Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Are All Our Bostonians Doing ?

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nightmare!!! I can't even imagine the horror.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way to make sense of such a senseless act. Thoughts and prayers with the victims and their families.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Are All Our Bostonians Doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    +1, Miss K' I hope we hear from Jim in Boston and shortly.
    Thanks to all for these concerns and condolences. The Boston Marathon is such a unique and joyous occasion ushering in the springtime. That Monday is Patriotís Day, a state holiday commemorating the Battles of Lexington and Concord that sparked the American Revolution, so many people are off work and school.

We live on the route at the last mile and every Sunday before the race my children and I just meander the streets near the finish line enjoying the ambiance. Thousands of runners in that crowd are easily recognized by their leanness, Boston Athletic Association jackets, slim blue jeans and that determined look as they enjoy the City. On Race Day, particularly on that last mile, the streets are mobbed.

So the events today are so incongruous with the history of the Marathon, and probably do resonate more with the historical precedents of those times that tried menís souls. Indeed, was that a message intended by this act?

For myself, Iíve been pasted to the radio and TV ever since the early reports. Like one talk show host intimated early on, the initial reports to me sounded like an accidental explosion in a utlity line, that has happened before, until the deliberate nature became clear. It took a while to contact the family because cell phone service had been shut down for fear of a possible cell phone-activated IED. Itís still considered a fluid investigation as described by the authorities, so stay tuned.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While my heart breaks for the city of Boston, I am very relieved to hear you and your family are safe, Jim.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guy in my boxing forum is from Boston and was about three blocks away from the finish line when it went down. He said it was pure chaos and they didn't get out of downtown for a couple of hours.

Looks to be homemade stuff since I hear they're finding buckshot scattered at the scene. Probably just some screwball. Luckily we don't live in Iraq where this happens on a much more serious scale on pretty much a weekly basis.....33 dead (so far) there from bomb blasts just today.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just crazy stuff....what the heck is wrong with people? Prayers and thoughts from Texas.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes to the people of Boston, which is one of my favorite cities to visit.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    oNE OF MY p&r guys apparently works in a building one of the bombs went off outside of. Happily, he wasn't hurt. He was a bit freaked, I know, and angry, for certain.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. ďHe who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Ē- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many thoughts in my head to make a sensible reply over this mindless act but my thoughts are with all those affected by this.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son was about a mile and a half from the explosions. He was at the finish line earlier in the day. Needless to say, both of us are shaken up. I was driving to work when I heard about it on the radio. I knew my son was in Boston for the marathon, it's a tradition for him and a couple of his pals. I about had a heart attack when I heard about it. Still trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts go out to all in Boston.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost a loved one or are dealing with physical and/or emotional injuries. Unfortunately, this is likely not a mindless act. It was likely done with deliberation and malice. How someone can hold that much malice and hate is well beyond my ability to comprehend. Patriot's day and the Boston Marathon have taken a hit that's going to be very hard to recover from. But, recover is what must happen, or those spewing hate will have won.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes to all Bostonians. This was an unbelievable and horrific end to a normally great event on a great day in a great city.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The guy from Boston in my boxing forum said his friend's coworker lost both legs in this.

He works downtown and said this: "The Boston Common looks like its being used as a tactical command post. Plenty of armoured trucks and military vehicles down here. Pretty surreal.. "

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    It was likely done with deliberation and malice. How someone can hold that much malice and hate is well beyond my ability to comprehend.
    Insightful comments, I guess. We're old enough to remember the Holocost. This kind of thing shouldn't be too surprising. What is surprising, frankly, is that it doesn't happen more often.

We have the Kentucky Derby and the Derby Festival, which includes a minimarathon that attracts 15,000 runners, coming up. People are pretty nervous. They will go as scheduled but we all realize that in the big scheme of things we're pretty soft targets.

What is truly contemptible is the rush of certain political groups to score cheap political shots at the expense of the people who lived through yesterday's horror.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 04-16-13 at 02:01 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Present and accounted for.

I watched some of the race, then headed off on a ride. I knew nothing of this tragedy until returning to my apt. at about 6 PM. Turned on the tv and... What the ....???
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 'eye for an eye' is awfully hard on the eyes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Present and accounted for.

I watched some of the race, then headed off on a ride. I knew nothing of this tragedy until returning to my apt. at about 6 PM. Turned on the tv and... What the ....???
    Glad to hear from you, trackhub.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having finished many marathons, I can imagine how the runners felt. When you get close to the finish, especially in a marathon like Boston where everyone is a fast marathoner just because they qualified to enter, you are exhausted and low on energy. It's like a cycling bonk. You are irritable, can't think straight, and generally a little confused and disorientated. To have a bomb go off nearby with people screaming and running around just adds to the mental mess.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am terribly saddened by this evil act. What surprises me is how angry I am. I am generally opposed to the death penalty for a variety of reasons. But, I want whoever did this hanged in public.

My Bikes
    2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Marathon ride with a group of riders ( http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298761673 ). Basically we start at the finish in Boston, ride to the start line in Hopkinton, and then back to Boston. It was a great day for a marathon as the weather was clear but cool. When we had finished we hung around at the finish for a while to just take in the atmosphere of the race finish line. It was still early as we had to be off the roads well in advance of the 9:30 start. We were not that far from where the first bomb went off!

I am a runner first, and cyclist second so I was at first enraged that this could happen. That changed very quickly for me once I saw the tragedy unfold and the extent of the injuries became clear. I then became quite saddened, for the victims, the Marathon, and the runners. Running and cycling tend to be a somewhat selfish sport in that we typically spend our training time away from our families. Despite that family members were there to cheer on and support the runners. They were there to recognize their accomplishment, to applaud their perseverance, and to show that they understand their desire to compete.

My heart goes out to all the victims of this tragic event.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I was working from home yesterday, I had some free time in the morning bike ride, and the most appropriate activity I could think of was a marathon-length ride on my now-classic made-in-USA Schwinn red-white-and-blue mountain bike, which I bought used from a San Diego firefighter. The Boston bombing hit me hard emotionally, and I needed a good dose of endorphins.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP for those who lost their lives. May those injured recover as well as possible. Thoughts to all who were involved in any way.

Rhetorical question (no P&R); why are so many humans intent on killing or injuring other humans? Last Friday, just over a mile from our house, a homeless man poured a flammable liquid on a man sitting in his car in a parking lot and lit the fluid. The victim of the attack only survived for a few days. My head is fairly scrambled these days, but continuing to push for the positive.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast