User Tag List

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Guys at Bike Shop

Haven't posted in a while. Turns out I'm busier now that I'm retired! I got a job at an LBS three days a week and I'm really enjoying it. Getting better at it, too.

I went to the Bay Area in California in March and biked through the Napa Valley the second day. Very nice. I borrowed a friend's bike, though, and I got a flat. I had brought my own saddle, pedals, and even my CO2 pump. Unfortunately, the pump didn't fit Schrader's and I didn't have a spare tube anyway. So I called my friends to tell them I'd meet them at the winery after all. I didn't reach them, so I walked. A mile or so up the road, a guy in a van pulled up the road and walked back. He asked if he could help and I said if he could take me to a bike shop that would be nice. He said "OK" and off we went. Turns out he was involved in a local bike club and his daughter used to own the bike shop he was taking me to. His name was Deiter, and he went into the shop, the Calistoga Bikeshop, which was about 8 or so miles up the road, and told them to take good care of me. He took off for parts unknown. After the shop repaired my tire and we settled up (always bring your credit card along), I realized I didn't have my Endura bike gloves, which were about 60 bucks. I did a quick glance and didn't see them. I figured they were someplace in the shop, or I had left them in Deiter's van, or someone swiped them (I had left my helmet out in front of the shop). I had to get going though, since I wanted to get back to my friends by 6.

I called the shop the next day and told them what happened. They looked around the shop, but no luck. I gave them my home address and my cell number and asked them to call me if Deiter happened to bring them back. I told them I'd give them my credit card info for shipping costs, since I was staying about an hour or so from there and didn't plan on getting back before I left.

I didn't hear anything, and I figured the gloves were gone. I had a great ride that day, in beautiful country, so even though I wasn't happy about it...oh, well. I made another call to the shop the day before I left and they still hadn't gotten any gloves back, but the guy I talked to was going to see Deiter at a meeting that day. So, I left my number and address again.

About a week after I got home, I opened my mailbox and there was a package with my gloves! No charge from the shop. I sent a thank you card, along with a check to cover shipping. What a nice thing for everyone there to have done.

So, if you're in the Napa Valley, go to Calistoga Bikeshop. Nice folks, nice clean shop, good prices.

And if anyone there knows Deiter, many thanks to him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't tell me you went to Napa and didn't ride up Oakville grade. It's short, but all sorts of fun, especially with a fully loaded touring bike.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good LBS: Priceless
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/