Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Something cool happened to me today (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/887068-something-cool-happened-me-today.html)

dannwilliams 04-30-13 07:04 PM

Something cool happened to me today

I was finishing my ride and a car following me the last few blocks. When I pulled into my driveway he stopped and jumped out of his car. I thought,"what did I do to tick him off?" Turns out he lives a couple blocks away, started riding bikes a few years ago and just got a Garmin. He noticed a bunch of my rides and how close they were to his house. I must say it was a kinda cool feeling meeting someone because of my rides posted from my Garmin.

Crankykentucky 04-30-13 07:52 PM

Wow, that is pretty cool! I didn't know you could post the rides to Garmin. I use Runkeeper and just downloaded the app for Map My Ride!
It's really Sci Fi stuff to me that I can tune my guitar with my phone, which has almost as good of a camera as my little Canon, and I can also keep track of rides or walks!

OldsCOOL 04-30-13 07:58 PM

Strava app?? Pretty cool to get noticed :D

Dudelsack 05-01-13 04:23 AM

Join Strava and you'll find dozens of people nearby who are faster than you ;)

cplager 05-01-13 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15573880)

And that's why I don't join... :)

By the way, you don't need a Garmin device to get a Connect account. You can upload gpx files that you make with your android/iphone/whatever-else.

NOS88 05-01-13 06:21 AM

So, have you planned any rides together?

Roosterbird 05-01-13 07:29 AM

ridewithgps.com also

DEK 05-01-13 11:28 AM

The "dark side" of this is I've read articles that theives are using Strava-like sites to monitor where the nice bikes are for stealing. Be careful about what you post or you may go for a ride one day and your bike is gone.

cccorlew 05-01-13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEK (Post 15575512)
The "dark side" of this is I've read articles that theives are using Strava-like sites to monitor where the nice bikes are for stealing. Be careful about what you post or you may go for a ride one day and your bike is gone.

You can set it to randomize/make anonymous your house location. Any ride started from your house will be in the general area but not exactly. Except it looks fine when YOU log in.

dannwilliams 05-01-13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roosterbird (Post 15574336)
ridewithgps.com also

This is the site he was referring to. My profile picture here is the one he described. I upload to ridewithgps.com, Garmin Connect, and also Strava.

dannwilliams 05-01-13 04:54 PM

Quote:

Good thing I don't have a "nice" bike!:)

PeaceVegan 05-01-13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Yes, we must all be fearful all the time. Wait..., If someone wants to steal my bike can't they just follow me home and see where I live?

Daspydyr 05-01-13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15573880)

That's the truth. I've used it for motivation. I also found some riders in my neck of the woods and routes I never knew existed. I have also seen the wierd ego maniacs, I view them as zombies trying to eat my brains. I flee for my life.