Margaret Thatcher? So many similarities I hardly know where to begin.....
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 01:37 PM   #19
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post

Yeah I just heard that.....on Al Jazeera. Was hearing some interviews with miners families in northern England on Sky News the other day and they were pretty much of that opinion. Quite a bit of difference from what you hear on FOX news here in the states even though Murdoch is partial owner of Sky.

Pretty good round-table talk on France 24 News where they seem to have both sides of the history of the union strikes and Fauklands war there.

Last edited by Zinger; 04-13-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 02:32 PM   #20
bruce19

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/1...chers-funeral/
Old 04-15-13, 02:48 PM   #21
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
As read : response, (as from The Wizard of Oz), "Ding Dong"..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ld?INTCMP=SRCH
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...y-wicked-woman

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-13 at 03:01 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 03:06 PM   #22
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

It seems that pols don't quite get the tears, grief and sentimental send off that teen heart-throbs get, lol
Old 04-15-13, 03:38 PM   #23
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Just to be understood, I wasn't making a political statement about Margaret one way or the other, just saying she had a great impact on the world and obviously the U.K. in particular. Whether you feel that she was right or wrong . . . I don't want to go there.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote