Thread: Road Schmutz

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Had to laugh at this one. My husband, son, and I commute along Rte. 76 in Philadelphia and have a slow passage to our exit. This gives me lots of time to observe the side of the highway. Just yesterday, I commented on how many bungie cords were on the side of the road! We counted six in less than a half mile strip. I told my son that the lesson learned is, don't count on bungie cords to secure your valuables--apparently, they fall off!
    You mean these4403.jpg, or these?bngeereg.jpg

I see those black rubber ones all over the place on the roads around here.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Sunday I had the opposite experience.

Since I ride recumbents it's easy to lose things out of my pants pockets. Sunday it was my cell phone. The woman who found it started calling my contacts until she could get in touch with me. She wouldn't accept a reward for returning my phone to me either. Nice lady.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    I don't even want to know the story behind this one.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corn.

Trucks hauling corn are always over loaded. Loaded some ears in the panniers for dinner.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    Corn.

Trucks hauling corn are always over loaded. Loaded some ears in the panniers for dinner.
    You sure you didn't step over the fence and pull those off the stalk?

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    The last one I saw was a 2' long snapping turtle. He made it quite clear that he wasn't interested in my help.
    Me too - almost got me before I realized what I was trying to pick up. You can carry them safely by their big beefy tails and get them safely on their way, but hold 'em at arms length - it's amazing how long their necks are!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The neatest find on the road was 305 pennies scattered through an intersection. Early Saturday morning, no traffic so I picked them up. Other than that the usual tools and $10 bills. Found a Tag Huer watch once. It worked, but not for long.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I don't even want to know the story behind this one.
    bb-0027.jpg
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

fueled by chocolate milk Fishmonger's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found some gloves this morning - those cheap cotton stretchy ones, but they're in good shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Last ride.

He was going to cross 7 lanes of 45 mph traffic.

Attachment 311335
    Was he trying to follow the chicken across?

Aside from the usual mix of tools, I have found some decent tarps and bandanas. The problem is that two of my three road bikes don't have a rack on them or even a way to attach a rack. Therefore the only road finds that I can cart home are things I can fit in my jersey pockets.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most unusual thing I've found is what appears to be a Rolex watch. No kidding. It was missing the crown, but otherwise, looked genuine and in good shape. It was still ticking when I picked it up and appeared to have a flywheel (non-quartz) movement.

I tried contacting Rolex to return it to the owner (it had a serial number on it), but they were uncooperative, so it still sits in a drawer somewhere.

I'd get it repaired and wear it, but I'm a $20 Casio kinda guy.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    I've helped two snapping turtles across the road (you have to hold them out by the tail, keeping an eye on their mouth).
    You can give them a stick and they will bite that and hold on as only a snapper can, making a nice carrying handle. Much safer than the tail route. Just make sure the stick is strong enough the jaws don't break it.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    You mean these4403.jpg, or these?bngeereg.jpg

I see those black rubber ones all over the place on the roads around here.
    The black ones, always the black ones.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things that we find on the roads are "road kills" to me.

Lots of bungee cords and tools such as a great monkey ranch, pliers etc. I also found a very nice big knife.

I usually stash them behind a bush and make a mental note and come back latter with the car!

Once I found a hub cap that did fit my wife's car--could have been hers for all I know! (but it was not)

I did also find two VCR tapes (back in the days) of raunchy or x-rated subject matter--yes I did watch them but found them very boring after a couple of minutes!

Unfortunately too often are dead animals hence "road kills" dear, raccoons, skunks, plenty of squirrels (they have death wishes)although sometimes I see them elongated and you can tell the driver was trying to avoid it by braking hard and locking wheels on the poor thing!

The saddest was a beautiful coyote that I had to move into the bushes--he was gorgeous and did not deserve that kind of death!

Two threads with the same subject with a different name for "Road kill"
    Last edited by VNA; 04-25-13 at 08:22 PM.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a iPhone the other day. It had a cracked screen, but turned on. I'd have tried to fine the owner, but the screen that came up was the one you get with a new phone, so there is no contact info or anything.
    I wonder if it's worth anything?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    The most unusual thing I've found is what appears to be a Rolex watch. No kidding. It was missing the crown, but otherwise, looked genuine and in good shape. It was still ticking when I picked it up and appeared to have a flywheel (non-quartz) movement.

I tried contacting Rolex to return it to the owner (it had a serial number on it), but they were uncooperative, so it still sits in a drawer somewhere.

I'd get it repaired and wear it, but I'm a $20 Casio kinda guy.
    You can usually tell if it's a real Rolex by how smooth the second hand moves. A Rolex second hand moves continuously, not in 1-second jumps. This is something my gf told me; she owns a real Rolex.

And as for that TAG Heuer mentioned previously, if it stopped working that shortly, it was likely a fake. You can usually spot the fakes by just leaving them to sit there. after a couple of weeks, the "stainless" case starts to get pitted. Also, the real Heuers usually have locking crowns (you can screw them down).

Me, I'm just a Swiss Army watch kinda guy. Like most 60+ guys, I was raised in an age where all watches were analog, so I can tell what time it is just with a short glance at a watch face. Digital takes me longer to comprehend, I have to visualize what the time looks like on a real face!

Luis

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    You can usually tell if it's a real Rolex by how smooth the second hand moves. A Rolex second hand moves continuously, not in 1-second jumps. This is something my gf told me; she owns a real Rolex.

Luis
    That's true of any Swiss type movement watch but some Rolex copies have those kinds of self winding movements but Chinese or something instead of Swiss and without the ruby bushings and long lasting parts in the movement.

Quartz watches keep better time than any Swiss type movement watch anyway. The high dollar Swiss ones are status show things like jewelry.
    Last edited by Zinger; 04-26-13 at 11:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe this slipped my mind. While doing the Tour de Cure: Hampton Roads Century, I passed a loveseat sitting on the side of the road...yes, an actual loveseat. I just happened to have a group of riders around me and I shout, "Quick!, someone put a trailer on their bike and we can haul that loveseat!"
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling along and I ran over some Shrapnel. Nott the bomb kind--A pile of those small coins that collect in your pocket and just weigh you down till you count it and realise how much you have. There was lots of it so scooped up as much as I could into the pockets of my jersey and eventually got home with over 10 worth of pennies. That is 1,000 coins and I can assure you that I left more than I took. Surprising thing was that they were in one big pile as though they had been dumped and not littered over the road if they fell out of a car.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found these about 2 miles from home. There were a few broken ones and a small smashed box. I carefully carried them in my left hand.

oldschool areodynamic brick

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This report is kinda fishy!

God find, I like fishing stuff!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as he saw them, he was hooked! At least he found them before his tires (or tyres, for those trans-atlantic-types) did. It would be a pain, picking those things out of the sidewalls.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A full set of Husky branded hex wrenches in their hard case. Tragedy...they're SAE. Doh...

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must ride with my eyes closed because I never see anything worth picking up. Just a week ago I went for a ride with my brother - at the end of the ride he tells me that he saw various tools, a bike chain and other things on the road. Either he was dreaming or I was riding with my eyes closed - or at least not looking down at the pavement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast