Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de Mayberry

Great route, great roads, terrific support but lousy road markings, weather and overall turnout.

I rode the century but added a few miles due to wrong turns. Sometimes I had to re-climb hills I wasn't supposed to descend.........I wasn't alone though. Very unusual road markings-at least I had not seen these types used before. I don't think I ever figured out if a marking wanted you to make a turn or go straight. I wasn't alone as others had the same issue. Hard to describe what they used. Instead of common "pointed" arrows they used "sticks" with a "wing" coming off to one side of the stick, or half of a pointed arrow in some cases. It also seemed to mean different things at different places. I had a chance to talk with the fella who did the markings at the end of the ride and he was making his case about how they are correct and the official way to mark routes. The ride organizer pointed out how everyone was making wrong turns so maybe he needed to rethink what he had done????? Oh well......

Weather was pretty cool, but if you were dressed for it, it was great. However the wind was steady 15 mph and gusted to how knows what........I was behind one fella with deeper rims and when we came out from some cover to an opening the wind moved his front wheel over so much it scared him.

The feature climb was Pilot Knob State Park which was 2+ miles at 10% average with pitches to 19%. I thought we were doing it late in the ride but as it turned out we did it at about 20 miles so that was nice to do that climb with fresh legs. There were lots of other shorter climbs at 13-15%.

There were only 7-8 of us doing the 100 miler. I didn't finish first or last.........but rode just about solo the entire ride.

I think I did the 100 miles in 6 hr 30 mins. It had about 7600 ft of climbing. Basically a pretty good training ride.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. We had far more do the century on the TdC:Hampton Roads. Sorry your road markings were iffy. Suggest that they talk to the Chesapeake office of the TdC in VA. The markings were excellent even after the storm and winds from the evening before. Support, Rest stops and intersections, was outstanding IMHO for my TdC. I did mine in 6hr 30min of travel and about 7hr 30min total. Yours is more impressive since you had far more climbing than I. Are you diabetic or were you supporting a diabetic or just the cause?

Again, good job--good cause.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You chose the right ride even with the road marking issues. Cashiers was a mess in the rain. Parts of the course remained dry but up on the ridges it was cold, windy and wet. A friend had a car pull out in front of him near the end of the ride on a descent and he went to the hospital with a broken hip and pelvis. He'll have surgery tomorrow. Glad you had a better ride. Also, a rider died on the Lookout Mountain descent at 3 State - 3 Mountain when he crossed into an oncoming car. Lots of other crashes on that ride in the rain. Be safe out there.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    You chose the right ride even with the road marking issues. Cashiers was a mess in the rain. Parts of the course remained dry but up on the ridges it was cold, windy and wet. A friend had a car pull out in front of him near the end of the ride on a descent and he went to the hospital with a broken hip and pelvis. He'll have surgery tomorrow. Glad you had a better ride. Also, a rider died on the Lookout Mountain descent at 3 State - 3 Mountain when he crossed into an oncoming car. Lots of other crashes on that ride in the rain. Be safe out there.
    Oh my. I tried 3 state twice and the weather was horrible both times. It was a long way to drive for horrible conditions. I really hate to hear about the fatality and the crash up your way.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news in those events this weekend. It seems there is always a wreck on mountain events and they are usually on a descent. I believe they had to air lift someone out that crashed last year at Cashiers (century rider on one of the fist descents).

I rode the Tour de Mayberry a few years ago and it was a nice event. They staged it out of Veterans Park but I guess they have now moved it to Riverside Park. I used to park at Riverside and ride two or three gaps (to the Parkway) or, on to Meadows of Dan for lunch then return. There are some good routes around Mt. Airy although dogs can sometimes be a problem.

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the fatality on Lookout Mtn (3 states). Unfortunately, the only surprise for me is that it took so long. Ochs Highway has had a nasty longitudinal crack (2-3" wide, 15-25' long) for at least 4 years now. I slowed down to avoid it back then, and a couple riders flew into the other lane rather than slow going downhill. It was still there last year. This year I passed on that ride.