Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do saddles have a break in period

Purchased my Trek Fitness 7.4 in March the owner of the LBS said I may want to consider a new saddle but, I should give it 30 days before I decided. The weather in March and early April was horrible and just in the last two weeks I have put any significant miles on my bike (187 miles in April with most of those in the last 10 days). The current saddle caused my bum to be really sore at first but, in the last few rides my bum does not hurt while having an hour to 2 hours in the saddle at any point in time. So, either my fat behind is getting used to the saddle or I have broken it in to fit me. Which is it?

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you need miles to develop Bike Bottom. In my case it took about 500 miles. Then you know if you need a new saddle. If your saddle feels OK after you have you base miles is you are in business. If not then you have a search ahead of you. Most Selle, Specialized, SMP, WTB, Fi'zi:k Saddles fit or don't fit right out of the box. Leather Saddles on the other hand tend to need a break in period. It seems as if there is some debate as to how long the break in takes and if a break in needs to take place. But that being said most people talking about leather saddles all have methods for the proper break in of a saddle.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most OM saddles are only there for the test rides--Just like pedals- but "Occasionally" the saddle will adjust to the owners butt (Or the other way round) and the saddle can be comfortable.

I have never found OM saddles comfortable and as soon as possible it has been changed to one off another bike or a new one purchased. Last year I bought the "Cheap" Pinarrello FP UNO and left the saddle on for the first ride. It was no better than other OM saddles but for some reason did not change it. Couple of rides later and I noticed an improvement so decided to give it a chance. It has stayed on the bike and is as comfortable as the other saddles now.

So give the saddle a chance- You may be lucky.

However I have found a few OM saddles that did settle in- only to go "Off" after a few months so be prepared to re-asses in 6 months.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/index

No break in period for me with my peak seat, instantly pain free on the first ride..

As for the stock seat, I lasted less than two city blocks. Even the test ride was painfull.
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most saddles do not substantially break in (Brooks and similar saddles being exceptions). Butts do break in. See my sig.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's your Butt that is getting used to the saddle..

leather saddles like new leather shoes have a break in period.

Gel, in saddle pads, breaks down, not in..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Most saddles do not substantially break in (Brooks and similar saddles being exceptions). Butts do break in. See my sig.
    This is soooo true. A saddle that disappeared under me when I was riding a lot is now, after a layoff of several months, hurting my butt. I've had saddles start to break down, but never in. I ride mostly Fizik.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/index

No break in period for me with my peak seat, instantly pain free on the first ride..

As for the stock seat, I lasted less than two city blocks. Even the test ride was painfull.
    Same with my ISM Prologue. It was love at first sit. I've had it since last June, put around 5,000 miles on it, and it's still as comfortable as when I got it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Purchased my Trek Fitness 7.4 in March the owner of the LBS said I may want to consider a new saddle but, I should give it 30 days before I decided. The weather in March and early April was horrible and just in the last two weeks I have put any significant miles on my bike (187 miles in April with most of those in the last 10 days). The current saddle caused my bum to be really sore at first but, in the last few rides my bum does not hurt while having an hour to 2 hours in the saddle at any point in time. So, either my fat behind is getting used to the saddle or I have broken it in to fit me. Which is it?
    Do saddles have a break in period, no but your butt does...
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

My Bikes
    Origin8 cx700 build, 2011 Jamis Allegro 1, 2014 Bianchi Milano Dama, 2014 Breezer Downtown 8 ST, 2014 KHS Urban Xtreme, 2013 Surly Cross Check, 2014 Giant Avail 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leather saddles don't agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

I tried two different Brooks saddles but neither agreed with me. Five miles and the pain would begin. I finally caved in and got a less expensive but comfortable Terry gel saddle with cutout. The rest of my saddles are in the $35 range and feel good. I especially like C9 for urban/city riding. Even if you do succeed in braking in a leather saddle, you have to sit in that one position where the sit bones have curved indentations in the saddle.
    [SIGPIC]