lucky I made it this far

feel helpless protecting my teen kids as they venture forth through life
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling.
    I am now paying for every minute of the same I put my parents through.
    Just be there to help them up when they fall.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a teen, there was only one pair of crazies doing stuff like filling light bulbs with gunpowder, etc. The internet has brought the gamut of depravity, as well as knowledge of our most sublime achievements into everyone's hands. And almost everyone is seemingly too busy to be able to correct their kids' moral compasses, let alone their own.
    I tremble about my 15-year-old, for too many good reasons.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think it lets up when they grow up either.

My youngest just turned 21 today, and I learned last night of he and his girlfriend's plans to go to Australia on a 1-year work visa after the GF graduates from university next year. My son is a welder and looking for places to get his certification as a commercial diver.

Ya think I'm not losing sleep over all of this??

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our kids are doing fine; our grandkids are doing fine; the great-grandkids are doing fine.
    We are doing fine.
    Life is what you make it.
    Have survived more stuff than most people: 4 years of starvation during the German occupation in Europe; serving in the Korean "police action." Missing a plane that crashed, killing 120 folks, including some friends.
    While these currrent tragedies seem horrific, they too will pass.
    Time heals many things, but the memories remain.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it into perspective -- the odds of you or one of your kids being the victim of a random act of terror is minuscule. I would worry much more about falls, traffic collisions, etc. -- the everyday stuff.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...or falling off a ladder or slipping in the bathtub.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    When I was a teen, there was only one pair of crazies doing stuff like filling light bulbs with gunpowder, etc. The internet has brought the gamut of depravity, as well as knowledge of our most sublime achievements into everyone's hands. And almost everyone is seemingly too busy to be able to correct their kids' moral compasses, let alone their own.
    I tremble about my 15-year-old, for too many good reasons.
    Oh my. We used to take match heads, put them in a glass bottle with a light filament from a broken light bulb, run wires from the filament some distance away. BOOM! The little match heads flying all over the place made for quite the spectacle.

I have two kids. The daughter is a carbon copy of yours truly. Works hard and plays hard. Likes adventure, but not into taking stupid risks. The son? Well, he learns a lot the hard way. If I had it to do over, I'd have tried to teach him less and let him fail more. It seems that how he learns best. He's off to college this year, so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Our kids are doing fine; our grandkids are doing fine; the great-grandkids are doing fine.
    We are doing fine.
    Life is what you make it.
    Have survived more stuff than most people: 4 years of starvation during the German occupation in Europe; serving in the Korean "police action." Missing a plane that crashed, killing 120 folks, including some friends.
    While these currrent tragedies seem horrific, they too will pass.
    Time heals many things, but the memories remain.
    Great post. The fullest life is not always the most comfortable or easy life ... it's the one with the most interesting story to tell.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Novara Forza, 09 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for loooong rides
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pray for my two kids and their families each day and just have to trust God to protect them. My biggest concern is my son and his wife are deep in CC debt and charge whatever they wnat. I tell them all the time no one working for a living can afford 18%-33% interest on a CC. I also tell him to teach his kids how to trust God because they are facing things in this world that you and I never faced. My daughter on the other hand watches what she spends and is paying off her CC's. She takes her two boys to a good church so I know they are being raised right. When I look at some of the stupid things I did in Viet Nam I'm glad I had parents who were praying for me.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biker395 wrote:

"The fullest life is not always the most comfortable or easy life ... it's the one with the most interesting story to tell."

Great comment. I'd add that the fullest life isn't always the longest, either.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My older son spent 7 weeks last summer in northern Nigeria on an internship (he was 21 at the time). He traveled to and from Nigeria on his own. A few weeks into his internship, he and his guide were held in Niger for 4 days by the authorities. He had to wait for a magistrate to be summoned to review the case. It was dismissed and they were released (it was a minor traffic issue and my son was only a passenger, they just aren't keen on Americans in some places). Younger son (now 20) will be in Ecuador interning for 9 weeks this summer. The two of them have traveled around Europe together and have been to Central America together. My wife and I are very proud of the men our sons are becomming. We pray for them and trust God is in control which brings us increadible peace.