Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-13, 08:29 PM   #26
robble 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ginger flowers on one of the mountain rides I do.
not so good - bus fumes on my daily commute.
Old 05-02-13, 08:58 PM   #27
CrankyFranky

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!
One of my favorites is a stand of linden trees lining a street near where I live. Even though I'm allergic to that and many other pollens, I still like the smell. Occurs sometime in May, methinks.
CrankyFranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13, 10:37 PM   #28
ingo

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Used to live in Thousand Oaks and ride down to Oxnard. Riding through onion fields during harvest with your eyes watering and throat burning, then into the celery fields. The strangest was broccoli, when the smell is intense it is weird, and I like eating broccoli.
ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13, 11:59 PM   #29
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of my rides are on the backroads round here and after a hard winter for the Fauna- There were a lot of unsavoury smells coming from the roadside. Another problem is the Sewerage works at the edge of town that can get a bit ripe at times. But down at the coast and the smell of the sea. I know it is rotting seaweed but somehow I find that appealing.

But seeing the fruit trees in blossom means that I will be changing route shortly to get a bit more inland. The smell of all that blossom wafting over the road makes me realise that winter is dead and summer just round the corner.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 06:39 AM   #30
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
We are past the lilacs blooming here, they were so nice this year, they made my rides smell great. Now its the fresh plowed earth where the farmers are getting ready to put in the cotton and soy bean seeds. Fresh mown grass in the yards, including ours every spring and summer, and in the summer it is the magnolias that fill the air. Always some horse apples from the riders to keep us on our toes and add to that fresh baked smell when the asphalt is steaming up after the rains. Rides always bring me memories from the smells each season.

Bill
I think you're fortunate to have a climate that will support most of the different varities of magnolias, one of my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
I have a usual 18 mile route I ride when I'm just out for a quick one. If not for the inherent dangers involved in riding a bicycle blindfolded, I could probably ride that route by scent.
Throughout the woods I can smell the scent of sun-warmed pine needles, (I love that smell), then on to the fragrance of Ceanothus (also known as New Jersey Tea), out of the woods and past the house that always smells like someone has clothes in the dryer, on to Dunkin' Donuts, but I have to dismount and go in to experience the glorious aroma of coffee. On the way home, I pass the house that, on Sundays, always makes my mouth water with the smell of pork on the grill. After six or seven years of these experiences I now associate some of them with my bike!
You made me smile with this one. As I read it I realized that I've actually created several routes based just on the smells and could, if it were safe, ride them with my eyes closed and know where I was. Ceanothus? Don't know if I'd recognize that smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Spring is stunningly beautiful in north Florida. Wisteria is now in bloom and smells great.

But riding is rural areas as I do I often manure smells as well. I actually like the smell in the right amount. Horse manure always smells good to me. Cow manure being spread on fields also has a pleasant earthy smell. A feedlot of cows is another matter.
Just planted some Wisteria near the patio and am eager for the blooms and their scent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robble View Post
Ginger flowers on one of the mountain rides I do.
not so good - bus fumes on my daily commute.
Ginger flowers! I haven't smelled them is some time. Hmmm, I wonder where I can find some? Not many around here can get it through the winter, and I've never seen it bloom unless it's at least two years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Most of my rides are on the backroads round here and after a hard winter for the Fauna- There were a lot of unsavoury smells coming from the roadside. Another problem is the Sewerage works at the edge of town that can get a bit ripe at times. But down at the coast and the smell of the sea. I know it is rotting seaweed but somehow I find that appealing.

But seeing the fruit trees in blossom means that I will be changing route shortly to get a bit more inland. The smell of all that blossom wafting over the road makes me realise that winter is dead and summer just round the corner.
Hadn't thought about seaweed rotting being the source of a smell that I also find a bit appealing.

Last edited by NOS88; 05-03-13 at 06:44 AM.
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 07:50 AM   #31
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I have always been blessed with a very good sense of smell. The OP is right, it adds to the enjoyment of cycling. In the late afternoon riding by houses, you can smell what is on the stove for dinner. In the spring, the smell of flowers come out, and as they come up different weeds can be smelled. On an evening ride in late summer you can smell the fragance of plants and weeds.

For me the smells add to the pleasure of riding. I might add that I never ride with headphones either, both for safety and what I can hear in general.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 10:07 AM   #32
mprelaw

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
But down at the coast and the smell of the sea. I know it is rotting seaweed but somehow I find that appealing.
Oddly enough, it is a very appealing smell. Also, another smell that you can often pick up by the ocean is the oils that feeding fish secrete. People often describe is as cut cucumbers or melon. Very light, pleasant, nothing at all like dead fish.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 10:48 AM   #33
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 3 rideable (Genesis, Dawes & Merlin, 2 in pieces (Orange & Dawes)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
A regular morning ride of mine starts off in the hills above Cardiff and follows the trail alongside the River Taff through fields and woods with different smells at different times of the year. Then about half a mile still on the river bank, through the city, at one stage passing near Brains brewery with its unique smell when the wind is in the wrong direction (how can something that tastes so nice come from such an awful smell?).

Then through the Bay with its coffee shops, across the barrage with the usual strong breeze wafting in the Bristol Channel smell, and down into the seaside town of Penarth with that previously mentioned seaside aroma of seaweed etc. And then the return journey, this time stopping off in the Bay for toast and coffee overlooking the harbour area.

A two hour round trip and a great start to the day.
Gerryattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 11:26 AM   #34
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
The smell of orange blossoms in my early morning rides through Ventura's orange orchards.

The smell of star jasmine on a summer evening's ride.

For the next few days, however, these pleasant fragrances will be replaced by the acrid smell of burning brush.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 06:01 PM   #35
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
One early morning ride(around 0500 or 0530) the smell of frying bacon and pancakes hung in the air--for some reason, my stomach rumbled.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 05:27 AM   #36
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingo View Post
Used to live in Thousand Oaks and ride down to Oxnard. Riding through onion fields during harvest with your eyes watering and throat burning, then into the celery fields. The strangest was broccoli, when the smell is intense it is weird, and I like eating broccoli.
What happened...you missed the strawberry fields and orange orchards?
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 01:43 PM   #37
Greyride

Bikes:
Am I the only one who smells peoples perfume as they pass by in their cars or how about guy smoking in his car?
Greyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 05:38 AM   #38
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I ride past a cabinet shop on my commute. Newly sawn hardwood - mmmmmmmmmm.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 05:41 AM   #39
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
I'm amazed. I asked folks what the pleasant experiences were. Wow! My idea of pleasant is VERY different than some of the responses.
Remember when we were kids and the old guys seemed grumpy?
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 10:29 AM   #40
Whiteknight

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
I'm amazed. I asked folks what the pleasant experiences were. Wow! My idea of pleasant is VERY different than some of the responses. I guess I really am much more fortunate than I realize.
When it comes to the SRT.
The multiflora rose at oaks. The honeysuckle at Port Indian. Then the sewage treatment plant below Norristown now devoid of the mass of honeysuckle that used to somewhat mask the odor. Then another at Conshohocken. The smell of the American Linden (Basswood) trees in bloom in the Fairmont Park Azalea garden. The smell of the American Linden blooms is so relaxing!
Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 11:34 AM   #41
moonlessnight

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale Criterium 3,
My daily ride takes my next to the river which cuts through the city. Unfortunately whole its pretty to look at, it smells awful.
moonlessnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 12:19 PM   #42
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
I also am riding in a rural setting. Although the first smell to hit me is the local pizza shop. That's followed by a herd of steer, which right now are not smelling. About 4 miles into the ride its manure, which isn't too bad. Another farmer, which I don't ride by, thank goodness, is using the new method of making a manure slurry and spraying it on the field. That smell is overwhelming for days. The farmers also spray herbicides in spring, and that's hard to take. Then I pass the Amish farmer and his organic farm. No bad smells there. A few times a year he is toasting oats or soybeans and that smells pretty good. Also my route has two spots where something is rotting beside the road. Usually stop breathing for a bit at those spots. I get out too late for breakfast smells. And I think nobody grills around here; although I do smell a hickory smoker a few times a year.
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 01:59 PM   #43
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Byproducts of the seafood cannery, liquid, drains out of the back of the truck, as it waits, uphill, to turn right
to go to the processing facility.

Same corner, it's on my route home .. it has a certain fragrence..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 06:12 PM   #44
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Byproducts of the seafood cannery, liquid, drains out of the back of the truck, as it waits, uphill, to turn right
to go to the processing facility.

Same corner, it's on my route home .. it has a certain fragrence..
Ahh yes. I've heard those double decker cattle trucks can be more than just fragrant when they happen to pass closely by.

Dead livestock removal trucks are rather odorous and swine feedlots have a fragrance that travels far downwind.

Last edited by Zinger; 05-08-13 at 10:11 PM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 07:13 PM   #45
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
And I thought this was going to be another DRAFTING thread rant, with the lead guy farting.
Old 05-08-13, 07:18 PM   #46
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
Am I the only one who smells peoples perfume as they pass by in their cars or how about guy smoking in his car?
Nope...I chased a car for a few miles cuz she was wearing the same perfume as a girl I dated in High School......never caught her

Anyway.....Diesel buses smell like warm toast on the first cold fall morning
Velognome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:31 AM   #47
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
Nope...I chased a car for a few miles cuz she was wearing the same perfume as a girl I dated in High School......never caught her

Anyway.....Diesel buses smell like warm toast on the first cold fall morning
Can you imagine following some diesel car burning used French Fry or Fried Chicken oil.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 04:42 AM   #48
Kip

Bikes:
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One of the smells I look forward to each winter is when skunk cabbage blooms which usually happens in February where I live in Western Washington. Slightly sweet with skunky overtones it's not a real pleasant smell but it is a reminder that winter is waning and spring is not far off.
Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 10:56 AM   #49
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
I used to work with an old guy that smoked cigars non-stop, all day long. And they where not the expensives ones either.
On one of the days I rode my bike to work, he passe me on the way home. No only could I smell him and his cigars, he left a trail of odor for blocks.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 12:00 PM   #50
sail

Bikes: Yep
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Today was the fresh smell of rain, no complaints on the wet butt. Tomorrow with the sun will be freshly cut grass.
sail is offline   Reply With Quote