Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Heading to Issaqueena's Last Ride in Wahalla, SC this Sat.?

I'll probably make the short drive down the mountain to Walhalla for the ILR this Sat. I'll do the metric but a century is also offered. In years past I have done 80 miles by following the century course in the first half and finishing on the metric. Hopefully the weather will cooperate because it's a nice ride with a challenging climb in the middle. But once over that peak, the metric is mostly down to the finish. There are a few long rollers on the way in to keep it interesting. It's a well supported ride and is the first half of the Blue Ridge Double with the Tour de Cashiers the next weekend. A discount is offered for those riding both. If you're within a couple hours of either ride I highly recommend heading over in the morning for one or both rides if you want challenge some good climbing.

http://www.ilrsc.com/

http://www.tourdecashiers.com/tour-de-cashiers-home/

My files from last year. My Garmin records elevation about 10% low.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172609487

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175047465
    Last edited by BikeWNC; 04-23-13 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Should be Walhalla, SC
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the weather is nice I will probably do the century. Still recovering from last Sunday's ride....seems like recovery is taking longer than it used to.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang weather. While a washout is not forecasted I might just do a longer ride around the house. I enjoy the route but don't relish riding in the rain. Wish we had tomorrow's forecast......
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if it rains, it'll probably be in the afternoon...probably later in the afternoon. Issaqueena is a nice ride through a particularly nice area of SC (most of the state is flat and sandy). Its good to support this event, and Cashiers. If it wasn't for my kidney stone procedure today, I would be there. But I'm still passing blood with a ureter stent and catheter in place. Hopefully I will be cleared for Cashiers the following weekend. We will see.

Weather be damned, go ride it. At least it won't be a cold rain and frankly, I doubt it will be much if any. If it wasn't so far I would go volunteer for sag duty.

Anyway, I hope the weather cooperates and the event goes down really well with good participation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently planning to ride the metric century. As for rain, after having ridden through most of the winter in New Jersey, I will just be happy any precipitation is not of the frozen kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I'll make the ride tomorrow. My wife has to drive down to Durham in the morning for the funeral of a college friend. Child care is now the issue as is we have a friend visiting this weekend. On a positive note, I did wash my bike today!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cancelled my hotel room and will do a 100-120 miles with moderate climbing from the house.........and hope I get back before the wet stuff starts.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning to ride the Tour de Cashiers on May 4. But I won't register until Thursday, in case I change my mind. The second big climb is pretty intimidating. Even if I don't do the Tour, I'm coming down there for the weekend anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    I'm planning to ride the Tour de Cashiers on May 4. But I won't register until Thursday, in case I change my mind. The second big climb is pretty intimidating. Even if I don't do the Tour, I'm coming down there for the weekend anyway.
    Great! I plan to ride it too. It will be slow though. I think Neal will be up here though he might not ride. The second climb on the metric, Cullowhee Mtn Rd, is tough but it generally gets easier towards the top. The first 2 miles though are a kicker. Hopefully the weather will cooperate because it's a really pretty ride.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to Cashiers even if I don't ride. I contacted the event host and she told me they would welcome more sag support. So we will see how things go this week but right now my recovery seems slow.

I hope Issaqueena has a good turnout but the weather is very threatening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've registered for the Tour de Cashiers this weekend. It can't (fingers crossed) be another sloggy weekend after last weekend's deluge. I was sorry to miss Issaqueena's Last Ride but the radar painted a telling picture that morning. Cashiers is a tough ride. My goal is to finish! I hope rm-rf can make it. Maybe NealH can ride too. If you want a challenge come on up and give it a try!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issaqueena's Last ride did have somewhat of a deluge and certainly was chilly. More than a bit dangerous going down the hills after that tough climb to the lookout near Whitewater Falls. I hear Cashiers is even tougher although I am not quite sure how the hills could get much steeper than the lookout climb.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickster View Post
    Issaqueena's Last ride did have somewhat of a deluge and certainly was chilly. More than a bit dangerous going down the hills after that tough climb to the lookout near Whitewater Falls. I hear Cashiers is even tougher although I am not quite sure how the hills could get much steeper than the lookout climb.
    Good for you for doing the ride. I suspect the weather really hurt the turnout this year. I know it influenced my decision to just ride from the house. That grunt up to the lookout is a definitely a thigh burner!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickster View Post
    There isn't a grade a long or steep as the climb up to the lookout but there are more of them. The metric has 7300' of climbing in 64 miles. Come on up and ride!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of taking Friday off to drive down for the Cashiers ride on Saturday. It's about an 8 hour drive. Ack... Would it be worth it? I don't know anything at all about the ride.

Would I be able to find a hotel somewhere within an hour or so without getting reservations? This would be all kind of last-minute if I do it. I assume I can register on the day of (or the Friday before?)

I probably won't have my regular bike back from the shop, so I'll have to ride the Trek again. I did a hard climbing ride with it last week, and it was fine except for the saddle. My butt is still aching...
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it worth an 8 hour drive? IDK, that's a long way to go. I assume you would do the century? You can register the day of the ride. I'd check out the Best Western or Holiday Inn Express in Dillsboro,NC for a room. It's about 45 min to the start from there.

The ride will probably have around 300 riders unless the weather sucks. Right now it looks to be pt. cloudy and in the low 60s with a chance of a shower. About a third of the riders do the century. The route will have around 10k ft of climbing. I'm doing the metric which for me right now is hard enough with over 7k ft.

Let me know if you need more info.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cashiers forecast graph on noaa.gov has been pretty consistent the last few days. They usually have accurate temperature forecasts, but the timing and amount (if any) of rain isn't nearly as exact.
    Saturday 9am: 48F 34% chance of rain.
    Saturday 3pm: 54F 35% chance. They show just .02 inch between 8am and 2pm.

Here's the 62 mile route on ridewithgps. The Cullowhee Mountain Road climb at the 44 mile mark is the hardest part.
    Last edited by rm -rf; 05-01-13 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those times up CMR make me feel really slow.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim-here is another option you might consider that would reduce some of the drive time. There is a 100 miler that I plan to do out of Mt Airy, NC called the Tour de Mayberry. I'm guessing the overall climbing will be in the 7000-8000 ft range from lots of "longer rollers" but will include Pilot Knob which is a really good 2.5 mile climb that's an up and back. There is a short section on that climb that is 15-20%. You would not have any problem registering the day of or finding a hotel room.

It is certainly not as scenic as Cashiers but should be a decent ride---and weather looks to be fairly cooperative right now. I'm currently on Phoenix where it was 101 yesterday and mid 90's today and it actually feels pretty good to me.......but I've been playing golf and working so it has been terrific for that. So I guess I'll need a quick adjustment for the 50's and 60's. Just hoping to keep my body on EDT as much as I can as the current 3 hour time difference could be difficult to deal with Saturday morning.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip.

I've ridden up Pilot Mountain. Steep! I took 29 minutes to go 2.4 miles, without stopping. (zoom out one step on the map, then pull down the Map list and select Terrain.) I always liked driving up to the views at the top, and finally got to ride up it. Pilot Mountain rises way above the foothills of the Blue Ridge. It's distinctive profile can be seen for dozens of miles away.

I like the description from the ride site:
    Riders on the Tour de Mayberry will have the opportunity to cycle to the top of Pilot Mountain. This side trek features a ride to the upper parking lot at the top of the mountain. The average grade is 10%.
    They forgot to mention: The steeper part is 960 feet in 2.0 miles. Oh, by the way, there's a bunch of 18% switchbacks on the lower half, and you'll be welcoming the few 7-8% sections to recover... And make sure your brakes are good, you'll need them at the sharp corners on the way down.

It's actually just as long a drive for me to go to Mt Airy as it is to Cashiers. Anyway, the forecast for Cashiers is looking a little better, with less rain chance overnight, and a lowered rain percentage during the day on Saturday.
    Last edited by rm -rf; 05-01-13 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to but am headed to LA for a "flat" cross country tour. First time. Nervous as anything. Figure training on whitewater falls and Caesars head should be worth something

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking doubtful as to whether I can get Friday off right now. But thanks for the info.

I could end up with a case of the Friday Flu. I've been known to make some impulsive decisions before
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather forecast for the Tour de Cashiers depends on which site you read. Most agree rain chances will increase later in the day Sat. Whether it holds off for the start and the whole ride remains to be seen. It's overcast right now, but might clear later this afternoon, as it did yesterday. Temps will be in the upper 40s to low 60s. Wind is forecast to be gusty but most of the course is very sheltered.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much work. I'll be hitting Skyline Drive again today.

Hope everybody has a great ride (and great weather!)
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drove to the start this morning where it was 41, rainy and windy. I checked in and decided not to ride. Talked to rm -rf who had decided the same so we met down in the valley for a shorter loop. It was still in the low 50s/upper 40s for the ride an it did rain towards the end, however we got in 24 miles anyway. While the TdC wasn't a total washout today, it was a cold wet day for those that did ride. Kudos to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast