Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Bike for my dad.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Bike for my dad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 06:26 PM

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Bike for my dad.

Hello,
My dad is about 63 years old. He has diabeties, and it's effecting his nerve system. My sister and I talked to him and he seemed interested in doing the Tour De Cure (5 mile ride) with her this year. He needs a bike. What kind of bike should I reccomened for him? He will probably only want to spend a couple hundred on one tops.
Thanks,
-Jonathan
Old 04-13-13, 06:57 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would look toward an upright oriented road/hybrid design. For someone looking to start riding later in life with nerve issues a fully bent position would pose potential issues either in back or wrists. The good news is that category tends to be fairly low cost/good bang for buck. As far as what model to look for, that depends mainly on what your local selection is. Most shops will have a few to look at to get an idea in person what it feels like.
Old 04-13-13, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Yep. Something like an Electra Townie.

Old 04-14-13, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks guys. My family is pretty spread out. Last week we were all together for my sister's wedding. It'll have to be him and my mom going to look at bikes, as I live 900 miles away. I'll let him know though. Thanks
Old 04-14-13, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by insylem
. . . . It'll have to be him and my mom going to look at bikes, as I live 900 miles away . . .
A friend's busy son recently traveled about 1900 round trip miles to provide marginally useful assistance in making a choice. Based on my friend's response, each of those miles was well worth it. I sure do wish I'd made more frequent trips to see him when my own father was alive.
Old 04-14-13, 11:59 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Given your father's price-point, you need to make sure he avoids the big box stores and falls prey to one of those shiny bicycle shaped objects that they have. Bicycle stores are a bit more expensive, and their low-end bikes may strain what he perceives as his budget. But his perceived needs may not be accurate.

Where is the Tour that your father will be riding? I looked and the Tours near Enterprise do not have a 5 mile route. His location will affect his access to bicycles.

A couple of suggestions, perhaps he should rent a bike before buying, so he can get some real understanding of bikes, and since he's looking at a 5 mile ride, its possible that renting a bike for the ride itself might also be an option, and then he buys one when he's amped on how much fun he can have.

Since it sounds like your sister will be his ride leader, hopefully, she can be the point contact on bike purchase/renting.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-14-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 12:06 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget a helmet. A new rider with nervous system problems may fall and not recover well from a head knock.
Old 04-14-13, 01:15 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If he's having any issues with balance, a trike is definitely worth considering. Cheap new trikes start at around $250 (although I'd be worried about quality at that price). Used would be another way to go.
Old 04-15-13, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
If he's having any issues with balance, a trike is definitely worth considering. Cheap new trikes start at around $250 (although I'd be worried about quality at that price). Used would be another way to go.

My sister and I talked last night about it. She said he would probably do better on a trike as well. She worries about his neropathy caused my diabetes makeing mounting and dismounting for him difficult and prone to falling. My sister lives in Waukasha Wisconsin and if we can convince him to ride, he would be riding there. (Near Milwaukee, WI) We both think it would be great for him. As it is he doesnt get much excersize, and I know that excersize is important in fighting diabetes. She said that the support and people there at the ride are amazing. He would be a "red rider" so they would have people around to make sure he got his insulin and what not. He would also have other people he could converse with.

But the question is where does one get a Trike? I looked on the websites for some of the bike shops in the area, and coulnd't find any. I'm not sure what his budge it, but renting sounds like a great idea.

I just saw him last week for my sister's wedding in Orlando. Going to see him again in October, for my other sister's wedding. I sent my resume to a place up in Wiscinson to try to be closer to family but haven't heard either way from that.
Old 04-15-13, 01:52 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by insylem
My sister and I talked last night about it. She said he would probably do better on a trike as well. She worries about his neropathy caused my diabetes makeing mounting and dismounting for him difficult and prone to falling. My sister lives in Waukasha Wisconsin and if we can convince him to ride, he would be riding there. (Near Milwaukee, WI) We both think it would be great for him. As it is he doesnt get much excersize, and I know that excersize is important in fighting diabetes. She said that the support and people there at the ride are amazing. He would be a "red rider" so they would have people around to make sure he got his insulin and what not. He would also have other people he could converse with.

But the question is where does one get a Trike? I looked on the websites for some of the bike shops in the area, and coulnd't find any. I'm not sure what his budge it, but renting sounds like a great idea.

I just saw him last week for my sister's wedding in Orlando. Going to see him again in October, for my other sister's wedding. I sent my resume to a place up in Wiscinson to try to be closer to family but haven't heard either way from that.
I am not a trike expert at all, but...

0) Walmart sells trikes starting at $200. I have no idea how good these are (and would generally recommend people stay away from Walmart bikes), but it's something. You will probably need somebody who knows how to put it together, but I believe you do have some amount of time to decide you don't want it and return it as well...

1) Workman trikes start at $370.

2) Terratrike sells a real, single speed trike starting at $700.

3) Used trikes would probably be the way to go, but can be harder to find. Looking at the classifieds at Bent Rider Online would be a good start.

I don't know the budget or the plans (is it just for one ride or will he (hopefully) keep it going). I do know that getting regular exercise like this can make a huge difference in somebody who is diabetic and sedentary, so it may be worth spending more than you originally planned.

I hope this helps,
Charles
Old 04-15-13, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of good hybrid/comfort type bikes available. Take him to a good shop and get him set up. Good luck!
Old 04-17-13, 09:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
. I do know that getting regular exercise like this can make a huge difference in somebody who is diabetic and sedentary, so it may be worth spending more than you originally planned.

I hope this helps,
Charles

Yes it does Thanks Charles,
And the above quote is my main concern really. I would hope that we can encourage him to get going and keep going. I remember I used to have a trike when I had a paperoute when I was younger. It worked great for delivinger papers becuase it had a basket in the back. My sister said if he got something like that he could put my parent's dog in it. (Totsy is a Rat Terrier) I'm sure she would love it too. My mother doesn't work but only a half mile from home, so maybe she can get one two and he can escoret her to/ from work on nice days. Even if they end up walking instead.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
-Jonathan