Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-13, 02:23 PM   #1
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle and Bike Crash - Ouch!!!!

Oh my, I can't believe this!!!!

Motorcycle Crashes into Bicycles 4/27/2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18
Rwc5830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 02:30 PM   #2
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yikes, that is pretty nasty. Does not appear that there were any serious injuries, which is very fortunate. Any investigation on the cause?
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 03:28 PM   #3
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Argh! Another life saved by a helmet.

Severe whiplash followed by a direct hit on the back of the head.

Show this to anyone who takes off his/her helmet when slowly climbing uphill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash.jpg (14.3 KB, 24 views)
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 03:31 PM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At least there is video evidence for the insurance claims going in.

Just shows how easily an accident will occur if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

And how vulnerable a cyclist can be when idiots get on the road.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 03:54 PM   #5
CenturionIM

Bikes:
The comment section was pretty chilling.
CenturionIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 04:11 PM   #6
con
Older I get, faster I was

Bikes:
Classic target fixation on the part of the M/C rider.

The guy saw the riders, rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn, rider stares straight at the bikes......POW!

He should have stayed on the throttle, kept pressure or increased pressure on the inside grip and looked where he wanted to go. Then he could have waved as he passed them.

Last edited by con; 04-28-13 at 04:20 PM.
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 04:16 PM   #7
pursuance

Bikes: IZip Express, GT Sanction 2.0, Schwinn beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by con View Post
+ a bazillion.
pursuance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 04:19 PM   #8
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
That looks like the Rock Store climb on Muholland Hwy.
rubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 05:27 PM   #9
Rwc5830

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturionIM View Post
The comment section was pretty chilling.
Yeah the comments were very alarming for the most part. Even when his friend posted a note about one of the cyclist who got hit.
Old 04-28-13, 06:15 PM   #10
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
That's a bit west of my old Topanga, Tuna, and Latigo haunts along Mulholland Hwy., but still too close for comfort.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 06:48 PM   #11
peckma

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubic View Post
That looks like the Rock Store climb on Muholland Hwy.
It is, top of what is called "the Snake".
Accident happened an hour or so after I came through there going downhill (the cyclists in the video are going uphill). The loonies were out in force yesterday.
peckma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 07:13 PM   #12
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Bikes: Trek CrossRip 3, Easy Racer Tour Easy LE,Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

The guy saw the riders, rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn, rider stares straight at the bikes......POW!

He should have stayed on the throttle, kept pressure or increased pressure on the inside grip and looked where he wanted to go. Then he could have waved as he passed them.
You were close except on one point: ""rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn""

To stay low in the turn you need to keep the throttle closed, Rolling it off DOES shift weight forward and that lowers the front end effectively INCREASING rake
and that Quickens TURN IN, meaning the bike turns in deeper/lower...

Staying on the throttle would only be ok IF he had the discipline to LOOK WHERE HE WANTED THE BIKE TO GO,,
He looked at the bicyclist and drove right into him, throttle control was out the window. The Biker simply 'Target fixated'

A motorcycle runs wide when you ADD throttle and don't increase lean angle, We use throttle to lift the bike up out of the turn,,
If you Ride a Motorcycle you should read something:

'Sport Riding Techniques' by Nick Ienatsch, foreword by Kenny Roberts, ISBN 1-893618-07-2
osco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 07:32 PM   #13
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Aside from the human suffering (OUCH) and mechanical carnage (OUCH), I think it's amazing that someone just happened to be filming. That should go a long way toward making the case for the cyclists. Hope all the injured weren't too seriously injured and that they will recover quickly.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 08:16 PM   #14
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Bikes:
Considering this video was posted by the same author - my conclusion is that the area is unofficially used by a bunch of idiots who'd like to pretend they're 'road racers' regardless of the risk to themselves, their friends or anyone else.

http://www.visordown.com/snippets/wh...way/17970.html

Proof positive that lots of people have more money than brains.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 08:50 PM   #15
con
Older I get, faster I was

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
You were close except on one point:
To stay low in the turn you need to keep the throttle closed, Rolling it off DOES shift weight forward and that lowers the front end effectively INCREASING rake
and that Quickens TURN IN, meaning the bike turns in deeper/lower...-2
Sorry, with all due respect I disagree . I have been teaching motorcycle riding for 12 years riding full time for 45 years and there is no doubt that a chopped throttle causes a motorcycle at speed to stand up and run wide. If it were not true we would all just roll off the throttle, or get on the brakes, to increase our turn in and avoid running wide. You only need to make that mistake once to know that won't work out on the street.
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 10:43 PM   #16
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Considering this video was posted by the same author - my conclusion is that the area is unofficially used by a bunch of idiots who'd like to pretend they're 'road racers' regardless of the risk to themselves, their friends or anyone else.
Sometimes that is the case up there. I've ridden that road for 24 years and lately there have been some crazy days with photographers and videographers stationed along the road. Last Saturday as we descended past the group of photogs some m/c riders hung a u-turn in front of us to go make another pass for the cameras.

You can go on-line and buy photos of yourself from these guys. To be fair, most of the m/c and car drivers have been safe around us over the years and only a couple times have I felt endangered in that area.

I love the comments about how bicyclists don't belong because there are no bike lanes.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 02:32 AM   #17
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Sometimes that is the case up there. I've ridden that road for 24 years and lately there have been some crazy days with photographers and videographers stationed along the road. Last Saturday as we descended past the group of photogs some m/c riders hung a u-turn in front of us to go make another pass for the cameras.

You can go on-line and buy photos of yourself from these guys. To be fair, most of the m/c and car drivers have been safe around us over the years and only a couple times have I felt endangered in that area.

I love the comments about how bicyclists don't belong because there are no bike lanes.
A couple questions;
Is this an organized event wirh permission from the county?
If not its illegal use of a public road. Why hasn't it been shut down?
If its a legal activity why isn't traffic redirected?
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 02:55 AM   #18
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
I've done probably 100,000 miles on various motor cycles and reckon that guy could've easily applied brakes as well as slowed and tightened into the corner. Must've been inexperienced or day-dreaming. Hard to judge the speeds but by the speed of the cyclists, the bike appeared to be only going slow.
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 04:16 AM   #19
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
There is always video rolling on the weekends on places like Mulholland and "Tail of the Dragon", if for no other reason than to catch the crashers and self promotion.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Old 04-29-13, 04:45 AM   #20
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed. All I could think was inexperienced rider fixating.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 07:30 AM   #21
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
A couple questions;
Is this an organized event wirh permission from the county?
If not its illegal use of a public road. Why hasn't it been shut down?
If its a legal activity why isn't traffic redirected?
It's not really an event, not organized or pre-planned. The photographers are always out there, it's just sometimes a bunch of knuckleheads show up.

Sometimes there is a heavy police presense, usually the Highway Patrol.

Like I said, the real craziness only started recently.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 09:58 AM   #22
JTGraphics

Bikes:
Quote:
Sorry, with all due respect I disagree . I have been teaching motorcycle riding for 12 years riding full time for 45 years and there is no doubt that a chopped throttle causes a motorcycle at speed to stand up and run wide. If it were not true we would all just roll off the throttle, or get on the brakes, to increase our turn in and avoid running wide. You only need to make that mistake once to know that won't work out on the street.
I would have to agree with you 100% I raced road and motocross for many years he had a good line and should of been able to stay on it. I see the bike twice head right to the guy and never really tried to stop and puts a foot down? That said to turn a motorcycle at speed you roll the throttle to increase power unloading the front wheel this helps it turn you lean more and inexperienced person may not fill conferrable doing this but to turn fast you enter the turn on a good line at the correct speed holding steady power you and roll the throttle up and exit the turn not cost or apply brakes.
Old 04-29-13, 04:38 PM   #23
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
I would have to agree with you 100% I raced road and motocross for many years he had a good line and should of been able to stay on it. I see the bike twice head right to the guy and never really tried to stop and puts a foot down? That said to turn a motorcycle at speed you roll the throttle to increase power unloading the front wheel this helps it turn you lean more and inexperienced person may not fill conferrable doing this but to turn fast you enter the turn on a good line at the correct speed holding steady power you and roll the throttle up and exit the turn not cost or apply brakes.
+1 for your and Con's replies, this is exactly my experience on the street and track.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 05:36 PM   #24
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
Thank you both for the clear and concise explainations.

I know this is somewhat tangiental to the thread but a few years ago my wife's nephew had a fatal accident while riding his sport bike home alone just after dark. He hit a pickup truck broadside and died of brain trauma upon impact. The road is not heavily traveled and the speed limit was 45mph. The truck was parked off of the road in a driveway approx. 3/4 of the way around a curve.

Due to these explainations I can now understand how one can run into a parked truck while being stone-cold-sober. The truck was on the outside of the curve. For whatever reason, he must have let off of the throttle and not been able to react fast enough to what happened to his line through the curve.

Though he had been riding for several years, I believe he died from inexperience.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 08:08 PM   #25
Rwc5830

Here is another article about the crash. Also another video of a motorcyclist following the one who ran into the bicyclists.

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2013...o-bike-riders/