Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Disadvantages of Being 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Disadvantages of Being 50+

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 11:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by granularus
Try living in a college town - I've been a college professor since I was 27, for a few years I could pass as a student, but somewhere along the line (35 or so) that didn't happen anymore, I think I got my first senior citizen discount that year. They aren't singling you out - the average 18 year old thinks that everyone over 35 looks like a senior citizen - and they think that everyone over 40 IS a senior citizen. Personally, I'll just enjoy the discount.

Try being the oldest rider in a group of 8 ranging from 18 to 58. The youngsters never have any money, the fit ones have competitions of last one up the hill buys the coffee, and muggins here falls for it. Discount? just let me know where you can get one for 6 coffees, 2 teas, 3 muffins and 5 pastries.
Old 04-29-05, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't think of any, 'cause I like it. I got used to the kids calling me "ma'm" a few years ago. Guess the only real disadvantage is that I have fewer years left to ride than I did 20 years ago...
Old 04-29-05, 06:47 PM
2 soon old, 2 late smart

Bikes: Waterford ST-22, Bianchi Strada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, thank you for your service in Vietnam; second, I'm sorry that We the People--and our elected 'leaders'--have shortchanged you and other men & women who served in the military. My congressmen know how I think.
Old 05-01-05, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say a little OT for a bike forum, but since it's here, I'll throw in 2 cents worth.

But, let me qualify myself up-front. I'm life member of both VFW and American Legion; I did 20 yrs, 7 mos, 19 days in USAF; Southeast Asia time was done at Udorn Thailand 66-67 with a 60 day TDY to Ben Hoa, RVN thrown in there, then Utapao Thailand 68-69, with two TDYs to RVN (Saigon & Cam Ran); I'm SMSgt USAF Retired.

And, contrary to the views of my two veterans organizations - I've a small medical condition, but it is NOT as a result of my military service so therefore, I do NOT expect the VA or the taxpayer to foot the bill for any sort of treatment for it. However, if there is a veteran out there who has a SERVICE-CONNECTED medical condition, then by all means, the VA and the taxpayer should foot the bill for any sort of treatment of that SERVICE-CONNECTED problem.