Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creatine Monohydrate

I have been using gels, SIS hydrate and energy and recovery powders and even though they help I found that I was still having aches and pains and low energy levels ,I do 12 hours a week of intensive gym work and with every spin class or kettle bells I was not getting stronger.
    I this weekend bought Creatine Monhydrate and tried for the first time on saturday and I do believe I have loads more energy couldnt sleep on the first day thats after having done a spring clean on the house next day I was up and worked 12 hours on deep cleansing the kitchen.

Has anyone else had experience of this I am not trying to build muscle definition at my age getting rid of belly be success however am liking the energy boost considering I only take 1 teaspoon a day (if you want muscle 5 a day) according to the reports Creatine is something produced naturally by the gall bladder and this is just boosting the levels.

I am on day three still havent managed to get on a long bike ride but do feel more energetic

BTW has zero taste

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're going anaerobic in your workouts, you're probably experiencing a placebo effect.

Creatine is fuel, stored in the muscles, used in anaerobic activities. Heavy anaerobic activity can cause your muscles to store more, supplements can put a bit in the blood too I think. The other benefit (aside from giving you slightly more anaerobic capacity,) is that it tends to make your muscle cells retain more water. That's good from a cyclist's point of view in that it gives you more water storage against dehydration. It also expands the muscle cells, which makes them *look* like you're gaining muscle mass. But it's mass that you lose as soon as you go off the supplement. And water retention is a Bad Thing if you're on a diuretic for some reason.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use it for benchpress and powerlifting training when competing 10-15yrs ago.For cycling I wouldnt use it anywhere near my long distance rides due to the hydration needs of 50+mile rides and especially on hot days. In a sport where we struggle to stay hydrated we dont need a substance that requires your vigilance to water maintenance....even when doing nothing. To me, that spells disaster.

That said, I might try it for sprints, intervals and "strava" hillclimbs where at times I use my stripped down 460 (no bag, bottle or pump).
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BP, that may not be completely accurate. Here is a writeup about training at the track which discusses the systems that produce power (muscle contraction). http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/train_rodamaker.pdf The ATP-CP system is available for about 7 seconds which is what some call "free energy". Once the 7 seconds are over, then the anaerobic system kicks in and one goes into oxygen debt. Creatine supplementation MAY improve the ATP CP system.

We train the ATP-CP system by doing jumps or standing starts lasting less than 7 seconds. We wait for 2 to 3 minutes for the system to reload and then do another effort.
    Last edited by Hermes; 04-15-13 at 10:16 AM.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    BP, that may not be completely accurate. Here is a writeup about training at the track which discusses the systems that produce power (muscle contraction). http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/train_rodamaker.pdf The ATP-CP system is available for about 7 seconds which is what some call "free energy". Once the 7 seconds are over, then the anaerobic system kicks in and one goes into oxygen debt. Creatine supplementation MAY improve the ATP CP system.

We train the ATP-CP system by doing jumps or standing starts lasting less than 7 seconds. We wait for 2 to 3 minutes for the system to reload and then do another effort.
    So, you're saying that it's used in the few seconds *before* going anaerobic? That sounds good. I didn't get technical because my knowledge of it isn't very deep. As I got to thinking, I wondered if winnershcyclist is on a low-carb diet? That might account for low fuel tank and long recovery times.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BP, Here is a video that explains the ATP - CP system. Yes, there is ATP stored in muscles that lasts for about 2 seconds. After that the Creatine Phosphate stored in the muscles is used for the next 8 seconds to make ATP. The ATP CP system is free energy and does not generate fatigue per se. One has to be careful in saying that there is no fatigue because in reality, if I keep doing hard max efforts for 10 seconds, I will get very tired even with 3 minutes of rest.

So one can see how Creatine supplementation can be seductive - more available Creatine in the blood means faster recharge and more strength....maybe. However, like with most supplements, an adequate balanced diet may be all athletes need.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be prepared to drink copious amounts of water.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hermes. Not necessarily pre-anaerobic, just all-out effort.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creatine gave me more power and stamina.
    Last edited by CbadRider; 04-17-13 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Removed TMI that no one else really cares about.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnershcyclist View Post
    I have been using gels, SIS hydrate and energy and recovery powders and even though they help I found that I was still having aches and pains and low energy levels ,I do 12 hours a week of intensive gym work and with every spin class or kettle bells I was not getting stronger.
    I this weekend bought Creatine Monhydrate and tried for the first time on saturday and I do believe I have loads more energy couldnt sleep on the first day thats after having done a spring clean on the house next day I was up and worked 12 hours on deep cleansing the kitchen.

Has anyone else had experience of this I am not trying to build muscle definition at my age getting rid of belly be success however am liking the energy boost considering I only take 1 teaspoon a day (if you want muscle 5 a day) according to the reports Creatine is something produced naturally by the gall bladder and this is just boosting the levels.

I am on day three still havent managed to get on a long bike ride but do feel more energetic

BTW has zero taste
    I have now done a week on Creatine and this is my feedback I have found that you do dehydrate more as some one said, however I found I was definitely better in the gym didn't hit a block too early and didnt suffer aches and pains afterwards.

I dont know if its a placebo effect however I do at 53 feel more energetic and full of vitality.

I started on first day with 5 spoons as they suggested but now take two tea spoons a day one before and one after the gym.

I am using hydration powder but find I seem to drink a bottle in spin quicker than I used too

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    So, you're saying that it's used in the few seconds *before* going anaerobic? That sounds good. I didn't get technical because my knowledge of it isn't very deep. As I got to thinking, I wondered if winnershcyclist is on a low-carb diet? That might account for low fuel tank and long recovery times.
    I am not on any specific diet creatine definitely seems to be helping on both scores stamina and recovery

My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Gt Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 to drinking plenty of water. Creatine did give me strength and size gains when I was using it, but also this is when I had the most muscle injuries too. So stay hydrated! I decided not to use it any more because sure I would make good gains every time, but sure as anything I would eventually end up with an injury that set me way back.

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All sorts of scientific potions sound like there is potential for more harm than good. I just eat plain old food. I don't even eat Clif bars or the like.

I'm sure the high tech stuff works for some people in some situations, and I am sure there is real science behind it. For most of us, the difference might be marginal, and you have to be really educated to use it well.

Then again, most people don't know what a good diet is, either, so you have to be educated to eat well, too. I just try to use fresh, raw ingredients, and I cook for myself and my wife. Today, I mostly munched on nuts and dried fruit. I eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can every day. I even bake my own bread. I do eat eggs, fish, and a little meat, too. I don't count calories or nutrients or anything.

Then again, I don't do competitive sports, so top performance doesn't matter to me.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    All sorts of scientific potions sound like there is potential for more harm than good. I just eat plain old food. I don't even eat Clif bars or the like.

I'm sure the high tech stuff works for some people in some situations, and I am sure there is real science behind it. For most of us, the difference might be marginal, and you have to be really educated to use it well.

Then again, most people don't know what a good diet is, either, so you have to be educated to eat well, too. I just try to use fresh, raw ingredients, and I cook for myself and my wife. Today, I mostly munched on nuts and dried fruit. I eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can every day. I even bake my own bread. I do eat eggs, fish, and a little meat, too. I don't count calories or nutrients or anything.

Then again, I don't do competitive sports, so top performance doesn't matter to me.
    I too am not completive however do want to be able to do a ride etc not faster then any body except my last ride. I too have a good diet I try eating healthy also bake my own breads I eat very little red meat dont drink or smoke , I also think it depends on your work if you are blue collar you are active and fitter than IT based sit on desk types like me...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximushq2 View Post
    X2 to drinking plenty of water. Creatine did give me strength and size gains when I was using it, but also this is when I had the most muscle injuries too. So stay hydrated! I decided not to use it any more because sure I would make good gains every time, but sure as anything I would eventually end up with an injury that set me way back.
    at 50+ it is just being able to do a ride or gym and not getting aches and pains thats where it helps there is no chance of building muscle bulk

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Winner, it depends on more than that. Maybe I'm an exception, but I'm an IT worker, and my work has me sitting in a chair for too many hours, but I'm as active as I can be. And whenever I have to do something manually, I do it with as much vigor as possible. I visit clients on bike, and I do a lot of my shopping by bike. Today, I mowed my lawn with a reel mower. I had let it grow really tall, so I got a big workout doing this. In fact, it was so intense, I had to quit before it was completely done.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog