Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault On The Carolinas

Really good organized loop ride from Brevard, NC which is in the mountains. Weather was perfect for riding-at last here in NC.

The town totally rolls out the red carpet for this event. Below are a few pics that show some of the things I found impressive. Starting chute and finish, large tent with tables to eat some terrific food afterwards, nice local band----very festive atmosphere. The last time I did the ride I think there were 200-300 riders. They capped registration and sold out at 1000 riders.

This is a really good route and in an area that George Hincapie used for training rides out of Greenville. It has some of everything. It has some short 1 mile steep climbs that hit 15%, a number of longer climbs including the 6+ feature climb up Caesars Head that is mostly 6%-9%. There are some speedy somewhat technical descents and some nice flats towards the last part of the route---unfortunately the last 10 miles were into a pretty good headwind today.

I did the 65.6 miles in 3 hr 58 mins and averaged 16.4 mph. I was fine with that as the route has 5600 ft of climbing. I can climb but I'm still pretty slow even with reduced weight and a lighter bike. Oh well. I did manage to pass a few riders on Caesars Head but one was fella whose left crank had broken and he was climbing with one leg?????

The 6 miles climb ends at mile 49 and I felt that one a lot. In fact my legs were cramping pretty badly. I took it easy for about the next 10 miles but had recovered well enough to jump in a group and win a sprint at the end!!

Brevard-20130413-00060.jpg

Brevard-20130413-00061.jpg

IMG-20130413-00059.jpg
    Ride your Ride!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Phenomenal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was an awesome day for the ride. That's two years in a row for a ride that in the past has been known for bad weather. I guess the odds eventually even out. I thought about you and Neal today and I felt sorry for myself having not gotten my registration in before it sold out. Glad you had a great ride. I like the Caesars Head climb even though it kicks my butt. I've never done the last 10 miles into town without a headwind. We do have some of the best events anywhere, right here in WNC!
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB