Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one?

I don't have a goal of doing a century or riding my age - I just like riding my bike. I ride to work which is only about 3 miles. The farthest I've been from home is 10 miles. Riding any farther is work.
    Trek 7.5 FX

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nichols View Post
    I don't have a goal of doing a century or riding my age - I just like riding my bike. I ride to work which is only about 3 miles. The farthest I've been from home is 10 miles. Riding any farther is work.
    You are not alone, even here. I have riden my age but not a century and have no interest in doing so. My wife and I typically ride 25-30 miles, often with a mid-way stop for lunch or breakfast. We ride for fun, not with specific training goals in mind.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donheff is correct. There are those who are not goal oriented in terms of miles, centuries, races, etc. I do have two goals: 1. Ride as often as I can. 2. Have fun while riding.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's much more important to enjoy cycling than it is to reach goals like riding a century (or your age). If what you're doing makes you happy, keep doing that.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, on this forum you are in the majority. Now HTFU.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy riding but also like to use it to keep the fitness that I have.

Used to do the harder rides in my Youth but about 6 years ago decided that at 60- I had done enough. Rides now may be up to 60 miles but prefer just to use the bike to pop down to my favourite cafe for Coffee and cake- or bun- or Pie and that is around 20 miles or so. Given up riding with others as I prefer to do it at my pace and enjoy the ride.

But there are still those Metric centuries and 100 milers that I enjoy doing- Providing I have got enough Pie rides in to be fit for them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you enjoy what you are doing, you have reached your goal.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    If you enjoy what you are doing, you have reached your goal.
    +1
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am I the only one?

Too type A here. I'd do the PBP if ihad the time to train for it.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was me when I started five years ago. Now I have such goals, one is to ride my first C on my birthday in October. Nothing wrong with either philosophy, IMO. Wife thinks I’m nuts, but I just tell her to be glad my mid life crises has me buying $2k bikes, and not a $60k Corvette.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a goal, but I achieved that goal as soon as I started riding my bicycle again. Now I don't have goals, so much as I have desires. I want to go new places and see new things on my bicycle, while listening to the birds and the frogs and the brood 2 cicadas, and listening to the breeze through the trees, and seeing the sun burst through the clouds along the Mississippi...

The bicycle is my ticket to adventure, and to that peaceful easy feeling one get's, being close to nature and the great outdoors.

My Bikes
    1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a casual rider, too. I prefer flat ground and a tailwind. An easy 20MPH! I no longer care if riders pass me.
    1988 Peugeot PY-10/P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamondback "Response Elite" MTB, 2002 Performance M201 MTB and a 1983 SR road bike that has become my favorite ride. At least for now.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I just tell her to be glad my mid life crises has me buying $2k bikes, and not a $60k Corvette.
    I'm too old to have a mid-life crisis.

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age. It was easy. Of course, I was 12 at the time.

Anyway, Bob, you're not the only one. I do a lot of mileage, but it's all just for fun -- no epic voyages. I do most of my grocery shopping on the bike, and shop at stores in neighboring towns when I have the time, just for the enjoyment of riding. I often spend a whole day just meandering around on my bike. I don't have a computer so I don't keep track of distance, speed etc.
    My immediate goal is to ride to my fishing cabin, about 30 miles away, and spend the night or the weekend. If I feel like it and the weather's good, I'll ride back. Otherwise, I'll hitch a ride in the family van.
    You can benefit greatly just by riding as often as you can, with or without grand ambitions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also just like to ride my bikes. However, I have always made enough time to ride that I often find myself doing self-supported double centuries. I don't worry about power or speed, but I do enjoy the ride more when I ride near my limit. (I accepted the fact that that limit is a lot slower now than it was in my youth, but it feels just as wonderful.) There's just something magical about suddenly realizing you are many miles away from the last place you were paying attention.

Every ride is joyous. Now make me drive a car, and that is what I consider to be unpleasant work.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you are in the majority Bob. But I think you miss the idea that many of us started just where you are. Just as many are still just where you are. But it is a process as much as an attitude. What happens during that process is some people discover they enjoy riding more than they thought they would. Some discover they can ride farther than they thought and they enjoyed it. Some find they can climb hills they never thought they could and it gave them a sense of accomplishment. (I hate hills but they are between me and where I want to go.) And then there is the group mentality. I don't do that many centuries but I would have to miss Palm Springs and the carnival attitude of 9500 other cyclists. (Picture a day when you do your commute and the majority of your fellow commuters are cyclists.) It has gotten to the point where I enjoy riding my bicycle about as much as I do anything else. To the point that I have started planning vacations that will also allow me to take my Bike. But cycling is like anything else. You can use you bike a little or use it a lot. The majority use it a little and that doesn't diminish their position as a cyclist.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, you have tons of company.

What some people lack in common sense they make up for with enthusiasm. This is an enthusiast forum.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Actually, on this forum you are in the majority. Now HTFU.
    I always suspected I was a minority. I just didn't know how.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride only as long/far/much as it remains fun.
    THen , pie.
    I'm not pokey, but I'm certainly not speedy... sorta half-fast, I guess...

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoman View Post
    Ride only as long/far/much as it remains fun.
    THen , pie.
    You have to be careful with comments like that.

I used to manage the finish line for a large triathalon. As soon as the event was over every year, the fellow who coordinated the whole event would fly off somewhere and ride his bike until it stopped being fun. One such trip started in Anchorage and ended up in Key West. Another started somewhere in Florida and ended in San Diego - by way of Canada.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you are not the only one. I just like to get on and ride. I like nothing better than a ride of about 20 miles, at my own pace, on a sultry summer evening. I do not use a computer, I ride steel, and I use toe clips. For some odd reason, this seems to drive a lot of people totally Bat Guano. So be it. So, in short, you feel like one of the last humans in "invasion of the body snatchers", right? You know the scenes when the last humans are running away, and run into a large group of the pod people, and they point and to do that
    unearthly shriek. Yeah, not being part of the crowd is kind of like that.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    No, you are not the only one. I just like to get on and ride. I like nothing better than a ride of about 20 miles, at my own pace, on a sultry summer evening. I do not use a computer, I ride steel, and I use toe clips. For some odd reason, this seems to drive a lot of people totally Bat Guano. So be it. So, in short, you feel like one of the last humans in "invasion of the body snatchers", right? You know the scenes when the last humans are running away, and run into a large group of the pod people, and they point and to do that
    unearthly shriek. Yeah, not being part of the crowd is kind of like that.
    I have no idea why you feel that way.

This weekend I took note of all the cyclists who zipped by me. Many were riding flat bar bikes, wearing tennis shoes and toe clips. If I wanted to rag on them, I would have had to speed up to catch them, and I didn't feel up to it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You have to be careful with comments like that.

I used to manage the finish line for a large triathalon. As soon as the event was over every year, the fellow who coordinated the whole event would fly off somewhere and ride his bike until it stopped being fun. One such trip started in Anchorage and ended up in Key West. Another started somewhere in Florida and ended in San Diego - by way of Canada.
    Some guy named.... Retro ???? Hmm ?????
    I'm not pokey, but I'm certainly not speedy... sorta half-fast, I guess...

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I have to backtrack a little here, after some thought while I was riding this afternoon, I do have a goal. It is selfish, but I won't apologize for having it. My goal is to have creatine numbers that are not worse than what got me diagnosed as Stage 3B. Riding as my exercise has gotten me a long ways since last July, I owe 50+ Forum and my bike a whole lot, I'll pay y'all later if that's okay with everyone. I have stuck to my diet, religiously with the help and support of my lovely wife and 50+ has kept me riding the same way, thanks all!! so no century or riding my age, although that will probably happen with my daughter.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Okay, I have to backtrack a little here, after some thought while I was riding this afternoon, I do have a goal. It is selfish, but I won't apologize for having it. My goal is to have creatine numbers that are not worse than what got me diagnosed as Stage 3B. Riding as my exercise has gotten me a long ways since last July, I owe 50+ Forum and my bike a whole lot, I'll pay y'all later if that's okay with everyone. I have stuck to my diet, religiously with the help and support of my lovely wife and 50+ has kept me riding the same way, thanks all!! so no century or riding my age, although that will probably happen with my daughter.

Bill
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast