Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-13, 06:08 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Assault On The Carolinas

Really good organized loop ride from Brevard, NC which is in the mountains. Weather was perfect for riding-at last here in NC.

The town totally rolls out the red carpet for this event. Below are a few pics that show some of the things I found impressive. Starting chute and finish, large tent with tables to eat some terrific food afterwards, nice local band----very festive atmosphere. The last time I did the ride I think there were 200-300 riders. They capped registration and sold out at 1000 riders.

This is a really good route and in an area that George Hincapie used for training rides out of Greenville. It has some of everything. It has some short 1 mile steep climbs that hit 15%, a number of longer climbs including the 6+ feature climb up Caesars Head that is mostly 6%-9%. There are some speedy somewhat technical descents and some nice flats towards the last part of the route---unfortunately the last 10 miles were into a pretty good headwind today.

I did the 65.6 miles in 3 hr 58 mins and averaged 16.4 mph. I was fine with that as the route has 5600 ft of climbing. I can climb but I'm still pretty slow even with reduced weight and a lighter bike. Oh well. I did manage to pass a few riders on Caesars Head but one was fella whose left crank had broken and he was climbing with one leg?????

The 6 miles climb ends at mile 49 and I felt that one a lot. In fact my legs were cramping pretty badly. I took it easy for about the next 10 miles but had recovered well enough to jump in a group and win a sprint at the end!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brevard-20130413-00060.jpg (99.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Brevard-20130413-00061.jpg (100.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130413-00059.jpg (99.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-13-13, 07:19 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Phenomenal!
Old 04-13-13, 07:40 PM   #3
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it was an awesome day for the ride. That's two years in a row for a ride that in the past has been known for bad weather. I guess the odds eventually even out. I thought about you and Neal today and I felt sorry for myself having not gotten my registration in before it sold out. Glad you had a great ride. I like the Caesars Head climb even though it kicks my butt. I've never done the last 10 miles into town without a headwind. We do have some of the best events anywhere, right here in WNC!
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote