Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: n + 1 = w - 50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n + 1 = w - 50

Been riding over a month now and the bug to have a road bike is really starting to bite hard.

Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds.

FYI - When I was at the LBS the Domane 4.0 really caught my eye

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Been riding over a month now and the bug to have a road bike is really starting to bite hard.

Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds.

Nice plan.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Domane now and the incentive is to ride it into the ground which means 60lbs target,
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set a target of 30 lbs and purchased a road bike when I hit 220 lbs. Make the target achievable.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why wait? The Domane is such a comfortable bike that you'll end up riding it a lot more than your current bike. That means that you'll lose weight more quickly.

I test rode a Domane 6 and was this close, (as I hold my thumb and fore finger about a millimeter apart), of purchasing it. The shop quoted me a fantastic price and it was hard to resist. (I justified not getting it by deciding that my current bike with 25mm tires was almost as comfortable as the Domane with its 23mm tires.) Still, it's still a really, really sweet bike! If I were in the market, I'd either get a Domane or a Rokh, (Pinarello's "comfort" bike).
    Last edited by volosong; 04-29-13 at 01:04 PM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I set a target of 30 lbs and purchased a road bike when I hit 220 lbs. Make the target achievable.
    Have to agree. I am not much overweight but it has taken a long time to lose that little bit that I did want to lose. 50lbs seems a lot and my first reply still stands. Get the bike and use it to achieve the weight loss.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My policy is new bike or major swag every 5 pounds lost or 20 watts gained. Or 5000 miles ridden.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    My policy is new bike or major swag every 5 pounds lost or 20 watts gained. Or 5000 miles ridden.
    Sounds like the little voice in my head, but it would add: or 30 days of consecutive riding, or 10 days of not eating ice cream, or three days of walking past the display and not asking for a test ride... The force of N+1 is strong.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    ...The force of N+1 is strong.
    Thankfully, there is a little know physical law that states that when your house is so crowded and overstuffed with bicycles and parts ... that the "force" weakens. I think there is still room in one of my extra bathrooms, so the "force" still pulls at me, but not strongly as in the past.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vol, that sounds like a good reason to get a bigger house.

My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem, but different. My weakness is a Rubaix! Want one so bad I can taste it. But the finances are just not there. So I ride the old Fuji and cope with the ravages of this insidious disease, this N+1. I wonder if there is a shot for this?

Mark Shuman

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized, if it's still going on, is running promotions with nice discounts on their bikes. I was at the LBS the other day and saw a Roubaix for a really good price. Had this sale been on when I bought my road bike last year, I might be riding a Roubaix instead of the bike I have now. I will say I really like the bike I have now.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Have to agree. I am not much overweight but it has taken a long time to lose that little bit that I did want to lose. 50lbs seems a lot and my first reply still stands. Get the bike and use it to achieve the weight loss.
    The 50 pound goal is reachable. I have already lost 33 pounds (since earlier in the year) and right now the pounds are dripping off. If/when I hit the plateau I will rethink my goal.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    insidious disease, this N+1. I wonder if there is a shot for this?
    There is; it is called N+2

Last Friday I was going to Portland to look at a small framed Long Haul Trucker that I saw on Craig's List. It sounded just about right for our daughter. Just before I left I got an e-mail from a woman in Portland that I had talked to earlier about a 2010 Cannondale T2, the last of Cannondale's touring bikes and the last year they were made in the U.S. The Cannondale is pristine and the LHT was OK. To make a long story short, I came home with both of them. And my wife was so proud of me when I sold one of my several bikes earlier in the week. That will teach her to leave for a week to visit the kids and grand kid

Good luck on reaching your goal. Keep up the good work, and you will really appreciate the bike.

Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 * * 2007 GT Carbon Series 2, Ultegra - 7/2010 - 2,000 miles, (replaced 'cuz it was too small) * * 1975 Lotus Odyssey - resurrected & ridden 400 miles to "try out" cycling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Today I made a commitment that I will treat myself to a new road bike when I lose 50 more pounds....
    Good luck. The word "more" makes me wonder how high you are setting the bar for yourself. And I agree with the comments about thinking of the road bike as an investment toward losing weight. I think road riding makes it easier (more enjoyable equates to easier in my book) to go out for a 2-4 hour ride. I use 500 calories/hour when I think about losing weight.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix, 105 Triple
    Started cycling 6/1/2010 at 64 - lethargy, bad knees, & 247# triggered my foray into cycling
    200# as of 9/9/2012 (mostly from diet, 40# in 5 mo)
    2010 (1st 7 mo) = 4.7K miles (a little nuts), 2011 = 6K