Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wildflower Century and the Meaning of Life

What's the point of an organized 100 mile ride? Why would I ever fork over my hard-earned money to join 4,000 other mostly lycra-clad cyclists, when I usually like to ride alone?

Why did I pay to suffer – not too much – up steep, long climbs, in the unshaded heat of the mid-day sun? And why did I drive 480 miles to suffer on the Chico (California) Wildflower Century?

One answer: Tradition! This was my tenth go at the Wildflower, and there is something to be said for repeating the rituals of a ride that takes a commitment of time and physical effort to make. Especially at my age, now that I'm a card-carrying senior citizen.

The other answer? Riding a century, for me, is a good way to connect, on a deep level, with other people and the world around me. It's a chance to ride and see old friends (a long time ago I lived in the town of Chico for a few years), to make new acquaintances, and to test myself against gravity and – this year – heat. It's a time to forget about aches and pains that come with the aging body.

It's a time to plug into something greater than myself, even as I am a part - a very small part - of that greater something. While I'm nominally an atheist, there is something biblically rhythmic – no matter what the religion – in a long ride's beginnings and endings, in the sense of renewal (symbolized both by my ability to make the same journey yet again, despite my age, and by the returning wildflowers), and in the communion of the road.

That's why I'll shell out money to share the road with thousands of other cyclists, as we ride through an ever-changing and mostly natural and beautiful landscape.

The ride from Los Angeles to Chico is long, and, especially in the northern half of the state, scenic. I made the trip with my brother, Dan, and my good friend, Rick. We stayed with friends from my days at Chico State, who still live in town.

Arriving in Chico, we parked at the Silver Dollar Fairground for registration. It's a good time to check out some of the bikes.

With temperatures predicted to reach into the 90s, we were up well before dawn, eating breakfast and putting on sunblock.

After riding a few miles through the pleasant, tree-lined streets of Chico, we began the first climb of the day, up the oft-patched, always uneven pavement of Humboldt Road.

While the ride up Humboldt is long, it's not steep. It's followed by a super-fast descent back into the Sacramento Valley via Highway 32, which is both steep and straight-as-an-arrow.

We rode beneath one of the two Steve Harrison Memorial Arches, dedicated to a local bike activist and vice president of the local Sierra Nevada brewing company (I'm a huge fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale).

Another six easy miles took us through Butte Canyon, where miners dredged for riches during the state's famous Gold Rush in the mid 1800's, and to the wonderful Honey Run Road Covered Bridge, spanning Butte Creek. I recall kissing my girlfriend, Nancy, one dark winter night under the roof of the bridge. We walked out onto the span, the sound of our footfalls echoing beneath the roof, the waters of the creek burbling below. And when we kissed, the night went suddenly silent.

Past the bridge, the road narrows like a coronary artery clogged with plaque. The angle of the pavement shoots up, too; so does my heart rate.

From the bridge, it's four twisting, uphill miles until the road mercifully tops off in the town of Paradise. Along the way, there are occasional views across the canyon to layers of lava that flowed from a monster Cascade Range volcano eons ago.

I wonder each year if I still have what it takes to climb roads like Honey Run with any vigor. Although most of the faster riders left earlier than we did, my brother and I managed to pass, without trying to race, at least a couple hundred cyclists on the way to Paradise. That's what lots of miles and thousands of feet of climbing up the steepest streets in Los Angeles did for me.

My friend, Rich, reaches the heights of Paradise on his old Serrota Atlanta, which drew many admiring glances. From there, it was a few rollers to reach the first rest stop.

~ I'll add a few more photos, including those of the crux of the ride, up Table Mountain, further down this post. ~
    Last edited by icyclist; 05-05-13 at 02:18 AM.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the wildflower/Wildcat this year. It's my third trip to Chico for this ride and it is really a good one. This year was a bonus with light winds for the last 30 miles in the valley. I highly recommend this ride.

Tom
    Central Oregon 500
    mbsef.org

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sun-Scenery and a few slopes.

What's not to like. By the look of things only the state of the road in that 4th picture.

Insert "Green Envy Emoticon" here.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Sun-Scenery and a few slopes.

What's not to like. By the look of things only the state of the road in that 4th picture.

Insert "Green Envy Emoticon" here.
    It's fairly cool where you are, isn't it? Around 10 C for the high for your day? It was about 29 C in Los Angeles, today.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first rest stop included fruit and pastries and water and energy replacement drinks.

We left Paradise via a series of short uphills and some fast descents, and then a miles-long, 40 mph run past the massive Oroville reservoir. Above, my brother, Dan. He looks likes he could ride the Tour de France - he's 61.

We dropped out of the pine forest and into the oaks and orchards and pastures of flatter lands.

After another rest stop, Table Mountain loomed above us.

Se began the long, hot climb up Cherokee Road, the major climb of the day. The road was steep in places, and mostly exposed to the heat of sun.

Muscle, bone, blood, breath - bit by by, pedal stroke by pedal stroke, I made my way toward the top of Table Mountain, a vast plateau. Some cyclists pedaled faster than others, some were forced to stop and rest or even walk.

"...when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning” - Hesoid, ancient Greek poet. Above: the eagerly anticipated rest stop at the end of the climb up Table Mountain.

We returned to Chico and the fairgrounds, partook of the finishers' dinner, and then, as the day had cooled, we pedaled a few extra miles through Bidwell Park, the town's civic pride and joy.

It was time to say goodbye to my friends and to my college town, to Table Mountain and the Sacramento Valley, to the Covered Bridge and Paradise. While it was time to break the physical connections I'd made long ago, I have my memories, and I plan to reconnect in person, on the next Wildflower Century.
    Last edited by icyclist; 05-06-13 at 01:05 AM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
    It's fairly cool where you are, isn't it? Around 10 C for the high for your day? It was about 29 C in Los Angeles, today.
    Warming up a bit but the problem is the cooling wind that can make it cold. Today is forecast to get into the 60---make that high 60's for a spell- so it is warming nicely. My problem in 90f would be that we are not used to it but it would be nice to experience how you suffer in the heat.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great ride report and really nice photos. I rode Wildflower about 5 years ago. Beautiful route and such a departure from the cool wet pacific northwest springtime weather I am used to.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great day out.

Well done on doing it on an old-school mtb as against what looks like the vast majority on road bikes.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most excellent!

Did you GPS this? I'd love to see the route.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an excellent ride report and some neat pictures, I enjoyed this thread, you did an excellent job of giving us your feelings on the ride. How are you doing now? I seem to remember you had a hard get off a few months back, hope everything healed up well.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, and I love the Memorial Arch.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice photos. It was a bit warm for the ride!
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice ride report--well written--and lovely photographs. Thanks for sharing your experience and your feelings.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another six easy miles took us through Butte Canyon, where miners dredged for riches during the state's famous Gold Rush in the mid 1800's, and to the wonderful Honey Run Road Covered Bridge, spanning Butte Creek. I recall kissing my girlfriend, Nancy, one dark winter night under the roof of the bridge. We walked out onto the span, the sound of our footfalls echoing beneath the roof, the waters of the creek burbling below. And when we kissed, the night went suddenly silent.
    ^ That is great prose, sir. In fact, the entire write up is great!

I've done the SLO Wildflower, but not the one in Chico. After seeing/reading that, the Chico wildflower is on my list.

We left Paradise via a series of short uphills and some fast descents, and then a miles-long, 40 mph run past the massive Oroville reservoir.

Not to be a creeper or anything, but she is beautiful! Kinda epitomizes a ride on a warm summer day.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ... wait a minute. Other than the obvious answer (42), what's the meaning of life?
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Hey ... wait a minute. Other than the obvious answer (42), what's the meaning of life?
    42 is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    icyclist, really enjoyed the pictures and the prose. Thanks for posting, made my morning
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this. Nice photos!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical for California! Re-pave the car lanes, but leave the shoulder where bicycles ride unpaved and rough.

I really enjoyed your travelogue and photographs. You're quite the romantic.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Looks like a great day out.

Well done on doing it on an old-school mtb as against what looks like the vast majority on road bikes.
    I'll pass your compliment onto my brother - he was on the mt. bike (although I've made that ride on my own mt. bike, too). He looks better than me in photos, anyway.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Most excellent!

Did you GPS this? I'd love to see the route.
    Here's the original route that I usually follow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2051745

The organizers this year offered several other routes: http://www.chicovelo.org/main/century-series

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    That is an excellent ride report and some neat pictures, I enjoyed this thread, you did an excellent job of giving us your feelings on the ride. How are you doing now? I seem to remember you had a hard get off a few months back, hope everything healed up well.

Bill
    Hi, Bill,

I'm good. I did an impressive flip over the handlebars in November - broken wrist and collarbone. Both have healed as well as they can, at least good enough to let me ride my bike and post on BF.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet report and pictures! I appreciate your thought that there are "no athiests on group rides." The outdoors, community, common effort and feeling more alive are great spiritual events.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for a great post. Any idea how much climbing there was?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You face kinda looks like "Clay" (Ron Perlman) from Sons of Anarchy!

cast-Perlman.jpg
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast