Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Choose my N+1

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Choose my N+1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Choose my N+1

This is my riding history: first bought a mountain bike, didn't like every ride being a near death experience, so I fitted it with road slicks, but it was heavy and not a great long mileage bike.

I bought a carbon LeMond, very nice bike, and I put some mileage on it, but never felt comfortable on it in spite of various modifications. Because on neck and shoulder pain, I bought. Bacchetta Giro ATT 26. This is my long haul bike now.

I'm trying to encourage my daughter to ride, and she won't be seen with me on the recumbent. I want to give my Lemond away to my son as a graduation present.

So I want a more upright bike because of my very poor flexibility of my spine. I like the Rivendell bikes but I think they're overpriced.

Any suggestions for a Rivendell type bike with drop bars capable for short jaunts and occasional club rides?

Old 04-28-13, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Far be it from me to discourage a +1 but how old is the daughter? Try asking her: "Other than my riding a recumbent, is there any other reason you don't want to bicycle with me?"
Old 04-28-13, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Far be it from me to discourage a +1 but how old is the daughter? Try asking her: "Other than my riding a recumbent, is there any other reason you don't want to bicycle with me?"
Snarky even by my standards.

She enjoys rides when I'm on my LeMond.

Old 04-28-13, 11:36 AM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look into the Roubaix or Domain bikes. I'm sure other manufacturers have similar models. The common thread among them all is a taller head tube and longer wheelbase. I think you could probably set one of those bikes up so you are comfortable.
Old 04-28-13, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to look at Soma Fabrications. Their San Marcos frame was designed by Grant Peterson.

Just as a side note, I had similar issues with pain in neck and shoulders. It was resolved by.... wait for it... lowering my bars about 10 mm and moving my saddle back about 4 mm. This surprised me a great deal.
Old 04-28-13, 02:07 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any suggestions for a Rivendell type bike with drop bars capable for short jaunts and occasional club rides?
Taiwan' s big warehouses full of hundreds of Tig Welders, people, make frames for Soma, Surly, Salsa , and many other brands

Gunnar is the Tig Welded batch made line from Waterford..

Hand made and Lugged frames is what Rivendale is into... if you can do without the lugs ,
then TIG welding will be fine.

Bike Fridays Pocket Rocket is their Drop Bar lineup , just has 20" wheels ..
they revolve more often to cover a mile, the gear ratio is higher .. but they are made to fit , You.
and will go in the cars trunk .. you can 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace it all your budget will tolerate..

Re Speed.. the work is still all about pushing you through the air , and it's resistance, not wheel size..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 02:09 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surly Long Haul Trucker, Disk:

Salsa Fargo, but change out the bigfoot tires?

More uprite, change out bars-- Kona Dew plus+

???
Old 04-28-13, 02:42 PM

I like the stuff above. Will check them out.

Old 04-28-13, 04:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The LHT is for loaded touring and the Fargo is for offroad adventure touring. Great bikes for what they are made to do, but neither is going to be much fun on a club ride. Surly's Pacer would be more like it, very close in geometry to the old Riv Rambouillet. The Salsa Casseroll was very much in that vein, but no longer in production. Specialized Roubaix (carbon) or Sectuer (aluminum) are similar in geometry and capability, if not in material. Other major brands have similar offerings, but I'm not as familiar with them.
Old 04-28-13, 04:50 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'd second BD suggestion about the Roubaix and Secteur as well as adding the Synapse Cannondales, too. Those Surly bikes that Len suggested could all work, how about a build like the gravel bike that BD built with an emphasis on road use as far as tyres, bars and wheelsets. And, if you like Rivs, why not look at one? If I was going to buy right now it would be between a Roubaix and a Synapse with my own set up and 28 tyres, 32h wheels and drop bars/ modern components (no Di2 or EPS though.) This should be interesting if you do begin a search, keep me up to date, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-28-13, 05:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Actually, Black Mountain Cycles has a better frame for building a Bobish bike than the Monster Cross frame I have. Their Road frame fits the bill quite nicely.
https://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1491

Old 04-28-13, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Actually, Black Mountain Cycles has a better frame for building a Bobish bike than the Monster Cross frame I have. Their Road frame fits the bill quite nicely.
https://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1491

Very nice!

The reason km not getting a Riv is that I suspect they're overpriced. Seen what they charge for a Homer Hilson?

Old 04-28-13, 05:59 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Very nice!

The reason km not getting a Riv is that I suspect they're overpriced. Seen what they charge for a Homer Hilson?
Yes. For that price, I can get a guy in Augusta, GA to build me a full custom lugged steel frame with the same features.

Soma's San Marcos was designed by Grant Petersen himself, so it would be an option at less than half the price of an A.H.H.

All-City has the Mr. Pink, which looks like a really good bike that most any LBS can get through QBP.
Old 04-28-13, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Soma ES and DoubleCross. I'm not that much of a 'homer' for the company, it's just how it worked out. No regrets, both have a plush ride and the geometry is relaxed.
Old 04-29-13, 05:20 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Very nice!

I thought that was an issue, same thinking here, the builds are sound but, I think GP gets his premium price out of his publicity and notoriety. I have really like BD's gravel grinder build, hope you find that grail bike for you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-29-13, 06:53 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
How about:

Handsome Devil

Surly Cross-Check

Old 04-29-13, 07:31 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
O.k. It's a recumbent. But it's a damn cool one. I bet your daughter would let you ride this one. (And if I'm wrong, you can send it to me ).

Old 04-29-13, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'd like to offer a slightly different approach to finding your +1. I had a "bike fit" this winter at our LBS using a GURU Dynamic Fit system. It was amazing - rather than ride a "bike", the GURU system is a fully automated and adjustable piece of equipment that can make adjustments to the bike geometry while you're pedaling. You get to feel the bike geometry, or an unlimited number of geometries, until you feel most comfortable without having to ride a whole bunch of bikes. The system even comes with a whole rack of bike seats to try out. Using the GURU bike geometry data, the LBS can then find the bike that most closely matches it. It's the closest thing to the perfect bike fit, IMO. You can check it out at https://www.gurucycling.com/ Lastly, the cost of the GURU bike fit was half of what they charged the previous year because it's such an efficient process changing bike geometry.
Old 04-29-13, 11:07 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
If you want carbon, just about everybody sells an endurance/comfort bike these days. Pinarello Rokh, Bianchi Infinito, Trek Domane, Specialized Roubaix, etc. Enter "endurance carbon fiber bicycles" in your Google search window and you will be pointed to more information that you can shake a stick at.