Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD blew up on commute home

On the virgin commute for my newly modified Lemond I blew up the RD. It was 1/2 mile from work. The chain jumped off the big ring (I failed on adjusting the shifter). As I have on other bikes I adjusted the shift and pedaled through. On the other bikes the chain will climb back on the chainring. On the Lemond something went clunk, caught hard, and the RD got torn apart. Fortunately the RD didn't go into the spokes and I wasn't thrown. I paddled the bike like a skateboard most of the way back to work.

The hanger, integrated with the frame, is apparently slightly bent. I've put on a replacement RD but the chain jumps gears erratically on the cassette while shifting. I usually don't have good results trying to fix this type of problem - I guess the LBS will get some business. Too bad this is probably the peak season.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill,

My fitness level, and slovenly ways are keeping me from commuting as much as I should (or would like). Fortunately I've collected quite a herd of road bikes and can ride another one while the Lemond is in the shop.

We've jumped from winter like weather to summer like weather. Apart from the pollen counts the mild mornings are a great boon to the commute. On the days I'm too worn to do all the work I can take my electric assist trike.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the hanger is bent, even just slightly, it we mess up the shifting and make a noisy drive train. The hanger can be bent back, but the use of a hanger alignment tool to get it just right. Take it to the LBS. I took mine in when it happened to me, it was worth it.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be the chain came partly apart. I once savaged my derailleur that way.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aligning a bent hanger is quick and easy work with the right tool and knowledge. Your LBS should be able to get you back on the road with little delay or expense. (assuming that is actually the problem)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a sickening sound. On my ride yesterday someone right in front of me blew his RD. It was ugly. I suspect nothing less than the SAG wagon was required to get him going.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    It is a sickening sound. On my ride yesterday someone right in front of me blew his RD. It was ugly. I suspect nothing less than the SAG wagon was required to get him going.
    "The horror...the horror".
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I hope the LBS can set the hanger on your Lemond, no frame damage hopefully. Is it an integrated hanger (part of the drop out) or an demountable tab type? I can't remember which type of frame your Lemond has, CF or Aluminum so I'm just hoping for the best for you. Please keep us posted on the repairs.

Bill
    Carbon frame, integrated hanger, not break-away. I have to take time to go to the LBS. I was too busy this weekend doing yard work and didn't make progress on he Leader steel frame build - or any bike related activity.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I hope the LBS can set the hanger on your Lemond, no frame damage hopefully. Is it an integrated hanger (part of the drop out) or an demountable tab type? I can't remember which type of frame your Lemond has, CF or Aluminum so I'm just hoping for the best for you. Please keep us posted on the repairs.

Bill
    I took the Lemond to the non chain store LBS last night. They took it right away, fixed the RD hanger, and adjusted both he front and rear derailleurs.
    It took 30 minutes and I left the wrench a good tip.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I took the Lemond to the non chain store LBS last night. They took it right away, fixed the RD hanger, and adjusted both he front and rear derailleurs.
    It took 30 minutes and I left the wrench a good tip.
    Nice. I wonder what caused the problem?

I had a RD fly apart on me once. It had about 80,000 miles on it, so one of the pins holding it together may well have come apart. What I'll always remember is the nasty sound coming from the back of the bike, and watching one of the little idler pulleys scoot ahead of me while I braked to a stop. Never saw it again.
    Last edited by Biker395; 04-18-13 at 09:57 AM.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com