Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 month update by DnvrFox

Hi old and newer participants.

It has been about 4 months since my last substantive post in the 50+and I wanted to briefly update my friends and acquaintances. Goodness - so many new folks!! That is great.

Nora and I are both alive at 75.5 and 73.5 years old. Nora is still riding - just last Saturday, and is now taking beginning swimming lessons. I am so proud of her. She continues to have the awful post herpetic neuralgia pain every afternoon.

I continue riding my Lemond, Specialized Mtn Bike and WIndsor Leeds. As always, I have absolutely no interest in speed, mileage or averages. Just cruising along the creek and other trails enjoying the birds singing. I am currently trying a brand new type of saddle in the hopes of eliminating perineal pain and irritation. LBS wants me to try it for a few miles. As we are having rain and snow the next few days, it will be a bit.

I continue swimming about 4 hours per week, and thoroughly enjoy it.

I am now able to walk 2-3 miles easily, after fighting the severe Achilles tendonosis the past year. Accupuncture and PT and my very hard work helped to conquer it and avoid surgery. For awhile there, even walking 1/4 mile killed me.

I continue intense resistance training, adding TRX recently. I do believe that I have not only held my own the past 10 years, but am actually stronger.

I have enjoyed reading the 50+ posts, but there was only one to which I could have added anything significant. That was a thread concerning finding schmutz?? along the road and not being able to carry it home. I would have suggested a Kiva foldup backpack which folds to a very small package and fits in nicely into my wedge. I used it today for some berries from Sprouts.

Once again, the 50+ goes through the gyrations of "not on topic" and "cliques" - for maybe the 4th time in 10 years. I laughed a bit.

I don't plan on reentering the 50+ except for perhaps a periodic update for those interested. The break has been good for me, and honestly, my goals, interests and activities are far removed from about 80--90% of the 50+ participants. Also, I don't enjoy defending posts from just a few antagonists who took it on themselves to continually challenge whatever I posted. Life is too short.

A couple of you have kept me up-to-date and asked about me privately, and I greatly appreciate that.

We are still challenged daily by the needs of our profoundly disabled son - including last night, today and tomorrow. Critical problems to be solved and no easy answers.

I wish each and every one of you the best in your bicycling and your discussions. To newbies - this forum was started just for you - keep on pedaling and enjoy!!

DnvrFox
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-03-13 at 06:54 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to hear that you can walk again Dnvr! You are in my thoughts often, especially when I come to this subforum.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear about the progress and you'll be in my thoughts for the challenges.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update, Denver. You keep pedaling too and rattle some cages while you're at it!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to you. I hope whatever choices you make in life exceed your expectations,

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to have an update on you and Mrs. Nora, Denver. Glad that your health is doing well and hope Nora's pain can find some relief soon. Please do update us as you see fit.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear from you, Denver and to know that you and Nora are overcoming some of life's challenges.
    Take it easy. You deserve to.
    Best wishes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your update, Denver. Glad to hear of your progress on some physical issues. Best to you and the Mrs.
    And I did it all clean.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear from you Dnvr. Glad you are both doing well.
    Sorry to hear about the problems your son is going though. My youngest (now 32 y/o) is autistic so I have somewhat of an idea of your challenges.
    Best of luck to the three of you.
    Last edited by RonH; 05-01-13 at 07:21 AM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bless you, DnvrFox, and the missus Thank you for the update. Live well ... live happy.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for checking in. It's good to hear from you. All the best with all your challenges, and check in again soon.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy for the update. Glad you posted.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Scott! He has only laughed 4 times in 10 years! We have to kick it up a notch!!! The goal for 2013 should now be: "Keep DnvrFox rolling on the floor laughing at least once per week!"

Good to know that you are conquering life.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear from you Dnvr. Glad you are both doing well I and hope Nora's pain goes away soon.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We miss you around here bro.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver -

Thanks for the update. Just about every time I come to the forum, I wonder how you're getting along.

- Ed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you are well Denver.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great come backs. I really appreciate them.

I had a tough meeting this am with Andy's care giver, day care provider, case manager, my son (the attorney), the Host Home supervisor, Andy's former care giver and Andy.

I believe we made some progress in clarifying communication lines and responsibilities, getting folks to work together, and getting me out of the line of fire - where I should not be. It was a very rough night 2 nights ago, but I finally slept last night, and I believe the meeting was productive.

In one's mid 70's, one wonders just when all the advocacy ends. Conclusion - it doesn't, which makes one's inevitable death a scary . . . .
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see you check in Denver! All my best to both you and Nora.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep pedaling. And swimming. etc.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice update, thanks.

Just don't make us wait 4 months for the next one, even if it is a "Hi, still riding".
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Thanks for all the great come backs. I really appreciate them.

I had a tough meeting this am with Andy's care giver, day care provider, case manager, my son (the attorney), the Host Home supervisor, Andy's former care giver and Andy.

I believe we made some progress in clarifying communication lines and responsibilities, getting folks to work together, and getting me out of the line of fire - where I should not be. It was a very rough night 2 nights ago, but I finally slept last night, and I believe the meeting was productive.

In one's mid 70's, one wonders just when all the advocacy ends. Conclusion - it doesn't, which makes one's inevitable death a scary . . . .
    I don't know your son's problems, but it seems you are facing similar challenges to those of my brother with his son in the UK. A never-ending torture for all concerned. My sympathies go out to your family.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Denver, as you know there are some battles that can't be ignored. While you and Nora didn't ask for this battle, you have fought it with, tenacity, skill, and most importantly, honor. Your advocacy for your family may go unheralded in lots of places, but the impact has been great, reaching the lives of many. I understand that even warriors get weary. You deserve to retire from this battle. Yet, we’re not at a point in this struggle that it’s safe to step down. Get some rest, go for a ride, sing with your friends, take Nora out for a treat, and then prepare for the next conflict. You have my deepest respect.
    Last edited by NOS88; 05-01-13 at 09:19 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed you. We didn't always agree, and we didn't always disagree, but it was always interesting.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast