Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 'Old Farts' like me that,,,,

Want to get stronger and don't have the time to do century rides and spend time risking your life in traffic...
    For those of us who still work full time and hate the boring gym life, for those of us who like to be out there.

I found something fun and very intense.
    I'm not gonna describe the levee near New Tampa in detail but lets just say It's rather large with a very steep grade to the top and a shale road up there.

I got a Mountain bike, a 29er HT,,,google one, anyways I spent the better part of two hours riding Up and down the levee at various attack angles.
    From the base to the road at the top was a real hard 1st and second gear leg blast and the ride back down to the bottom was fast and a challenge, considering
    you need to be out of the seat, leaned back, heels down and In a tuck so you don't do a Flying W over the bars.

My Point to all this, I am getting stronger at a much faster rate riding in the dirt, It Is ALOT harder, I love it so....

Anybody else into this type of thing ? Penny for your thoughts,,,
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Jensen, Davidson, Colin Laing, Ciocc, Dave Scott Master Ironman, Centurion Semi-Pro, Eddy's Corsa Extra, Kona Lava, Alpine Designs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 62 I have to use care and consistency in my exercise. I found when I am short on time or weather is far from ideal one of my old MTBs is ideal for hills near us, 20 min up there and I have my heart rate where I want it and still having fun. Greatly prefer 20 mi on open roads on a nice day but can't beat the hills when i need to get a fast workout in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there are a few of us more aggressive MTB riders on this forum. It does wonders for cardio, strength and bike handling. All benefit road cycling.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my MTB

But, in contribution to the topic......it's a butt kickin' workout. Mountain biking is king in our area. We are small-town rural area with gobs of trails but I'm too much the roadie.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy the occasional romp through the woods on my On-One single speed 26er...

train safe-

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Osco listens, nods, D
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on finding a hill in FL. I have lots of hills, and am not afraid of traffic.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.