Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   new tire time (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/887474-new-tire-time.html)

Shamrock 05-02-13 06:30 PM

new tire time

Sorry to bring this up BUT.I need new tires don't care for the Vittoria pro I'm riding now.Looking at conti gp4000,gatorskin hardshell,panracer stradius sport TG.Reviews seem to be useless one guy loves his tire the next hates his brand.All comments welcome.

Biker395 05-02-13 06:34 PM

I've had great luck with the Conti GP4000S tires. Reasonably flatproof, and they grip well. I've recently heard complaints from others about the sidewalls being weak, but I've had not problems with them. If you want even better flat resistance for only a little bit more weight, try the Gatorskins with the Kevlar bead.

PBK is having a tire sale again, BTW.

Mobile 155 05-02-13 06:40 PM

Are you using the Pros or the Pro slicks? I have had good luck with the Pro slicks at least in the 25s. I find they roll a bit better than Gatorskins and they are about 15 or 20 bucks less. 4000s roll well but they are also a bit on the expensive side. Gatorskins last a long time but tend the shed threads on the side wall well before they wear out. I haven't tried the others.

Take a look at this site just for kicks. http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...489_00crx.aspx

Biker395 05-02-13 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mobile 155 (Post 15581551)
Are you using the Pros or the Pro slicks? I have had good luck with the Pro slicks at least in the 25s. I find they roll a bit better than Gatorskins and they are about 15 or 20 bucks less. 4000s roll well but they are also a bit on the expensive side. Gatorskins last a long time but tend the shed threads on the side wall well before they wear out. I haven't tried the others.

Take a look at this site just for kicks. http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...489_00crx.aspx

Geez ... look at all the reports of sidewall failures. That's no bueno! :eek:

Shamrock 05-02-13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 15581535)
I've had great luck with the Conti GP4000S tires. Reasonably flatproof, and they grip well. I've recently heard complaints from others about the sidewalls being weak, but I've had not problems with them. If you want even better flat resistance for only a little bit more weight, try the Gatorskins with the Kevlar bead.

PBK is having a tire sale again, BTW.

Do you know what the tail letter S stands for? Thanks

Shimagnolo 05-02-13 06:58 PM

Are you using the Pros or the Pro slicks? I have had good luck with the Pro slicks at least in the 25s. I find they roll a bit better than Gatorskins and they are about 15 or 20 bucks less. 4000s roll well but they are also a bit on the expensive side. Gatorskins last a long time but tend the shed threads on the side wall well before they wear out.

I just replaced a Gatorskin (28mm) yesterday on one of my road bikes. I have Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (32mm) on my touring/all-weather bike and am thinking of putting 28mm Supremes on the road bike. Compared to the Gatorskins, Supremes of the same size:
- Weigh less.
- Have reflective sidewall.
- Don't have silly exposed threads on sidewall.
- Have better wet traction (at least in my experience).

Shamrock 05-02-13 06:59 PM

i;m using the rubino pro

MileHighMark 05-02-13 07:02 PM

I've been pleased with Schwalbe's Durano.

Shimagnolo 05-02-13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 15581605)

"S" is the "Black Chili" compound. http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...p4000S_en.html

The non-S is available in colors other than black. http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...dp4000_en.html

Retro Grouch 05-02-13 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 15581517)
Sorry to bring this up BUT.I need new tires don't care for the Vittoria pro I'm riding now.Looking at conti gp4000,gatorskin hardshell,panracer stradius sport TG.Reviews seem to be useless one guy loves his tire the next hates his brand.All comments welcome.

That's been my experience too.

If you ride with a group regularly, notice what tires they use and buy the same model. I don't know if they'll be any better but, if you happen to puncture, you won't have to endure a lecture on what sucky tires you bought while everybody is standing around waiting for you to fix your flat.

NOS88 05-02-13 07:04 PM

I've ridden the Gatorskins and the GP 4000s. I find the Gators to be stiffer and not quite as responsive when making demanding turns. I've not experienced any difference in terms of flat protection.

Biker395 05-02-13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 15581605)

No idea. The The GP4000S supposedly has their "black chili" compound, and the GP4000 do not:

The carbon filler particles within the rubber compound are reduced to 1/10th of the size of standard carbon particles. This creates a closer knit with the particles having more points of contact with each other, thus forming a tighter bond, (increasing mileage performance) and also with the road (increasing grip). Also the way in which the particles interact with each other has a dramatic effect on reducing rolling resistance. Black Chili is used by several ProTour and Continental teams as well.
Kinda confused, though, as the black GP4000 supposedly has the same compound.

Conti offers this for a comparison test with other brands:

http://www.conti-online.com/www/down...gp4000s_en.pdf

Mobile 155 05-02-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 15581611)
I just replaced a Gatorskin (28mm) yesterday on one of my road bikes. I have Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (32mm) on my touring/all-weather bike and am thinking of putting 28mm Supremes on the road bike. Compared to the Gatorskins, Supremes of the same size:
- Weigh less.
- Have reflective sidewall.
- Don't have silly exposed threads on sidewall.
- Have better wet traction (at least in my experience).

To me the best part about Gatorskins is everyone seems to carry them. The worst part is the strings that seem to unravel after a while. Schwalbe tires do seem to be constructed better. But saying that I have had pretty good results from the Pro Slicks I have on two sets of wheels. Performance had them on sale for $30 each, I bought 4.

dannwilliams 05-02-13 07:27 PM

I used to run Vittoria Rubino Pro's and switched to Conti GP 4000s a few years back. I get longer life, less flats, and a more "supple" ride. They do cost more, but worth it IMHO.

daredevil 05-02-13 08:20 PM

About to try a pair of Maxxis Re-Fuse. I'll let you know.

ModeratedUser150120149 05-02-13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 15581517)

That's because there are a wide variety of riding desires, riding environments, biases, and so forth. Best advice is to just go to your local folks and see what they ride and how they like the tires. That gives you a chance to put what they say in context of the person, reliability and all the other things that drive the decision. In other words: What works for Bubba in Podunkville on smooth city pavement may not be as good for Willard who rides chipcoat in NoWhereVill.

MinnMan 05-02-13 09:13 PM

I ride with a GP4000S in the front and a Gatorskin in the back. Gatorskins are a bit heavier, but I like the flat protection. Prior to the Gatorskins, I got most of my flats in the back tire.

I did have one very nasty blowout with a GP4000s sidewall getting shredded when a sharp rock came my way - the rider in front of me ran over it and the rock popped up and sliced a 1/2" hole in the sidewall. It was a brand-new tire, too.

BluesDawg 05-02-13 09:24 PM

I am very happy with the Michelin Pro 4 Enduro tires I have been using for almost a year. Smooth rolling, good cornering and very supple feel. About 4000 miles and the rear tire is just beginning to show significant wear so that I'm going to buy a replacement to have ready, but I don't expect to need to change it before several hundred more miles. The front still looks new. I'm planning to stick with these for a while.

zonatandem 05-02-13 09:48 PM

Maxxis Re-Fuse (folding) 700x25 results on our tandem and also on my racing single bike riding on the roads.
5,600 miles of riding between the 2 bikes in 2012.
120 PSI, kevlar belted, 275 grams.
TWO flats due to patch coming loose on tube. NO actual punctures.
We do live/ride in the desert southwest (Tucson) with lots of thbe usual roadsidse debris + lotsa cactus thorns.
Yup we like 'em.
Can actually mount/dismount those tires without tire tools and I'm no kid at 80 years old.
Tire mileage is in the 2,000 mile range on the back of tandem and a few hundred more on the front.
Competitively priced too.
Just our input/experience.
Rudy/zonatandem

h2oxtc 05-02-13 11:18 PM

I have Rubino Pro, Rubino Pro Slicks, Gatorskins, and recently bought GP4000S for a new set of wheels. They're all good tires in my opinion, and I usually replace them long before they need replacing. The only flat's I've had I deserved. The Gatorskins are heavier by a bit if weight is an issue, but otherwise bulletproof in my experience.

stapfam 05-02-13 11:38 PM

Choice of two for performance tyres and that is Conti 4000s and Michelin PR series. Due to previous conti's I used having the sidewalls stripping of the cord-I went to Michelin PR 2's when I looked for a performance tyre 5 years ago. Progressed up through 3's and currently run PR4- service course. Puncture resistance is not bad but they do occur and if there is a fault the tyres cut up on the tread area. Grip is good and other than one tyre sidewall failing that was due to hitting a kerb hard- I have not had any tyre failures.

I also have one set of wheels for winter/foul weather use fitted with Michelin Lithions. Grip in the wet is no where as good but They do not cut up as much- even in the winter and are cheaper.

qcpmsame 05-03-13 05:29 AM

I am using Gatorskins, 700X25 and, I like them a lot. I had Michelin Pro3 on my R500, after the Conti GP4000 wore out, and the new Cannondale 10 4 had Schwalbe Lugano on when I bought it. The Luganos got a quick rock cut on the rear while I was descending a hill and had a few exciting moments, I decided to get a more durable tyre since I am not a racer in any way every thing I read about the Gatorskins said it would be a good choice and it definitely is, the extra width and volume made a big difference on the rough rural roads I ride every day. The Gatorskin can be expensive (all Conti seem to be a bit pricey) but I shopped around and found them at Ribble for $31.00 if I spent over $50.00, shipping from the UK was only $8.00. I will keep the price above in mind too. I try to keep a spare folding one handy as well as buying Conti tubes from Amazon (an Amazon resale I think) in a 4 pack. I'm sticking with the Continental tyres, maybe a set of GP4000 for the wheelset I have in mind for the days I want something kind of sporty.

Bill

Shamrock 05-03-13 08:14 AM

Thanks guys! Some things I found out reading about tires.Conti gp4000 and gatorskins are not designed to be ridden on gravel.Some tires are manufactured for a rider weight limit of 180 lbs. But I haven't noticed the weight limit listed on any sites yet.The S on conti gp4000s means silver lettering.It took me 60 seconds to buy 4 tires for my car and I have hours into these stupid bicycle tires.I'm now looking at Schwalbe marathon I like the idea of tread on a tire.

RonH 05-03-13 08:48 AM

I've had really good luck with Conti GP4000 700x23, Conti Grand Prix 4 Season 700x25, and my current tires, Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech 700x25.

MinnMan 05-03-13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shamrock (Post 15583208)
\It took me 60 seconds to buy 4 tires for my car and I have hours into these stupid bicycle tires.

This doesn't surprise me at all. My car is just a machine to take me from place A to place B. My bicycle is the machine by which I pursue my passion.