Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring cleaning and best wishes for the day.

Had to sort the bike shed yesterday but I got side tracked. Have 4 bikes that I regularly ride and other than essential maintenance- they have not been fully serviced or cleaned for a long time. So started on one bike while the wife was out for the day and didn't even manage to clean that one properly. Took the chance while the wife was out to sort a new LBS and haven't found one. My old one is going down the pan and carries so little good stock of spares that I have given up on them. Only went in there for a couple of cables and I always use stainless steel and like the Shimano ones that I used to buy for $3. He no longer carries them but has another make that is nicely packaged instead of being loose and cost $6. Wanted brake blocks but if I want the ones I normally use he will have to order them. Same on many items so it looks like he is in money troubles.

There is another shop that seems to have picked up all his lost trade but after going in and looking round- he is not to the standard I want. Listened to him selling a couple of bikes and he was not listening to the buyers. One a newcomer that wants to start riding with a road bike on a budget and I don't think he was given the best advice. The other was looking for a 105 or Ultegra equipped bike to better the Tiagra equipped Raleigh he had and the bikes he suggested were not much better than the one he had.

So looks like internet shopping for me from now on.

But today is a special day for most of our generation.

So Happy "Star Wars Day" everyone.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear of an LBS going down hill, another loss for cycling. Luckily my LBS is going well, they aren't fad catchers and watch for the staples we all need. The other two here are in poor shape, much like your shop you described. One changed hands a few months back so I need to see what happened there, the other flew too high with multiple locations and many lines of bikes, the overhead killed them, I think. they dropped Trek and its associated lines and their inventory is very low on staples and such. I received a gift card from my brother for this one and I have used exactly 15.00 USD so far, out of the ton it has on it. Nothing to buy there for me.

Star Wars? Never was a big fan of it. Today is stage 1 of the Giro and that is what I am watching right now.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "May the 4th" be with you.

And the Giro is my afternoon entertainment for the next 3 weeks no matter how good the weather "may" be. Thank heaven for Eurosport 2 on satellite.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shops around here are disappointing also.I visit 4.Shop 1 has few bikes and tires in stock.Reason Most of his customers know what bike they want and just order from him.The last set of tires he said he can order them for me(I can do that and pay less) I came here because I just thought you might have something in stock that I wanted to buy.BECAUSE I want it now.Shop 2 Owner speaks with a heavy accent I'm missing about 20% of what he is saying.I'm not sure sometimes if I bought a bike or sold him a bike.When I ask him a question he replies "you know more about bikes than I do".Shop 3 Father and son shop.I always have the father wait on me.Not by choice.Every thing I ask him he runs it by his son when he frees up some time.This drives me crazy.I did need a part once and the father told the son what I needed.The son finished up with a customer and looked for the part.he spent about 20 mins searching came up with it and charged me a buck. So I remember the help.Shop 4 This guy has sales and if you stop in once in awhile one can pick up a good deal.Last visit he asked if he could be of help.I replied just browsing.Shop was now buzzing with customers,I'm trying to get some help now.Forget it.he is ignoring me.There are good shops according to friends that ride but they are all at least 45 mins away.So I make do with these reality show bike shops.Here is an idea well a thought out bike shop trained people on the floor.A franchised LBS.Or do they exist already.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    The bike shops around here are disappointing also.I visit 4.Shop 1 has few bikes and tires in stock.Reason Most of his customers know what bike they want and just order from him.The last set of tires he said he can order them for me(I can do that and pay less) I came here because I just thought you might have something in stock that I wanted to buy.BECAUSE I want it now.Shop 2 Owner speaks with a heavy accent I'm missing about 20% of what he is saying.I'm not sure sometimes if I bought a bike or sold him a bike.When I ask him a question he replies "you know more about bikes than I do".Shop 3 Father and son shop.I always have the father wait on me.Not by choice.Every thing I ask him he runs it by his son when he frees up some time.This drives me crazy.I did need a part once and the father told the son what I needed.The son finished up with a customer and looked for the part.he spent about 20 mins searching came up with it and charged me a buck. So I remember the help.Shop 4 This guy has sales and if you stop in once in awhile one can pick up a good deal.Last visit he asked if he could be of help.I replied just browsing.Shop was now buzzing with customers,I'm trying to get some help now.Forget it.he is ignoring me.There are good shops according to friends that ride but they are all at least 45 mins away.So I make do with these reality show bike shops.Here is an idea well a thought out bike shop trained people on the floor.A franchised LBS.Or do they exist already.
    REI in East Hanover has knowledgable and friendly staff. They don't keep a real deep parts inventory of small parts, but for tools, cables, bottom bracket cartridges, and accessories, they are very good.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyager, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1