Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheaha Century Challenge Results

Very nice ride today out of Piedmont Alabama which is about 20 miles north of Anniston. The weekend includes a street festival, Crits and other cycling events on Saturday in Anniston.

This is the 4th year I've done Cheaha I think-although I hadn't done it in a couple years. The ride is about a 6 hour drive from my house so it's a commitment to do it. But my cousin lives within an hour of there so I stopped by to see family on Saturday and had a great visit catching up.

Nice day to ride today although a tad cool to start--probably low to mid 40's but warmed up to the low 70's at the finish. I put on a vest, arm warmers, light long fingered gloves and knee warmers and after about 30 minutes I wish I didn't have on the vest and knee warmers. It was a strategic mistake as I wound up wasting a few minutes at my one stop to get them off.

The route is unique as it is a true out and back. It is about 51 miles out to the turnaround and then you come back the same roads. There is not much climbing in the first 23 miles but there is a good bit in the 30 miles going out and those same 30 miles coming back. In fact I recorded 7600' of climbing over that 54 mile stretch. And while the climbs are not terribly long some are pretty darn steep. Needless to say I really enjoyed my 32 gear today.

I was in great position the first 23 miles. In fact I stayed with the front group of about 40 and we did that stretch in just under 24 mph. I was probably the 2nd or 3rd slowest climber of that group but I knew that would be the case. I made one stop at the halfway point and took off unwanted clothes, refilled bottles and grabbed a banana. I wound up eating two bananas for the day and drinking about 3 bottles of fluids.

With the out and back you get to see where you stand with the others as you can see them on course. I think I figured out that the lead riders were about 5 miles ahead of me at my 47 mile mark. So they had put about 5 miles on me in about 25 miles. That is very humbling but while I can climb I am a slow steady climber, especially on grades above 10%......and getting slower...

My riding time was 5 hr 59 mins so I guess my total time was a little over 6 hours. The fastest I've done that route was 5hr 45 mins. I was on pace to finish faster today but you have to have a group in that last 25 miles to make any time-especially today with a swirling wind. The only riders I saw the last 25 miles were those I passed so I lost some really valuable time on that stretch.

I was hoping to break 6 hours so pretty close. Now I just hope for a top 50 finish.

Long 6 hour drive back home afterwards. Driving through Atlanta after doing a pretty tough ride and feeling drowsy was no picnic............Glad I did it as it was a barometer of my fitness and progress. It was also really great to spend some time with my cousins.

Here is a link to photos in the Anniston Star:

http://www.consolpub.com/slideshows/as/20130421cheaha/
    Last edited by jppe; 04-22-13 at 08:27 AM.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 bananas, 1 PB&Js, assorted cookies, 2 bottles of Gatorade, 2 bottles of water. 6:33

My Bikes
    2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nicely done fellows. However, I went on a training ride yesterday of 100km (62mi) and drank and ate more than you and still nearly bonked. I am surprised you ate and drank so little (compared with what I did and would need to do 100mi).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Wow, nicely done fellows. However, I went on a training ride yesterday of 100km (62mi) and drank and ate more than you and still nearly bonked. I am surprised you ate and drank so little (compared with what I did and would need to do 100mi).
    The more fit one is, the better your body can access fat stores for energy. Riders like jppe that do a century or more every weekend become very efficient at using fat and glycogen, well into the higher aerobic zones. Less trained riders can't process their stored energy as well and rely more on carbs eaten during the ride. I bet though once the ride is over jppe eats pretty well to recover what he used.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I bet though once the ride is over jppe eats pretty well to recover what he used.
    You got that right!! I can eat a nice meal and two hours later I'm ready to eat again.......

Saw the final results and I finished 50th so at least I made that goal......
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember looking out at the area surrounding Piedmont when I rode through on the Chief Ladiga Trail and thinking it would be much more interesting than the flat trail.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I remember looking out at the area surrounding Piedmont when I rode through on the Chief Ladiga Trail and thinking it would be much more interesting than the flat trail.
    Agree. I drove over the trail on the outskirts of Piedmont going to the start......the 30 mile stretch of the route we did in Cheaha is nice. There isn't very much flat at all---either up or down. However once you get out of Cheaha there don't seem to be as many hills in that area.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report Jppe, that is a beautiful area for riding. Glad that you enjoyed your ride and liked your results too.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney