A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Choose my N+1

This is my riding history: first bought a mountain bike, didn't like every ride being a near death experience, so I fitted it with road slicks, but it was heavy and not a great long mileage bike.

I bought a carbon LeMond, very nice bike, and I put some mileage on it, but never felt comfortable on it in spite of various modifications. Because on neck and shoulder pain, I bought. Bacchetta Giro ATT 26. This is my long haul bike now.

I'm trying to encourage my daughter to ride, and she won't be seen with me on the recumbent. I want to give my Lemond away to my son as a graduation present.

So I want a more upright bike because of my very poor flexibility of my spine. I like the Rivendell bikes but I think they're overpriced.

Any suggestions for a Rivendell type bike with drop bars capable for short jaunts and occasional club rides?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far be it from me to discourage a +1 but how old is the daughter? Try asking her: "Other than my riding a recumbent, is there any other reason you don't want to bicycle with me?"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Far be it from me to discourage a +1 but how old is the daughter? Try asking her: "Other than my riding a recumbent, is there any other reason you don't want to bicycle with me?"
    Snarky even by my standards.

She enjoys rides when I'm on my LeMond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look into the Roubaix or Domain bikes. I'm sure other manufacturers have similar models. The common thread among them all is a taller head tube and longer wheelbase. I think you could probably set one of those bikes up so you are comfortable.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at Soma Fabrications. Their San Marcos frame was designed by Grant Peterson.

Just as a side note, I had similar issues with pain in neck and shoulders. It was resolved by.... wait for it... lowering my bars about 10 mm and moving my saddle back about 4 mm. This surprised me a great deal.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestions for a Rivendell type bike with drop bars capable for short jaunts and occasional club rides?
    Taiwan' s big warehouses full of hundreds of Tig Welders, people, make frames for Soma, Surly, Salsa , and many other brands

Gunnar is the Tig Welded batch made line from Waterford..

Hand made and Lugged frames is what Rivendale is into... if you can do without the lugs ,
    then TIG welding will be fine.

Bike Fridays Pocket Rocket is their Drop Bar lineup , just has 20" wheels ..
    they revolve more often to cover a mile, the gear ratio is higher .. but they are made to fit , You.
    and will go in the cars trunk .. you can 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace it all your budget will tolerate..

Re Speed.. the work is still all about pushing you through the air , and it's resistance, not wheel size..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-13 at 02:10 PM.

My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Disk:

Salsa Fargo, but change out the bigfoot tires?

More uprite, change out bars-- Kona Dew plus+

???

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the stuff above. Will check them out.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LHT is for loaded touring and the Fargo is for offroad adventure touring. Great bikes for what they are made to do, but neither is going to be much fun on a club ride. Surly's Pacer would be more like it, very close in geometry to the old Riv Rambouillet. The Salsa Casseroll was very much in that vein, but no longer in production. Specialized Roubaix (carbon) or Sectuer (aluminum) are similar in geometry and capability, if not in material. Other major brands have similar offerings, but I'm not as familiar with them.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd second BD suggestion about the Roubaix and Secteur as well as adding the Synapse Cannondales, too. Those Surly bikes that Len suggested could all work, how about a build like the gravel bike that BD built with an emphasis on road use as far as tyres, bars and wheelsets. And, if you like Rivs, why not look at one? If I was going to buy right now it would be between a Roubaix and a Synapse with my own set up and 28 tyres, 32h wheels and drop bars/ modern components (no Di2 or EPS though.) This should be interesting if you do begin a search, keep me up to date, please.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Black Mountain Cycles has a better frame for building a Bobish bike than the Monster Cross frame I have. Their Road frame fits the bill quite nicely.
    http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1491

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Actually, Black Mountain Cycles has a better frame for building a Bobish bike than the Monster Cross frame I have. Their Road frame fits the bill quite nicely.
    http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1491

Very nice!

The reason km not getting a Riv is that I suspect they're overpriced. Seen what they charge for a Homer Hilson?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Very nice!

The reason km not getting a Riv is that I suspect they're overpriced. Seen what they charge for a Homer Hilson?
    Yes. For that price, I can get a guy in Augusta, GA to build me a full custom lugged steel frame with the same features.

Soma's San Marcos was designed by Grant Petersen himself, so it would be an option at less than half the price of an A.H.H.

All-City has the Mr. Pink, which looks like a really good bike that most any LBS can get through QBP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Soma ES and DoubleCross. I'm not that much of a 'homer' for the company, it's just how it worked out. No regrets, both have a plush ride and the geometry is relaxed.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Very nice!

I thought that was an issue, same thinking here, the builds are sound but, I think GP gets his premium price out of his publicity and notoriety. I have really like BD's gravel grinder build, hope you find that grail bike for you.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about:

Handsome Devil

Surly Cross-Check

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k. It's a recumbent. But it's a damn cool one. I bet your daughter would let you ride this one. (And if I'm wrong, you can send it to me ).

http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to offer a slightly different approach to finding your +1. I had a "bike fit" this winter at our LBS using a GURU Dynamic Fit system. It was amazing - rather than ride a "bike", the GURU system is a fully automated and adjustable piece of equipment that can make adjustments to the bike geometry while you're pedaling. You get to feel the bike geometry, or an unlimited number of geometries, until you feel most comfortable without having to ride a whole bunch of bikes. The system even comes with a whole rack of bike seats to try out. Using the GURU bike geometry data, the LBS can then find the bike that most closely matches it. It's the closest thing to the perfect bike fit, IMO. You can check it out at http://www.gurucycling.com/ Lastly, the cost of the GURU bike fit was half of what they charged the previous year because it's such an efficient process changing bike geometry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want carbon, just about everybody sells an endurance/comfort bike these days. Pinarello Rokh, Bianchi Infinito, Trek Domane, Specialized Roubaix, etc. Enter "endurance carbon fiber bicycles" in your Google search window and you will be pointed to more information that you can shake a stick at.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black