Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-inforced lesson about beauty

While cycling along the shores of most waterways it's difficult to not be awestruck by the large and beautiful residences that usually line their shores. Lake Ontario is no exception. This little place on Beach Avenue grabbed my attention as I rode by it today...

The lawn is full and rich and weed free, the trim paint is fresh and not peeling, all the gardens and plantings look so nice and appealing from the road.

Then I eventually arrived home to my little non-paradise. My lawn consists of several tufts of grass, a lot of moss, a never ending array of weeds, and lots of bare spots. In my defense though, many of the tufts of grass do merge together, well a few of them do anyway. The paint is peeling off most of my window trim and my decorative shutters are in dis-repair.

As I leaned back in the seat on my Tour Easy I couldn't help but feel a bit remiss about the condition of my little piece of the world. What a mess! Then, I noticed the lonely white Tulip. Jeepers it sure looks pretty if you just ignore its bleak surroundings. I wonder........

I whipped out my trusty Canon (camera) and started playing around in the yard. Look at what I saw.

Tell me please, who decided that these were weeds and why do we so fervently dig them out of our lawns every year?

My lesson remembered today was that to appreciate the true beauty of everything one needs only to find the proper perspective.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-03-13 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! I spent over an hour in hot weather pulling weeds out of the parkway in front of my home. I'm going to show your photos - and thoughts - to my wife.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures, as always, Lenny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you home to enjoy your tulip I suspect the guy on Beach Avenue was at work to pay the gardner, decorator, mortgage, housekeeper, painter.....
    priorities.

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sail View Post
    While you home to enjoy your tulip I suspect the guy on Beach Avenue was at work to pay the gardner, decorator, mortgage, housekeeper, painter.....
    priorities.
    Spot on!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty durn good pic...Thanks
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty flowers.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dandelions are also very tasty in a salad, or wilted with a bacon dressing. You do have to pick the leaves while they are still young though. They become bitter once they flower.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You show pics of that innocent-looking yellow flower, yet I look out at the scabrous patch of partial puffballs drooping from those ugly long rubbery stalks, which is infesting my front yard, and I want to go bonkers, and spray the Planet with Agent Orange!

I really need to try some of those recipes for Dandelion Tea/Coffee, with all the tap roots I've been tapping. I swear some of those roots were bigger than a regular size carrot! The incredible edible dandelion...
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 05-03-13 at 11:03 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

Then I eventually arrived home to my little non-paradise. My lawn consists of several tufts of grass, a lot of moss, a never ending array of weeds, and lots of bare spots. In my defense though, many of the tufts of grass do merge together, well a few of them do anyway. The paint is peeling off most of my window trim and my decorative shutters are in dis-repair.

As I leaned back in the seat on my Tour Easy I couldn't help but feel a bit remiss about the condition of my little piece of the world. What a mess! Then, I noticed the lonely white Tulip. Jeepers it sure looks pretty if you just ignore its bleak surroundings. I wonder........
    A year ahead of you on the retirement stakes and you have a busy summer ahead of you. Won't go through the list of last years jobs but only one left over from then and I am waiting for the weather to get right before the shed gets reroofed. That is providing this years list does not get in the way beforehand.

But don't worry about the state of the house and garden--unless it needs doing urgently--Tomorrow will still be there next year aswell.

About those dandelions they are weeds. But a weed is only a plant that is in the wrong place. I have plenty of alpine violets that spring up everywhere and as for that little fern the wife bought that seeds everywhere? ? ? Only good thing about dandelions is that the chickens love them-so do the rabbits and they are another problem.

Glad to see that you have time to look around your patch to find the faults that need rectifying--but finding them is one thing. Finding time and enthusiasm to sort them is another matter. But as I say--There is always tomorrow providing it does not affect the important things in life.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are certainly right about all the beauty around us when we take the time to notice. This past week has been perfect with day after day of blue skies and warm spring days. The world seems especially fecund with all the critters pairing up, trees leafing out and wild bursts of color everywhere. On the cycling side, I've finally been able to begin piling on some miles whereas earlier this year, for various reasons, mileage and fitness were down. This past week I rode an area I'd ridden once before but this time I was able to connect to that area from home. Life is sweet.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You realize of course that the only thing in the world that's really fair is time. Everybody gets exactly the same number of hours in a week. The fellow who owns that house is to be pitied because it takes so much time to keep up his lawn that he has to choose between paying somebody else to maintain it or having no time to ride his bicycle.

Lawns consisting of a few tufts of grass, moss, a never ending array of weeds, and lots of bare spots are good. If you do it right you can smell somebody else's roses. Congratulations on your life choices.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 05-04-13 at 09:17 AM.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Tell me please, who decided that these were weeds and why do we so fervently dig them out of our lawns every year?
    Them's good eatin' too!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lovely pictures.

I live in a neighborhood of yard nazis. They spend hours on their landscaping. I spend hours on my bike. I spend a few bucks a year to have someone who knows what they're doing fix up the yard once or twice a year. It's all good.