Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcycle and Bike Crash - Ouch!!!!

Oh my, I can't believe this!!!!

Motorcycle Crashes into Bicycles 4/27/2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, that is pretty nasty. Does not appear that there were any serious injuries, which is very fortunate. Any investigation on the cause?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argh! Another life saved by a helmet.

Crash.jpg

Severe whiplash followed by a direct hit on the back of the head.

Show this to anyone who takes off his/her helmet when slowly climbing uphill.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least there is video evidence for the insurance claims going in.

Just shows how easily an accident will occur if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

And how vulnerable a cyclist can be when idiots get on the road.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The comment section was pretty chilling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic target fixation on the part of the M/C rider.

The guy saw the riders, rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn, rider stares straight at the bikes......POW!

He should have stayed on the throttle, kept pressure or increased pressure on the inside grip and looked where he wanted to go. Then he could have waved as he passed them.
    Last edited by con; 04-28-13 at 04:20 PM.

My Bikes
    IZip Express, GT Sanction 2.0, Schwinn beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    + a bazillion.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like the Rock Store climb on Muholland Hwy.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenturionIM View Post
    The comment section was pretty chilling.
    Yeah the comments were very alarming for the most part. Even when his friend posted a note about one of the cyclist who got hit.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bit west of my old Topanga, Tuna, and Latigo haunts along Mulholland Hwy., but still too close for comfort.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubic View Post
    That looks like the Rock Store climb on Muholland Hwy.
    It is, top of what is called "the Snake".
    Accident happened an hour or so after I came through there going downhill (the cyclists in the video are going uphill). The loonies were out in force yesterday.
    Don't upgrade, ride up grades - Mercx
    Does this come in carbon? - Anon.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy saw the riders, rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn, rider stares straight at the bikes......POW!

He should have stayed on the throttle, kept pressure or increased pressure on the inside grip and looked where he wanted to go. Then he could have waved as he passed them.
    You were close except on one point: ""rolled off the throttle, the motorcycles weight shifts forward at that point and causes the motorcycle to run wide in the turn""

To stay low in the turn you need to keep the throttle closed, Rolling it off DOES shift weight forward and that lowers the front end effectively INCREASING rake
    and that Quickens TURN IN, meaning the bike turns in deeper/lower...

Staying on the throttle would only be ok IF he had the discipline to LOOK WHERE HE WANTED THE BIKE TO GO,,
    He looked at the bicyclist and drove right into him, throttle control was out the window. The Biker simply 'Target fixated'

A motorcycle runs wide when you ADD throttle and don't increase lean angle, We use throttle to lift the bike up out of the turn,,
    If you Ride a Motorcycle you should read something:

'Sport Riding Techniques' by Nick Ienatsch, foreword by Kenny Roberts, ISBN 1-893618-07-2
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from the human suffering (OUCH) and mechanical carnage (OUCH), I think it's amazing that someone just happened to be filming. That should go a long way toward making the case for the cyclists. Hope all the injured weren't too seriously injured and that they will recover quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering this video was posted by the same author - my conclusion is that the area is unofficially used by a bunch of idiots who'd like to pretend they're 'road racers' regardless of the risk to themselves, their friends or anyone else.

http://www.visordown.com/snippets/wh...way/17970.html

Proof positive that lots of people have more money than brains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    You were close except on one point:
    To stay low in the turn you need to keep the throttle closed, Rolling it off DOES shift weight forward and that lowers the front end effectively INCREASING rake
    and that Quickens TURN IN, meaning the bike turns in deeper/lower...-2
    Sorry, with all due respect I disagree . I have been teaching motorcycle riding for 12 years riding full time for 45 years and there is no doubt that a chopped throttle causes a motorcycle at speed to stand up and run wide. If it were not true we would all just roll off the throttle, or get on the brakes, to increase our turn in and avoid running wide. You only need to make that mistake once to know that won't work out on the street.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Considering this video was posted by the same author - my conclusion is that the area is unofficially used by a bunch of idiots who'd like to pretend they're 'road racers' regardless of the risk to themselves, their friends or anyone else.
    Sometimes that is the case up there. I've ridden that road for 24 years and lately there have been some crazy days with photographers and videographers stationed along the road. Last Saturday as we descended past the group of photogs some m/c riders hung a u-turn in front of us to go make another pass for the cameras.

You can go on-line and buy photos of yourself from these guys. To be fair, most of the m/c and car drivers have been safe around us over the years and only a couple times have I felt endangered in that area.

I love the comments about how bicyclists don't belong because there are no bike lanes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Sometimes that is the case up there. I've ridden that road for 24 years and lately there have been some crazy days with photographers and videographers stationed along the road. Last Saturday as we descended past the group of photogs some m/c riders hung a u-turn in front of us to go make another pass for the cameras.

You can go on-line and buy photos of yourself from these guys. To be fair, most of the m/c and car drivers have been safe around us over the years and only a couple times have I felt endangered in that area.

I love the comments about how bicyclists don't belong because there are no bike lanes.
    A couple questions;
    Is this an organized event wirh permission from the county?
    If not its illegal use of a public road. Why hasn't it been shut down?
    If its a legal activity why isn't traffic redirected?

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done probably 100,000 miles on various motor cycles and reckon that guy could've easily applied brakes as well as slowed and tightened into the corner. Must've been inexperienced or day-dreaming. Hard to judge the speeds but by the speed of the cyclists, the bike appeared to be only going slow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always video rolling on the weekends on places like Mulholland and "Tail of the Dragon", if for no other reason than to catch the crashers and self promotion.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. All I could think was inexperienced rider fixating.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    A couple questions;
    Is this an organized event wirh permission from the county?
    If not its illegal use of a public road. Why hasn't it been shut down?
    If its a legal activity why isn't traffic redirected?
    It's not really an event, not organized or pre-planned. The photographers are always out there, it's just sometimes a bunch of knuckleheads show up.

Sometimes there is a heavy police presense, usually the Highway Patrol.

Like I said, the real craziness only started recently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, with all due respect I disagree . I have been teaching motorcycle riding for 12 years riding full time for 45 years and there is no doubt that a chopped throttle causes a motorcycle at speed to stand up and run wide. If it were not true we would all just roll off the throttle, or get on the brakes, to increase our turn in and avoid running wide. You only need to make that mistake once to know that won't work out on the street.
    I would have to agree with you 100% I raced road and motocross for many years he had a good line and should of been able to stay on it. I see the bike twice head right to the guy and never really tried to stop and puts a foot down? That said to turn a motorcycle at speed you roll the throttle to increase power unloading the front wheel this helps it turn you lean more and inexperienced person may not fill conferrable doing this but to turn fast you enter the turn on a good line at the correct speed holding steady power you and roll the throttle up and exit the turn not cost or apply brakes.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I would have to agree with you 100% I raced road and motocross for many years he had a good line and should of been able to stay on it. I see the bike twice head right to the guy and never really tried to stop and puts a foot down? That said to turn a motorcycle at speed you roll the throttle to increase power unloading the front wheel this helps it turn you lean more and inexperienced person may not fill conferrable doing this but to turn fast you enter the turn on a good line at the correct speed holding steady power you and roll the throttle up and exit the turn not cost or apply brakes.
    +1 for your and Con's replies, this is exactly my experience on the street and track.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    Thank you both for the clear and concise explainations.

I know this is somewhat tangiental to the thread but a few years ago my wife's nephew had a fatal accident while riding his sport bike home alone just after dark. He hit a pickup truck broadside and died of brain trauma upon impact. The road is not heavily traveled and the speed limit was 45mph. The truck was parked off of the road in a driveway approx. 3/4 of the way around a curve.

Due to these explainations I can now understand how one can run into a parked truck while being stone-cold-sober. The truck was on the outside of the curve. For whatever reason, he must have let off of the throttle and not been able to react fast enough to what happened to his line through the curve.

Though he had been riding for several years, I believe he died from inexperience.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another article about the crash. Also another video of a motorcyclist following the one who ran into the bicyclists.

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2013...o-bike-riders/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast