Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife and Son's First Ride

While I was doing today's 100 miler my wife and son participated in the 20 mile route. It was my wife's first bike ride since her hip replacement in October. She had not ridden in at least a couple years prior to that. She told my son she would ride if he would ride with her.

It was also my son's first ride on a "road bike". I took my Trek 5900 which is two sizes too large for him and dropped the seat as low as it would go. I also swapped the stem for a much shorter stem and installed platform pedals. This bike has the 50/34 crank and 11/32 cassette so he had some really easy gears for the hills. He said he really enjoyed riding the bike and found the hills very manageable.

I also loaned him some cycling garments that were a size or so too large but they seemed to work okay for today----the beauty of spandex. I doubt he'll be a regular rider but but at least he had a favorable ride even though it was too cool and VERY windy.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can see a larger Bike shed being required now.

Wait a year or so and you can buy him that 14lbs bike with 1,000 gramme wheels. Then introduce him to girls and you will have acquired N+1 without the wife realising it

Great to have another rider in the offing but it does mean that the new golf clubs may have to wait for a while.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Can see a larger Bike shed being required now.

Wait a year or so and you can buy him that 14lbs bike with 1,000 gramme wheels. Then introduce him to girls and you will have acquired N+1 without the wife realising it

Great to have another rider in the offing but it does mean that the new golf clubs may have to wait for a while.
    When I think about the bikes I started with, him riding the Trek 5900 is not a bad start at all. Especially since it is outfitted with DuraAce and 1400 gram wheels. That has always been a great riding bike as well-the one I've used on all my week long tours. Very comfortable and a great all round bike.

I have more golf clubs than what I know what to do with. I've fine tuned my set over the years and I just don't need any more clubs. I'm very happy with what I have. However I have so many clubs in the garage I can put together a couple sets for another foursome and not miss a club.......

My wife needs a new bike if she is going to ride any at all. She is pretty short and really needs a WSD frame to give her a more comfortable fit. I bought a bike several years ago that my kids and her could use with adjustments for each but I think she has gotten even shorter over the years. Plus she is the shortest one in the group.........
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She may be the shortest one in the flock but we all know who rules the roost.