Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-13, 02:09 PM   #1
Planemaker

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
n + 1 = w - 50

Been riding over a month now and the bug to have a road bike is really starting to bite hard.

Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds.

FYI - When I was at the LBS the Domane 4.0 really caught my eye
Planemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 02:15 PM   #2
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Been riding over a month now and the bug to have a road bike is really starting to bite hard.

Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds.

Nice plan.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 02:20 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get the Domane now and the incentive is to ride it into the ground which means 60lbs target,

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 12:22 PM   #4
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I set a target of 30 lbs and purchased a road bike when I hit 220 lbs. Make the target achievable.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 12:36 PM   #5
volosong 

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Why wait? The Domane is such a comfortable bike that you'll end up riding it a lot more than your current bike. That means that you'll lose weight more quickly.

I test rode a Domane 6 and was this close, (as I hold my thumb and fore finger about a millimeter apart), of purchasing it. The shop quoted me a fantastic price and it was hard to resist. (I justified not getting it by deciding that my current bike with 25mm tires was almost as comfortable as the Domane with its 23mm tires.) Still, it's still a really, really sweet bike! If I were in the market, I'd either get a Domane or a Rokh, (Pinarello's "comfort" bike).

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Last edited by volosong; 04-29-13 at 01:04 PM.
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 12:37 PM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I set a target of 30 lbs and purchased a road bike when I hit 220 lbs. Make the target achievable.
Have to agree. I am not much overweight but it has taken a long time to lose that little bit that I did want to lose. 50lbs seems a lot and my first reply still stands. Get the bike and use it to achieve the weight loss.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 12:43 PM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
My policy is new bike or major swag every 5 pounds lost or 20 watts gained. Or 5000 miles ridden.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 01:37 PM   #8
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
My policy is new bike or major swag every 5 pounds lost or 20 watts gained. Or 5000 miles ridden.
Sounds like the little voice in my head, but it would add: or 30 days of consecutive riding, or 10 days of not eating ice cream, or three days of walking past the display and not asking for a test ride... The force of N+1 is strong.
Old 04-29-13, 02:09 PM   #9
volosong 

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
...The force of N+1 is strong.
Thankfully, there is a little know physical law that states that when your house is so crowded and overstuffed with bicycles and parts ... that the "force" weakens. I think there is still room in one of my extra bathrooms, so the "force" still pulls at me, but not strongly as in the past.

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 04:29 PM   #10
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
Vol, that sounds like a good reason to get a bigger house.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 06:06 PM   #11
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
I have the same problem, but different. My weakness is a Rubaix! Want one so bad I can taste it. But the finances are just not there. So I ride the old Fuji and cope with the ravages of this insidious disease, this N+1. I wonder if there is a shot for this?

Mark Shuman
phread59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 06:39 PM   #12
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Specialized, if it's still going on, is running promotions with nice discounts on their bikes. I was at the LBS the other day and saw a Roubaix for a really good price. Had this sale been on when I bought my road bike last year, I might be riding a Roubaix instead of the bike I have now. I will say I really like the bike I have now.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 07:17 PM   #13
Planemaker

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Have to agree. I am not much overweight but it has taken a long time to lose that little bit that I did want to lose. 50lbs seems a lot and my first reply still stands. Get the bike and use it to achieve the weight loss.
The 50 pound goal is reachable. I have already lost 33 pounds (since earlier in the year) and right now the pounds are dripping off. If/when I hit the plateau I will rethink my goal.
Planemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 07:53 PM   #14
Doug64

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
insidious disease, this N+1. I wonder if there is a shot for this?
There is; it is called N+2

Last Friday I was going to Portland to look at a small framed Long Haul Trucker that I saw on Craig's List. It sounded just about right for our daughter. Just before I left I got an e-mail from a woman in Portland that I had talked to earlier about a 2010 Cannondale T2, the last of Cannondale's touring bikes and the last year they were made in the U.S. The Cannondale is pristine and the LHT was OK. To make a long story short, I came home with both of them. And my wife was so proud of me when I sold one of my several bikes earlier in the week. That will teach her to leave for a week to visit the kids and grand kid

Good luck on reaching your goal. Keep up the good work, and you will really appreciate the bike.
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 08:28 PM   #15
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
...Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds....
Good luck. The word "more" makes me wonder how high you are setting the bar for yourself. And I agree with the comments about thinking of the road bike as an investment toward losing weight. I think road riding makes it easier (more enjoyable equates to easier in my book) to go out for a 2-4 hour ride. I use 500 calories/hour when I think about losing weight.
hobkirk is offline   Reply With Quote