Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-13, 07:08 AM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
This is why my C&V bikes have gears

Too funny

"...this middle-aged avowed Manhattanite checked into the Wythe and spent a long weekend trying to educate himself, canvassing Kings County’s artisan-loving, kale-devouring epicenter. “Brooklyn” is now a byword for cool from Paris to Sweden to the Middle East".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/02/fa...mid=fb-nytimes
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-13 at 08:04 AM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 08:55 AM   #2
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Wow. That article must have been truly hip as I didn't understand a single sentence and I was born in Brooklyn. My real contribution to this thread is the vital piece of knowledge that the best cheese cake in the known universe is to be had only the the Sheepshead area of Brooklyn which is a Jewish neighborhood.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 09:12 AM   #3
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
To get away from hipsters?
[h=2]"This is why my C&V bikes have gears"[/h]
Old 05-03-13, 09:47 AM   #4
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
To get away from hipsters?
I am actually happy when I see anyone using a bike. Chicago is full of cyclist and every tribe is represented. It's not unusual for a Triathlete on a TT bike to be seen along with a commuter on a Fixie.

It's funny to me. I'm pleasure and fitness cyclist. My vintage bikes get regular use, but I like to increase the number of cogs and chainrings when I restore a bike.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-03-13, 10:39 AM   #5
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
.... My vintage bikes get regular use, but I like to increase the number of cogs and chainrings when I restore a bike.
I'm sure you can appreciate this as a mid-westerner, but a lot of the classic San Renshos from the '70s and '80s have morphed into wretched hipster bikes.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 11:03 AM   #6
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I am actually happy when I see anyone using a bike. Chicago is full of cyclist and every tribe is represented. It's not unusual for a Triathlete on a TT bike to be seen along with a commuter on a Fixie.

It's funny to me. I'm pleasure and fitness cyclist. My vintage bikes get regular use, but I like to increase the number of cogs and chainrings when I restore a bike.
Personally, I have no issue with them fixying them but I dislike when they chop them up to do it, not my bikes though, and at least the bike is getting used.. but it still makes me twitch.
Old 05-03-13, 03:34 PM   #7
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
I'm sure you can appreciate this as a mid-westerner, but a lot of the classic San Renshos from the '70s and '80s have morphed into wretched hipster bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
Personally, I have no issue with them fixying them but I dislike when they chop them up to do it, not my bikes though, and at least the bike is getting used.. but it still makes me twitch.
This one made me twitch: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3774872427.html
Old 05-03-13, 03:41 PM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
For that price, I imagine you have to cut the U-Lock yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 03:46 PM   #9
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Interesting read------

There is no place like home! I like my triple crank, the double seems anemic.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote