Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I make my rides more enjoiable

By trying to be more positive mentally about the cagers... when someone passes me, and they are closer to the centre line than to me, I wish them a good day... If they are over the centre line with 1/2 or more of their vehicle I wish them a great week... If they are closer to me than the centre line, I wish them a bad day. And if I think they just buzzed me on purpose I give them the 1 finger salute... Surprisingly, since I started to do this, my rides have become more enjoyable, since I get to say/think good thoughts to 99%+ of the drivers and the 1% just gets lost in the shuffle... I wonder how this mental attitude would work for others, try it you may like it...
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My most enjoyable rides are with my club, friends, special events and other rides with a social aspect. Try it, you'll like it.

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, I guess what I meant was, If how vehicle interaction and your riding a bike on the side of the road concerned you, that way of thinking is/was more positive for me...
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm grateful every time I make it home alive.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do appreciate people who intentionally give me space. A good wish for them is a good idea. Occasionally some kid has to shout as they pass. I have decided not to respond. I think it feeds the beast and with the crazies out there getting weirder and weirder, I don't want someone deciding to use me for target practice.

Then again, I ride with a handful of Vegas Metro cops from time to time. They always pack a *******. They refer to it as their skidplate. Gives one a whole different feeling on a ride.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many nuts out there to risk being shot after giving the one finger salute. What I think is nuts is when some idiot goes into the oncoming lane to give space, and keep up his/her speed, over the double line on a blind corner.

I just try to smile and wave.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My more enjoyable rides are the ones where I don't think about the possible intention of those in/on other vehicles. I diligently avoid wanting to give anyone a negative hand signal, because once I’ve done something like that I can’t take it back.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bikey Mikey;15578302] What I think is nuts is when some idiot goes into the oncoming lane to give space, and keep up his/her speed, over the double line on a blind corner.QUOTE]

And I thought that was only in Florida!

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't bother with the ones that may have intentionally "buzzed" me, I am an invererate waver when I ride, just the way I'm wired I guess. I will not lower myself to flipping someone off, that is up to you, only. Here in the rural deep south that is a good way to get hurt very quick. (I'm 6'-1", 230# and muscular but it won't help me if they run over me or produce the shot *** or ***** from the rack.) Riding always makes me feel better than when I started so it just gets better regardless. I'm basically very grateful to be riding and alive after all I have been through.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I don't bother with the ones that may have intentionally "buzzed" me, I am an invererate waver when I ride, just the way I'm wired I guess. I will not lower myself to flipping someone off, that is up to you, only. Here in the rural deep south that is a good way to get hurt very quick. (I'm 6'-1", 230# and muscular but it won't help me if they run over me or produce the shot *** or ***** from the rack.) Riding always makes me feel better than when I started so it just gets better regardless. I'm basically very grateful to be riding and alive after all I have been through.

Bill
    You're in good company, Bill: "I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."~Booker T. Washington

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am certainly not advocating giving people the finger, you can just ignore them. But the positive thoughts to those that give you more room when they pass certainly uplifts my ride...
    Last edited by 350htrr; 05-02-13 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. Still pay attention to that pothole in front of you when wishing people a good day, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute everyday if weather permits you cannot let people get on your nerves for one it will not make your day better thats for sure.
    Something I have learned on my commutes I have a light wind breaker I have noticed when I leave it unzipped and flapping around people tend keep a better distance from me. I think it makes them notice me more and seeing it waving they think I may be wider or moving around in the lane and they go wide around me.
    I also keep all local police dispatch phone numbers of all areas I ride on my phone rather than calling 911 its faster you get a direct person in control of sending cars.
    I have had people cut me off or stop and say something to me, I will take my phone out and ask if they want me to call the police for them and we can discuss it just pull over and wait a bit. No one has yet LOL dispatch #'s are better I use them most always rather than 911 and 911 on a cell has been a joke its only a answering service setup for the police and they redirect you anyways.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Too many nuts out there to risk being shot after giving the one finger salute. What I think is nuts is when some idiot goes into the oncoming lane to give space, and keep up his/her speed, over the double line on a blind corner.

I just try to smile and wave.
    Nothing says eff u better than a smile and a wave.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just assume everyone is trying to hit me. Some try to miss and get a nod and smile. So far none have scored a hit.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a passing driver leaves the lane and crosses the center line just to pass me, I roll my eyes and moan "oh, the drama", as if 3 feet weren't enough passing margin. My line is good and my control is excellent. I would assume the same of the driver. So why the 20 foot berth? Pa-leeze

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    When a passing driver leaves the lane and crosses the center line just to pass me, I roll my eyes and moan "oh, the drama", as if 3 feet weren't enough passing margin. My line is good and my control is excellent. I would assume the same of the driver. So why the 20 foot berth? Pa-leeze
    To me the distance away from me that is satisfactory changes with the speed of the vehicle, 3' is plenty at 30MPH but 6'+ when faster than 60 MPH seems about right to me...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I commute everyday if weather permits you cannot let people get on your nerves for one it will not make your day better thats for sure.
    Something I have learned on my commutes I have a light wind breaker I have noticed when I leave it unzipped and flapping around people tend keep a better distance from me. I think it makes them notice me more and seeing it waving they think I may be wider or moving around in the lane and they go wide around me.
    I also keep all local police dispatch phone numbers of all areas I ride on my phone rather than calling 911 its faster you get a direct person in control of sending cars.
    I have had people cut me off or stop and say something to me, I will take my phone out and ask if they want me to call the police for them and we can discuss it just pull over and wait a bit. No one has yet LOL dispatch #'s are better I use them most always rather than 911 and 911 on a cell has been a joke its only a answering service setup for the police and they redirect you anyways.
    My first thought was that they kept their distance because they didn't want the zipper to scratch their paint. I think maybe I need a vacation.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    I'm one of those guys that gives a full lane *if prudent* because I know what I can control 20 ft away from you, but you, on the other hand, could be super secret squirrel in disguise, and I don't want to be responsible for hitting someone whose skill level I don't know. I do appreciate the folks that give me a wide berth because they're making an effort to be nice. Nothing wrong with that.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some nice ladies in pink and purple kits who ride in my part of town. Following them adds to the joy of riding.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    There are some nice ladies in pink and purple kits who ride in my part of town. Following them adds to the joy of riding.
    +
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    My first thought was that they kept their distance because they didn't want the zipper to scratch their paint. I think maybe I need a vacation.
    Could very well be LOL for some of the autos that pass me anyways.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    When the road gets narrow but the traffic is moving too fast to make occupying the lane practical or safe, I use a technique I call "jinking" (like what fighter pilots would do to make it harder to get hit by antiaircraft fire). I just make the odd unexpected weave - the first one is always to the right, so you don't bounce off an overtaking car, so you need to be sure you have a bit of room to the right. When you're approaching from behind in a car, and the cyclist up ahead is weaving slightly, you tend to give them a bit more room. I find this technique usually opens up at least 3 feet of room.

I have been riding on the track for over 40 years, and I can hold the bike right on the painted line. But it seems that the straighter you can ride, the closer the cars feel they can approach. So it helps to ride below your skill level!

Luis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take the approach that I am an annoyance to those in motorized vehicles. I stay out of the way. I go out of my way to avoid any kind of interaction with motorists. I haven't had any kind of an encounter with a motorist in years. When I was younger and full of angst I had many instances of road rage gone wild. Not any more. I stay out of the way, ride the white line, and let everyone pass me. The "take the lane" attitude is just wrong. And those that ride that way are just asking for trouble. When I am driving and encounter cyclists riding two abreast taking up a whole lane I get pretty pissed. They are creating an annoyance for those in cars.

The other day, at rush hour, at a crowded intersection, i saw a cyclist making a left turn from the left turn lane. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Why put yourself out there like that. Do anything to skirt around that kind of situation. A biker thinking they are a regular vehicle in traffic is going to get caught up in some bad situations. Be safe, think of where you are, and what are the best alternatives to stay out of the way of traffic.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    When the road gets narrow but the traffic is moving too fast to make occupying the lane practical or safe, I use a technique I call "jinking" (like what fighter pilots would do to make it harder to get hit by antiaircraft fire). I just make the odd unexpected weave - the first one is always to the right, so you don't bounce off an overtaking car, so you need to be sure you have a bit of room to the right. When you're approaching from behind in a car, and the cyclist up ahead is weaving slightly, you tend to give them a bit more room. I find this technique usually opens up at least 3 feet of room.

I have been riding on the track for over 40 years, and I can hold the bike right on the painted line. But it seems that the straighter you can ride, the closer the cars feel they can approach. So it helps to ride below your skill level!

Luis
    Cripes, I thought I was the only one that did this.

It occurred to me that motorists who are inclined to cut it close (provided they are not homicidal), will cut as close to the cyclist as they believe they can without hitting the cyclist. So someone who is holding their line well invites the motorist to cut it closer than someone who is not holding their line as well ... the jinking you mention. And I have to say ... it works.

I watch my rear view mirror pretty closely and there are also times when I see someone approaching me who is giving all the signs of a close pass. With plenty of time to go, I'll actually move further into the lane. Now, to avoid hitting me, they have to move further over. I watch them, and after they've committed to that, I move to the right to get my passing space. Essentially, I've reserved my space in advance. Something easily done with a rear view mirror, but impossible without one.
    www.photo395.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast