Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fun with the Family this Saturday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Wife and I are taking it easy this Saturday and doing a 30 mile organized ride with my son, DIL and two grandsons. The little guy will be on a trail-a-bike. He's 5, very competitive, and I don't think he'll appreciate being on the TaB versus riding his own 5 speed. I think this ride has two rest stops so we won't suffer from lack of fuel.

We're holding off on 100Ks and longer until we get my wife's position and saddle dialed in. I think if the family weren't doing the short ride we'd still do the 100K, but seat pain for the last 20 miles does tend to take some of the enjoyment out of the experience.

It also looks like the temps won't be too bad. We're having an early Spring warm spell, but beginning Saturday things moderate and the following 3+ weeks look really sweet with max temp low 70's.
Old 05-01-13, 05:53 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Wife and I are taking it easy this Saturday and doing a 30 mile organized ride with my son, DIL and two grandsons. The little guy will be on a trail-a-bike. He's 5, very competitive, and I don't think he'll appreciate being on the TaB versus riding his own 5 speed. I think this ride has two rest stops so we won't suffer from lack of fuel.
As long as to whomever he is attached moves quickly, he should be fine. My daughter really likes "winning" (which really isn't fair because my wife is pulling a trailer and I'm pulling a trail-a-bike and they really can help when the pedal).

Old 05-01-13, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend. In terms of the five year old not wanting to be attached.... I don't think I'd want it any other way. Independent determination is the hallmark of most cyclists.
Old 05-05-13, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We had a great time on a superb organized ride. The little guy doesn't like to gear down so I think he was cranking 120 rpm the entire 32 miles. The older grandson had a soccer game at 1000 so he was measuring out his effort and hanging back with his mom. Regroups at the rest stops were the norm. The little guy is so funny; my wife and I would hang back with our daughter-in-law, then catch up to my son. When the 5 y/o would hear us coming he would really put the pedal to the metal so to speak. My son was just cruising - even with the 45 lb. trail-a-bike and the 5 y/o a Cat 2 could dust us, but it was a day for just cruisin'. Wife and I put in an extra 15 miles before stopping by the older grandson's soccer game.

Disclaimers: I have no idea when the camera lens makes it look like I have a "boiler". Maybe the wind puffing up my vest?
Attached Images